Are men really dirtier than women?

• Thread starter Gabrielle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Women
In summary: Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.I think you're probably right about the bacteria but don't forget. It's not just bacteria we're dealing with. There are also viruses and funguses and a few other nasties like prions.In summary, a recent study confirmed that men are dirtier than women, with one-quarter of men not washing their hands after using the restroom. In contrast, 90 percent of women were observed washing their hands. This study also revealed that 83 percent of people in general wash their hands, which is an improvement from previous studies. The American Society of Microbiology sponsors an education campaign about the importance of hand-washing in preventing the spread of infectious diseases. Some individuals may take
Gabrielle
I saw this article in today's edition of the Kennebec Journal:

Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005

Men's hands dirtier than women's, study says

By LAURAN NEERGAARD

Associated Press

WASHINGTON - Men are dirtier than women. So scientists confirmed by spying in public restrooms, watching as one-quarter of men left without washing their hands.

The worst offenders were at an Atlanta Braves game.

In contrast, 90 percent of the women did wash up.

Wednesday's results mark the American Society of Microbiology's latest look at how many people take what is considered the single easiest step to staying healthy: spending 20 seconds rubbing with soap under the faucet.

It also explains why these infection experts tend to use paper towels to open bathroom doors. There is no telling what germs the person before you left on the knob.

''It's a gamble,'' said microbiologist Judy Daly of Primary Children's Medical Center in Salt Lake City, the society's secretary.

Back in 1996, the society first studied how often people follow mom's advice to always wash up after using the toilet. Researchers lingered in public restrooms, putting on makeup or combing their hair, while surreptitiously counting. They concluded about one-third of people did not wash.

The group sponsored an education campaign about how hand-washing can stop the spread of flu, diarrhea and other infectious diseases. Every few years, researchers repeat the spying.

This time, 83 percent of people washed, reported Harris Interactive, a research company that last month monitored more than 6,300 public restroom users for the society.

For complete article, follow the link:

http://www.montereyherald.com/mld/montereyherald/living/health/12712019.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Misleading title :frown:

Yeah, I think they are dirtier! Even mentally.

Why is it necessary to wash ones hands after urinating? Isn't urine sterile? I make a point of touching nothing in a public bathroom, I imagine the faucet handles are quite filthy too.

There can also be blood in urine, which could transmit disease.

As an undergrad I used to work as a janitor.

Women's restrooms were invariably dirtier than men's restrooms.

Can't blame them for washing their hands more.

Lisa! said:
Yeah, I think they are dirtier! Even mentally.

I beg to differ.

sean1234 said:
Why is it necessary to wash ones hands after urinating? Isn't urine sterile? I make a point of touching nothing in a public bathroom, I imagine the faucet handles are quite filthy too.
Next time you're shaking another guy's hand, say in an off-hand way "I just fondled my penis while urinating, and didn't bother to wash off afterwards, you don't mind that do you?"

You will be a first-hand witness to a very interesting reaction.

Bio-Hazard said:
I beg to differ.
Why? Don't you see the result of the research?

Wow, I'm surprised that they found so many people washing their hands. My guess would have been much lower.
I wash my hands religiously. o:)

Maybe socially it's not desirable, but there is no threat to you if someone goes number 1 doesn't wash their hands, then shakes your hand. It is not something I would desire, but I won't worry about it. Really I would rather shake someones hand who has just fondled his penis, risk that so called contamination over the many other far more undesirables that come in contact with your hand every day.

sean1234 said:
Why is it necessary to wash ones hands after urinating? Isn't urine sterile?
I would presume if you're male that you're not holding your hand in your urine stream but holding the outside of your penis to direct the urine flow. Also, urine is not sterile if it is passing through an infected bladder or urethra.

Choose for yourself.
If you think the faucet handles are filthy, you might use some toilet paper to open and close them.

arildno said:
Choose for yourself.
If you think the faucet handles are filthy, you might use some toilet paper to open and close them.

How sterile is toilet paper?

I mean it's pretty clean when it rolls off the assembly line, but don't people usually tough the part of the roll that they don't use when ripping off the part that they do use?

I think we should wear gloves when we want to shake someone's hand or perhaps use tissue!

honestrosewater said:
.I wash my hands religiously. o:)

As do i, before and after, not during, hopefully :biggrin:

matthyaouw said:
Misleading title :frown:

You and me both, let's sue for false advertising. :rofl:

wolram said:
As do i, before and after, not during, hopefully :biggrin:
Before? :confused: Ah, bacon bits are always Robin Hood for a bubble bath.

honestrosewater said:
Before? :confused: Ah, bacon bits are always Robin Hood for a bubble bath.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

arildno said:
Choose for yourself.

I work for the Bureau of Health and that's why this article was of particular interest to me. I know people that won't even touch the handle on the toilet. Instead, they flush the toilet with their shoe. I'm sure this isn't a common practice but some people also take a piece of toilet paper and flush it so their hands don't have to touch the handle. Of course, many office buildings have toilets that flush by themselves.

I realize that there is such a thing as being obsessive about cleanliness but it's better than not using good hygiene practices at all. I've always been diligent about washing my hands and I very rarely get a cold. Years have gone by without my getting a single, solitary cold so I think it helps to wash your hands as often as possible.

honestrosewater said:
Wow, I wash my hands religiously. o:)

And do you pray to the soap god then?

selfAdjoint said:
And do you pray to the soap god then?
Yes, for strength - and to the germ god for mercy. Doesn't everyone?

Don't worry honestrosewater. You are not alone. Have you heard the mantra of the Cult of Soap? "Cleanliness is next to Godliness."

After looking them up I see they are about 200 pages apart in my dictionary. I wonder what they mean.

Gabrielle said:
I know people that won't even touch the handle on the toilet. Instead, they flush the toilet with their shoe.

I may have to become one of them, now that i know that the stuff from the floor gets put on the handle :yuck:

matthyaouw said:
I may have to become one of them, now that i know that the stuff from the floor gets put on the handle :yuck:

Actually I've used my shoe many times, mostly when using the bathroom in a george webbs or some greasy truck stop.

Congratulations guys, you've just given me another aversion. :wink:

I wash my hands after posting in GD.

After all of those things that you come into contact with during your average day, don't you think it would be a good idea to wash your hands before and after you urinate?

matthyaouw said:

Yes, you've got a good point. They're not being very considerate of other people by transferring the dirt from the floor and the bottom of their shoe to the handle.

I also found a related article in the same newspaper. It's from the Scripps Howard News Service:

Every parent knows that elementary schools are notorious germ factories.

But professional microbiologists associated with the nonprofit "Scrub Club" did an experiment with a typical elementary school this month and found fewer germs in places where they might be expected--restrooms, desk tops and on door handles--and far more where they didn't expect to find them.

Cafeteria trays, for example, had 10 times the germs found on toilet seats, and higher levels were also found on headphones and computer keyboards. But the highest amount of bacteria was found on the spigot of a drinking fountain--2.7 million bacterial cells per square inch.

"This was just a snapshot in time of an average classroom at the beginning of the year," said Jerry Bowman, director of communications for a nonprofit agency that runs the Scrub Club, a partner with the government's Fight BAC program to reduce bacterial infections in children ages 3 through 8.

With the annual flu season beginning next month, Bowman said the findings should be a lesson to teachers and parents about the importance of proper hand washing. The Centers for Disease Control estimates there are 164 million school days lost to illness each year, which could be reduced with proper hand washing.

"We're trying to educate children on the most important public health thing they can do--wash their hands properly," he said.

The Scrub Club is trying to tell children not to just swish their hands under water, but follow a five step procedure that includes rubbing soapy hands for 20 seconds--twice the time it takes to sing Happy Birthday--and using a nail brush.

I'm not sure about the nail brush part unless you've been working in the garden or on a greasy car. I do think that people should spend more than just a "moment in time" to wash their hands properly.

A few years ago I was watching the Tonight Show and he had a teacher on there from Middlesex Community College in Massachusetts who taught a course in proper handwashing. Leno was polite, ofcourse, but the whole scene was a spoof on her and the school and the absurdity of the class. The school has since stopped offering the class.

I was my hands to avoid consuming arsenic.

About the only reason since I've watched detective conan. I don't want a woman I love to kill me by accident when I truly love her and it becomes too late for her to find out.

Lisa! said:
I think we should wear gloves when we want to shake someone's hand or perhaps use tissue!
Oh, the perverse Western custom of taking off one's gloves for shaking hands!

I've had a couple jobs where I had to clean the woman's restroom. They are ALWAYS more filthy than the mens room. Used toilet paper and used female hygiene products on the floor. AND the most annoying thing of all is that so many of them leave urine on the toilet seat because they 'hover' over the toilet instead of sitting on it. And why do they do this? Because of all the other broads like them that 'hover' over the toilet seats and leave urine on them!

Anyway while I always wash my hands I have no especial fear of germs. Back when I was pushing shopping carts and handling money I used to get sick at least once a year. In the past three years or so I haven't been sick once. There are certain things that carry quite a bit of germs and as long as you aren't over exposed to them you should be fine. Unless ofcourse your immune system are a bunch of pansies because you have been over protective of germ exposure.

sean1234 said:
Maybe socially it's not desirable, but there is no threat to you if someone goes number 1 doesn't wash their hands, then shakes your hand. It is not something I would desire, but I won't worry about it. Really I would rather shake someones hand who has just fondled his penis, risk that so called contamination over the many other far more undesirables that come in contact with your hand every day.
What about STDs?