Are men wired differently than women?

• Thread starter Gabrielle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Women
In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between men and women and their skills in domestic chores and handyman work. The speaker shares a story about her father's talent for repurposing items and organizing tools, particularly screwdrivers. The conversation then delves into societal expectations and conditioning for men and women in terms of household duties and retirement. There is also a mention of brain structure differences between men and women, but the focus is on individual interests and abilities, rather than gender.
Gabrielle
Are men wired differently than women?
Let me count the ways.

This became more evident when my father was working on one of his handyman projects. My father can make things out of leftover pieces of wood from other projects. He's skilled in the art of recycling things around the house and always manages to find a use for something that was previously used for something else. Often he doesn't even have to leave the dooryard when he's inspired to start one of his "works in progress." It's almost uncanny.

On Saturday, I was out in the shed and was looking over his latest project. He had been organizing his tools and just generally tidying up the shed. At one time, there was a barn but it was torn down many years ago. The sills were rotting and my father didn't want to put the money into it at the time. The more valuable items were sold to an antique dealer, some other things to a junk dealer, quite a few things were thrown out or hauled away. Everything left was consolidated and stored in the shed and attached workshop. He has since built two storage buildings (one for his lawn tractor).

Well, I was out in the shed and I marvelled at the screwdrivers lined up along the wall. My father had made something out of leftover remnants of wood and had drilled holes to put the screwdrivers in (all 44 of them). Yes, there were so many, I just had to count them. I even took the time to measure the holders. One piece was 36 inches long and the other one was 28 inches long. The screwdrivers looked like soldiers all lined up in a neat row. I went in the house and asked my father how he had managed to accumulate so many screwdrivers. He said "Actually, that's not all of them. There are more--8 or 10 or so in a a plastic container." I went out and there were actually 13 which makes a total of 57 screwdrivers. Some of them had already been in the house when they first bought it back in 1962.

The point I'm trying to make is, do you see many women with 57 screwdrivers in their possession? I'm not trying to suggest that there aren't exceptions. Perhaps women don't have time to learn how to do the handy-dandy work that a lot of men do because they're too busy cooking, cleaning, taking care of children and working full-time on top of that.

Many men today share the responsibilities of housework, cooking and child care with their mate or spouse. But there are still a few stragglers from the "old school" that still think, "That's women's work." Back in the 60's, there were still a lot of women that weren't in the workplace and my mother was one of them. She worked very hard taking care of us, the house and making sure all the bills were paid. She managed money very well.

Maybe if the tables were turned and women picked up a hammer and nails, men would be forced to do some of the work that women have always been expected to do for thousands of years. I think it's true that women are better at some of the more domestic chores than men, or did this just come about because of all the centuries of conditioning? Sometimes I think that men are just as capable but they're just not quite as fussy as women about some things. Do you think men care if there's a little wrinkle in the kitchen curtains before they're hung up to the windows? Do they care if the Hummel in the china closet is gently washed and polished to a brilliant shine so that you can see your face in it? Anyway, you get my drift. I think some women prefer to do some things themselves because they are more particular about how some things are done. Other women aren't quite as fussy.

I've always thought that men were better at fixing things than women. Again, is this just conditioning? I'm sure there are women who are equally skilled in mechanics or other jobs that are generally thought of as men's work.

Something else I was thinking about - husbands and wives may share domestic duties and yardwork while they're still employed. Do men feel that their wives or mates should do the bulk of the housework once they're retired? Do they suddenly think that because their wife is no longer in the workplace, she now has all this time on her hands to do all the housework? In the last four decades, as many women as men have been out in the workplace. Men were then prompted to share the duties around the house, as it should be. Do you think that some men revert to their "old way" of thinking after they retire thinking that this "arrangement" is no longer necessary?

Anyway, I'm going in all different directions with this, so I'll let everyone take it from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh boy, Gabrielle, this opens a tin of worms, basically, leave the women to
Their stuff, and us guys to our stuff, and now we will hear how lady X can
change her plugs, put up dry wall and fix electrics, well there may be a few
goddesses out there, but don't wait to long.

Domestic chores? Pffft! That's what I want a rich husband for, to hire a maid to do that stuff!

Men and women ARE wired differently (in terms of brain structure), but that doesn't have much to do with being a do-it-yourselfer. I don't understand how ANYONE can enjoy doing laundry or washing dishes or vacuuming the carpets, but grab your power tools and build something from scratch, now that's a fun accomplishment! :approve:

Moonbear said:
Domestic chores? Pffft! That's what I want a rich husband for, to hire a maid to do that stuff!

Men and women ARE wired differently (in terms of brain structure), but that doesn't have much to do with being a do-it-yourselfer. I don't understand how ANYONE can enjoy doing laundry or washing dishes or vacuuming the carpets, but grab your power tools and build something from scratch, now that's a fun accomplishment! :approve:

I actually don't mind doing laundry and dishes. I don't have a dishwasher either. I like folding clothes and I like the way clothes smell when you hang them outdoors. Someone who had been in the Navy showed me how he folds socks. You put the two together and turn the tops inside out so that they're tucked inside each other and shake them out. They're held together and you'll never lose one when they're folded this way. I haven't described it very well but I like folding them that way. As to vacuuming, it's all in the equipment. I'm often more motivated if I have some new fandangled equipment. Somewhere out there, the perfect vacuum cleaner awaits. That subject could be worth a whole new thread.

Wait a minute...women are wired ??! :eek:

<runs from onslaught of rotten fruits & vegetables, dirty laundry, lint, mold, dust, and the rare piece of drywall>

Gabrielle said:
I actually don't mind doing laundry and dishes. I don't have a dishwasher either. I like folding clothes and I like the way clothes smell when you hang them outdoors. Someone who had been in the Navy showed me how he folds socks. You put the two together and turn the tops inside out so that they're tucked inside each other and shake them out. They're held together and you'll never lose one when they're folded this way. I haven't described it very well but I like folding them that way. As to vacuuming, it's all in the equipment. I'm often more motivated if I have some new fandangled equipment. Somewhere out there, the perfect vacuum cleaner awaits. That subject could be worth a whole new thread.
You're supposed to fold clothes? I prefer the method of leaving them in the laundry basket until it's time to wear them again. :biggrin: It is best to buy wrinkle-resistant clothes if you use this method. I don't mind tossing laundry into the washer and then transferring to the dryer, it's the folding I hate...what a time-consuming and boring chore! Feel free to visit and fold laundry any time you need a folding fix. :biggrin:

Gokul43201 said:
Wait a minute...women are wired ??! :eek:
Uh huh. *grabs jumper cables and approaches Gokul with a menacing glare while snapping the clamps open and closed* Let me show you just what I do with these wires. :devil:

:biggrin:

Whats so difficult about doing the dishes? or the washing? or even cooking? I would love to be a househusband, could do the washing, dishes and cooking and still have plenty of time to play around with my car.

Andy said:
Whats so difficult about doing the dishes? or the washing? or even cooking? I would love to be a househusband, could do the washing, dishes and cooking and still have plenty of time to play around with my car.
Washing isn't difficult, that's why it's so horrendously boring! Cooking depends on what you're cooking. I love to cook large meals for groups of people, but when I'm just hungry after work and need to cook something quick for myself, it's a boring chore. But if you really enjoy it...wanna marry me? :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Washing isn't difficult, that's why it's so horrendously boring! Cooking depends on what you're cooking. I love to cook large meals for groups of people, but when I'm just hungry after work and need to cook something quick for myself, it's a boring chore. But if you really enjoy it...wanna marry me? :biggrin:

It's certainly a plus to find a man who doesn't mind doing those things. When both are working, it's nice to be able to share these duties.

Moonbear said:
You're supposed to fold clothes? I prefer the method of leaving them in the laundry basket until it's time to wear them again. :biggrin: It is best to buy wrinkle-resistant clothes if you use this method. I don't mind tossing laundry into the washer and then transferring to the dryer, it's the folding I hate...what a time-consuming and boring chore! Feel free to visit and fold laundry any time you need a folding fix. :biggrin:

I fold towels, sheets, underwear and some of the clothes. The rest I hang on hangers right out of the dryer. I take them out of the dryer as soon as I hear the buzzer. Sometimes I keep checking before the buzzer actually goes off. Some of the lighter items dry quicker than the others. Of course, this probably makes the light bill higher by opening and closing the dryer more often.

I'll try to find some extra time to do some of your folding.

Originally posted by moonbear
Washing isn't difficult, that's why it's so horrendously boring! Cooking depends on what you're cooking. I love to cook large meals for groups of people, but when I'm just hungry after work and need to cook something quick for myself, it's a boring chore. But if you really enjoy it...wanna marry me?

I enjoy cooking is good fun trying different ways of preparing a good meal, but as for the rest of the housework i look at it as just being chores that need to be done before i get to work on my car.

And yes, I do. :!)

Moonbear said:
Uh huh. *grabs jumper cables and approaches Gokul with a menacing glare while snapping the clamps open and closed* Let me show you just what I do with these wires. :devil:

:biggrin:

You finish the electrical work and I'll do the patching. Should be a simple matter to secure him to the wall with duct tape, and then plaster over. :devil: :biggrin:

Math Is Hard said:
You finish the electrical work and I'll do the patching. Should be a simple matter to secure him to the wall with duct tape, and then plaster over. :devil: :biggrin:
But won't people notice the Gokul-shaped lump on the wall when it starts mumbling for help?

A woman with 57 screwdrivers? Probably not, 57 pairs of shoes, or 57 purses, or 114 lipsticks, that sounds more like a woman. While they are wired differently, as different as a battleship and a rowboat, they do have similarities, in that they simply collect different toys!

Why does the man have the screwdrivers, the other tools, and the woman the lipstick and purses? She is the sex object, he the protector and together they join strengths to form a formidable Darwinian synergy of survival and reproducibility. I suspect we're wired differently to maximize each of our own separate strengths in this regards as Natural Selection carefully joins man and woman into a unifying whole greater than the sum of its parts. :smile:

Integral said:
A woman with 57 screwdrivers? Probably not, 57 pairs of shoes, or 57 purses, or 114 lipsticks, that sounds more like a woman. While they are wired differently, as different as a battleship and a rowboat, they do have similarities, in that they simply collect different toys!
:grumpy: I have 3 lipsticks, but only 2 that I wear (the other one is too dark...I should throw it out). I definitely have more screwdrivers than lipsticks or shoes (do the screwdriver bits for the electric drill count?)

So which is better: a Phillips screw or slot-headed screw? Is it just my imagination, or does a Phillips screwdriver fit more sizes of Phillips screws than a flat head screwdriver fits slot-headed screws?

honestrosewater said:
So which is better: a Phillips screw or slot-headed screw? Is it just my imagination, or does a Phillips screwdriver fit more sizes of Phillips screws than a flat head screwdriver fits slot-headed screws?
There are different sized phillips screwdrivers, and there is a need for them, using the wrong sized driver can lead to the destruction of the screw head.

My apologies Moonbear, clearly you are NOT a sterotypical woman.. This can be good, or...? o:)

Moonie-a white woman. Fits Peru.

Integral said:
There are different sized phillips screwdrivers, and there is a need for them, using the wrong sized driver can lead to the destruction of the screw head.
Is the driver head supposed to fit completely into the screw head? That is, can a driver be too big for a screw even if it fits? Er, I mean, if only a portion of the driver head fits, I can still use it, right? I just shouldn't use it if it's too small? Eh. :blushing:

honestrosewater said:
Is the driver head supposed to fit completely into the screw head? That is, can a driver be too big for a screw even if it fits? Er, I mean, if only a portion of the driver head fits, I can still use it, right? I just shouldn't use it if it's too small? Eh. :blushing:

(note to self: quote out of context at a later date)

honestrosewater said:

matthyaouw said:
(note to self: quote out of context at a later date)
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

It should fit snugly in the slots (for either interpretion of the question). If it's too small or too big, it won't grab well and you'll end up with it slipping around stripping the head of the screw.

Last edited:
honestrosewater said:
Drivers are screw slots are sized, and you want to use the right driver/bit. Go too small and you'll probably strip the screw head; too big and you won't get enough torque - and if you try real hard you'll strip the head anyway. Most screw heads fit a #2 Phillips driver. Again, the most popular size is the #2 (trivia question : What's common to mechanical pencils and phillips head drivers ?).

Trying to extract a screw with a stripped head isn't fun !

Integral said:
My apologies Moonbear, clearly you are NOT a sterotypical woman.. This can be good, or...? o:)
The only "stereotypical" trait I have is that I have no interest in sitting around watching sports. But that's the problem with stereotypes; they aren't terribly accurate.

Moonbear said:
:grumpy: I have 3 lipsticks, but only 2 that I wear (the other one is too dark...I should throw it out).
Lemme guess, YSL #44 ?
I definitely have more screwdrivers than lipsticks or shoes (do the screwdriver bits for the electric drill count?)
Every bit counts. :smile:

honestrosewater said:
if only a portion of the driver head fits, I can still use it, right? I just shouldn't use it if it's too small? Eh. :blushing:
Both correct, in my experience.

EnumaElish said:
Lemme guess, YSL #44 ?
:rofl: I had to google that to even figure out what that was supposed to be (I was wondering if you were testing me on some obscure screwdriver). Definitely not. I would never spend that much on a lipstick! I don't know what they are...something with a purple tube/case/thingy...whatever you call the plastic part that the lipstick is in, found in the grocery store, and probably around $5, which I still think is overpriced for something that's mostly going to wind up on my coffee cup or eaten within the first half hour of wearing it. I tried one of those "long-lasting" ones once, but it felt like I had applied spackle to my lips. :yuck:

Moonbear said:
:rofl: I had to google that to even figure out what that was supposed to be (I was wondering if you were testing me on some obscure screwdriver).
I was going to test you. Do you have a screwdriver with an indicator light for active circuitry?

ooh i have to electircal screwdrivers like that, one for car electrics and the other for house hold electrics. I have about 20 different screwdrivers and another 24 screwdriver bits that also use torx and hex shaped heads.

:smile: My tool kit:

b1_1_bo.JPG

Oooooh, I want MIH's tool kit!

Evo said:
Oooooh, I want MIH's tool kit!

(Note to self: quote out of context at a later date.)

Math Is Hard said:
:smile: My tool kit:
Yikes !

Take that abomination away from our impressionable eyes. Out ! Out ! Out !

What is this world coming to anyway ? :mad:

matthyaouw said:
(Note to self: quote out of context at a later date.)
Would've been nicer if she'd called it a 'box'...

<MIH : You have no idea what it's taking to resist saying oh so many things>