Drag racer velocity and acceleration

In summary, this conversation is about a drag racer starting from rest and accelerating for 402 m with an acceleration of +23.0 m/s2 before a parachute opens, which then slows the car down with an acceleration of -6.70 m/s2. The question is asking for the speed of the racer 3.35 102 m after the parachute opens. The problem involves kinematics and finding the final velocity using the equation vf = vi + a*t. However, the time is not given, so a different equation may need to be used. It is also not given what the initial velocity is, but it can be assumed to be zero since the car starts from rest.
deuceszbigz

Homework Statement

A drag racer, starting from rest, speeds up for 402 m with an acceleration of +23.0 m/s2. A parachute then opens, slowing the car down with an acceleration of -6.70 m/s2. How fast is the racer moving 3.35 102 m after the parachute opens?

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

?

I have no clue where to begin this problem. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
In order to get help here you have to show some work. It's the rules. You can't possibly know NOTHING about this problem. Give me your thoughts at least. What equations will be involved? What principles are involved?

It is clearly a kinematics problem, so I am guessing it has to do with acceleration and velocity. All the variables are given in terms of acceleration and the final answer has to be in terms of velocity, so I assume the starting equation will be: vf = vi + a*t. The only thing is that any of the equations I look at, they are all missing two or more variables.

Ok, now do you know the time the parachute opens or is this not given?

If your not given the time, I suggest looking for a different equation.

It is not given. It does not give initial velocity either.

Ok, then, can you find the time that the car reaches the 402m mark from the information given?

EDIT: Also, if the car starts at rest, what is the initial velocity?

Last edited:

Related to Drag racer velocity and acceleration

1. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration in drag racing?

Velocity is a measure of the speed and direction of an object, while acceleration is the rate at which the velocity of an object changes over time. In drag racing, velocity refers to how fast a car is traveling in a straight line, while acceleration refers to how quickly the car is increasing its speed.

2. How do you calculate velocity and acceleration in drag racing?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it takes to travel that distance. Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time it takes to change. In drag racing, these calculations can be done using specialized equipment such as a speedometer and a timer.

3. What factors affect the velocity and acceleration of a drag racer?

The weight of the car, the power of the engine, the type of tires, and the track conditions all play a role in determining the velocity and acceleration of a drag racer. The aerodynamics of the car and the skill of the driver also have an impact.

4. How does air resistance affect the velocity and acceleration of a drag racer?

In drag racing, air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly impact the velocity and acceleration of a car. The shape and design of the car can affect how much drag it experiences, and the faster the car goes, the more drag it will encounter, which can slow down its acceleration.

5. What is the significance of velocity and acceleration in drag racing?

Velocity and acceleration are crucial factors in drag racing as they determine how quickly a car can cover a certain distance. These measures also play a role in determining the winner of a race and can help teams make adjustments to improve the performance of their car on the track.