Calculating Recoil Energy and Velocity for Hydrogen Atom Transition [SOLVED]

• Thread starter cks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the problem involves calculating the recoil energy and velocity of a hydrogen atom during a transition from state n = 4 to n = 1, where a photon is emitted. The equations used are E = -13.5/n^2 and E = mc^2/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2). After solving, the recoil energy is found to be 1.50 * 10^-10 J, and it should only include the kinetic energy, not the rest energy.
cks
[SOLVED] recoil energy

Homework Statement

Calculate the recoil energy and velocity of a hydrogen atom in a transition from
the state « = 4 to the state AT = 1, in which a photon is emitted.

Homework Equations

E=-13.5/n^2

E=mc^2/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

|E4-E1|=13.6-13.6/16 eV = 12.75 eV

Invoking the total energy,

Before emission
mc^2 = E recoil + |E4-E1|=> E recoil = 1.50 *10^-10 J

I couldn't get the correct answer. I wonder what is wrong? am I understanding the meaning of recoil energy wrongly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Recoil energy only pertains to the KE, and should not include the rest energy.

Thank you, I finally got it.

[tex] {\frac {-1/4\,i}{w}}[/tex]

What is recoil energy?

Recoil energy is the kinetic energy acquired by a body as a result of its sudden change in momentum due to the release of energy or force in the opposite direction. In simpler terms, it is the energy that an object gains in the opposite direction when it is pushed or pulled.

What causes recoil energy?

The release of energy or force in the opposite direction causes recoil energy. This can be due to a variety of factors such as firing a gun, releasing a compressed spring, or even jumping off a diving board. Any action that involves the sudden release of energy or force can result in recoil energy.

Is recoil energy harmful?

It depends on the magnitude of the recoil energy and the object it is acting upon. In some cases, recoil energy can result in injuries or damage to objects. For example, the recoil energy of a gun can cause harm to the shooter's shoulder or the gun itself. However, in most cases, recoil energy is not harmful and is just a natural consequence of the laws of physics.

How is recoil energy calculated?

The formula for calculating recoil energy is E = 1/2 * m * v^2, where E is the recoil energy, m is the mass of the object, and v is the velocity at which the object is moving in the opposite direction. This formula is derived from the law of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a system remains constant.

How can recoil energy be reduced?

To reduce recoil energy, the force or energy released in the opposite direction needs to be minimized. This can be achieved by using devices such as recoil-absorbing pads or muzzle brakes on guns. Additionally, using lighter objects or reducing the velocity at which the object is moving can also help in reducing recoil energy.