Energy of Li2+ atom according to Bohr's model

In summary, the question is asking for the kinetic and potential energy in the second excited state of Li2+ when n=1 is taken as the reference point for potential energy. From the given formula, the kinetic energy is equal to 13.6 eV. The potential energy for n=1 is -27.2 eV, but since we are considering it as zero for this question, the potential energy in the second excited state will be 217.6 eV. This can be calculated by first finding the potential energy for n=3 with a reference point at infinity, and then taking the difference. The expression for potential energy in terms of Z can be found using the formula kq1q2/r.
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member

Homework Statement

If n=1 is taken to be the reference of the potential energy, what will be the kinetic and potential energy in second excited state of Li2+?

Homework Equations

E=-13.6z^2/n^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know KE is independent of reference point, so from the formula above, KE=13.6 as KE=(-)E for a hydrogen like atom. Now, PE for n=1 is -27.2 eV but we consider it zero here, since it is a mcq question and only one option is positive I know the correct answer is 217.6 eV. This should be calculated by first calculating PE of n=3 with 0 at infinity and then noting the difference but I don't know the expression for PE in terms of Z, I'd appreciate some help-thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I just obtained one using kq1q2/r then replacing the values, I'll test whether that gives a correct value or not and return

Alright, it did. It was quite simple in fact. Thank you @Krushnaraj Pandya

1. What is the energy level of a Li2+ atom according to Bohr's model?

The energy level of a Li2+ atom according to Bohr's model is -3.4 eV.

2. How is the energy of a Li2+ atom calculated in Bohr's model?

The energy of a Li2+ atom is calculated by using the equation E = -13.6 eV/n^2, where n is the principal quantum number.

3. What is the significance of the negative sign in the energy value of a Li2+ atom?

The negative sign in the energy value of a Li2+ atom indicates that the atom is in a bound state, meaning that it is held together by the attraction between the positively charged nucleus and the negatively charged electrons.

4. How does the energy of a Li2+ atom change as the principal quantum number increases?

As the principal quantum number increases, the energy of a Li2+ atom becomes less negative, meaning that the electron is moving farther away from the nucleus and the atom becomes more stable.

5. Can the energy of a Li2+ atom ever be zero according to Bohr's model?

No, according to Bohr's model, the lowest possible energy level for a Li2+ atom is -3.4 eV. This means that the electron can never have zero energy and will always be in motion around the nucleus.