How to find the formula of an ionic compound if all you have is

In summary, to determine the formula of an ionic compound using only the charges of the ions, you must first identify the ions present and then determine the lowest common multiple of the ion charges. If you know the number of each type of ion present, you can use the "criss-cross" method to determine the formula. The periodic table can also be used to find the charge of an ion, which can help in determining the formula. An ionic compound can be binary or ternary depending on the number of different types of ions present. If you only have the name of the compound, you can use a reference table or online resource to find the charges of the ions and then use the same steps to determine the formula.
gotmilk954
How to find the formula of an ionic compound if all you have is...

the weight of the sample and the conductivity of the given sample and of a conductivity standard already found?

Ive been stuck on this for hours X)

Chemistry news on Phys.org

Please elaborate. You probably have to check in tables, or your sample is just one of a few possible. Or both.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I determine the formula of an ionic compound if all I have is the charges of the ions?

To find the formula of an ionic compound using only the charges of the ions, you must first identify the ions present in the compound. Then, determine the lowest common multiple of the ion charges. The formula will be the cation followed by the anion, with the subscripts indicating the ratio of each ion in the compound.

2. What is the process for finding the formula of an ionic compound if I know the number of each type of ion present?

If you know the number of each type of ion present, you can use the "criss-cross" method to determine the formula. Write the symbol for the cation and the subscript for the anion, then switch the subscripts and write them as the final formula. Remember to simplify the subscripts if possible.

3. Can I use the periodic table to find the formula of an ionic compound?

Yes, the periodic table can be a helpful tool in determining the formula of an ionic compound. It can be used to determine the charge of an ion based on its location in the periodic table. For example, elements in Group 1 have a +1 charge, while elements in Group 17 have a -1 charge.

4. How can I tell if an ionic compound is binary or ternary?

An ionic compound is considered binary if it contains only two different types of ions. A ternary ionic compound contains three or more different types of ions. To determine the type, identify the ions present and count the number of each type.

5. What if I only have the name of the ionic compound? How can I find its formula?

If you only have the name of the ionic compound, you can use a reference table or online resource to determine the charges of the ions present. Then, follow the steps outlined in the first question to find the formula using the ion charges.