AP PHYSICS ~ FLUIDS ~ A cube of osmium with a volume of

In summary, the density of osmium can be determined by dividing its apparent weight (35.0 N) by the volume of the cube (166 cm³), which is equivalent to 0.000166 m³. This gives a density of 21506 kg/m³.
Silverbolt
A cube of osmium with a volume of 166 cm³ is placed in fresh water. The cube's apparent weight is 35.0 N. What is the density of osmium?This is what I did:

I converted force to mass by : 35 N / 9.8 = 3.57 kg

then changed the 166 cm³ to m³ which is : .000166 m³

After that i divided the mass and the volume: (3.57 kg)/(.000166 m³)

And so I got the density as 21506 kg/m³
PLEASE HELP ME IF I'M WRONG

Physics news on Phys.org
What did you do with the Archimedes principle/force ?

Your conversion from cm^3 to m^3 was off, it's actually 1.66m^3, you move it two decimal places to the left.

Silverbolt said:
then changed the 166 cm³ to m³ which is : .000166 m³

That is correct, and iilego's post #3 is wrong.

The question says "the cube was placed in fresh water". You haven't used that information anywhere. What difference does it make if the cube is in water or in air?

cm equals .01 meters, which is two decimal places to the left, am I wrong? I never mentioned anything about the answer, just that his conversion was off on the volume.

If 1 cm = 0.01 m, then (1 cm)^3 = 1 cm^3 = (0.01 m)^3 = 10^(-6) m^3

1m^3 is rather a large volume

never mind, I was wrong, the conversion was right, sorry :(

Related to AP PHYSICS ~ FLUIDS ~ A cube of osmium with a volume of

1. What is the density of the cube of osmium?

The density of osmium, a dense and heavy metal, is 22.59 g/cm3.

2. How do you calculate the mass of the cube of osmium?

The mass of an object is equal to its density multiplied by its volume. In this case, the mass of the cube of osmium can be calculated by multiplying its volume (given in the problem) with the density of osmium.

3. What is the weight of the cube of osmium in a vacuum on Earth?

The weight of an object is equal to its mass multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity. On Earth, the acceleration due to gravity is approximately 9.8 m/s2. Therefore, the weight of the cube of osmium can be calculated by multiplying its mass (calculated in the previous question) with 9.8 m/s2.

4. How does the volume of the cube of osmium compare to other materials?

The volume of the cube of osmium, as given in the problem, is specific to that particular cube. However, osmium is known for its high density and heavy weight, so it would typically have a smaller volume compared to other materials with the same mass.

5. What is the significance of using osmium in this problem?

Osmium is often used in physics problems as an example of a very dense and heavy material. It has a high density and weight, making it a good candidate for demonstrating principles of fluid mechanics and buoyancy. Additionally, osmium has various practical applications in industries such as electronics and medicine.