How can I determine the shape of an oldie acid molecule?

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to various questions involving finding the dimensions of a molecule and Avogadro's constant. The speaker has successfully solved questions A and B, but is unsure about how to start on question C. They have used the formula for volume of a cuboid to find the answer for question A, but are unsure of how to use it to find the dimension for question C. They also mention using the formula p = m/v to solve question D, with the help of the previous question's volume and the molecular mass. The conversation ends with the speaker asking for help with solving questions C and D.
hexanimal
Homework Statement
Finding dimension of molecule and avagadros constant
Relevant Equations
Na = N/n
v = lwh
I have done all of the questions apart from c and d. For a I got the answer 2.58*10^_5 cm^3
B) 3.72*10^-7 cm
But for c I don’t really know how to start. I first thought of using the formula for volume of cuboid but don’t know how that’d give the answer for the dimension.
For D, I turned the density from 890 kg m^-3 to 0.89 g cm^-3, found the molecular mass to be 282 and from my previous question used the volume v = 2.58*10^-5 to get mass = 2.2962*10^-5g from the formula p =m/v.
I’d just like to know how to do c and d, thanks for your help

Attachments

• 71CCD00E-2B18-4329-B9E4-5278E5A79F74.jpeg
    71CCD00E-2B18-4329-B9E4-5278E5A79F74.jpeg
    92 KB · Views: 53
Physics news on Phys.org
hexanimal said:
Homework Statement:: Finding dimension of molecule and avagadros constant
Relevant Equations:: Na = N/n
v = lwh

But for c I don’t really know how to start.
Consider one molecule. How is it oriented on the water? Where are other molecules in relation to it?

1. What methods can be used to determine the shape of an oldie acid molecule?

There are several methods that can be used to determine the shape of an oldie acid molecule, including X-ray crystallography, nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy, and computational modeling.

2. How does X-ray crystallography work in determining molecular shape?

X-ray crystallography involves shining X-rays onto a crystallized sample of the oldie acid molecule. The X-rays diffract off the atoms in the molecule, producing a diffraction pattern that can be used to determine the positions of the atoms and the overall shape of the molecule.

3. What information can be obtained from NMR spectroscopy in determining molecular shape?

NMR spectroscopy measures the interactions between atomic nuclei in a molecule. By analyzing these interactions, the relative positions of the atoms and the overall shape of the molecule can be determined.

4. Can computational modeling accurately determine the shape of an oldie acid molecule?

Yes, computational modeling uses powerful computer algorithms to simulate the behavior and interactions of atoms in a molecule. This can provide an accurate representation of the molecule's shape.

5. Are there any limitations to determining the shape of an oldie acid molecule?

While modern techniques such as X-ray crystallography and NMR spectroscopy can provide highly accurate results, there may still be some limitations in determining the exact shape of a complex oldie acid molecule. Computational modeling can also be limited by the accuracy of the input data and the complexity of the molecule being studied.