Projectile motion - Finding velocity (not given time or angle)

In summary, A baseball is hit with an unknown velocity and reaches a maximum height of 20.0m before traveling 90.0m and hitting the ground. The attempt at a solution involved attempting to find the time using the peak height and doubling it, but this was unsuccessful due to a lack of a given angle. The conversation then prompts the individual to make equations using the given data, which ultimately leads to finding the initial velocity of the ball.
vbillej

Homework Statement

A baseball is hit so that it reaches a maximum height of 20.0m and travels 90.0m before hitting the ground. With what velocity is the ball hit?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm confused, i went into trying to find the time but i couldn't without a given angle. I went to say that 20.0 is the peak so time to the peak would double for the total time but couldn't get time.

This also blocked me to find the initial velocity of y and x.
need help please.

Physics news on Phys.org
vbillej said:

I went to say that 20.0 is the peak so time to the peak would double for the total time but couldn't get time.

Fine, you were on the right track.

I ask you two questions - what are the expressions for greatest distance and highest distance?

You have been given two pieces of data, right? Make an equation, man!

Distance traveled is 90 m. From this piece, you can get a relation between speed and angle.

Also, from the peak being 20 m above, you can get another relation between speed and angle.

That'd be enough, actually!

yea got the equation now, solved it in the shower haha. Thanks for the reply

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity, where the only force acting on the object is the force of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. How is velocity calculated in projectile motion?

The velocity of a projectile can be calculated using the formula V = √(V02 + 2aΔy), where V0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and Δy is the vertical displacement of the projectile.

3. Can velocity be found without knowing the time or angle?

Yes, velocity can be calculated without knowing the time or angle. In order to find the velocity, you will need to know the initial velocity, the vertical displacement, and the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What is the role of gravity in projectile motion?

Gravity is the only force acting on a projectile, causing it to accelerate towards the ground. It determines the shape of the projectile's path and affects its velocity and acceleration.

5. Can the velocity of a projectile change during its motion?

Yes, the velocity of a projectile can change during its motion. It changes due to the constant acceleration caused by gravity, which acts in the downward direction and increases the velocity of the projectile as it falls towards the ground.