Projectile Motion Problem: Kicking a soccer ball over a fence

salqmander
Homework Statement
A soccer player is practicing their kick on a field. Initially at rest, an 0.8 kilogram ball is kicked directly toward a fence from a distance 25 meters away, as shown above. The ball's velocity as it leaves the kicker's foot is 19 m/s at an angle of 30 degrees above the horizontal. The top of the fence field is 2.5 meters high. The kicker's foot is in contact with the ball for 0.05 seconds. While in flight, the ball doesn't hit any other object, and air resistance is negligible.

Determine whether the ball will hit the fence. If it will, how high up the fence will it hit? If not, how far above the fence will it reach?
Relevant Equations
d = vt + .5at^2
initial velocity y component is (cos30) * 20.

t = 25m / ((cos30) * 20)m/s = 1.45 seconds

d = vt + .5at^2

v= 20sin30

v= 10 , d= 10(1.45s) + .5(-9.8m/s^s)(1.45s)^2

d=4.2m

4.2-2.5 = +1.7m, so the ball will not hit the fence

I need confirmation please

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good, except you use ##20 m/s## instead of ##19 m/s## given in the question?

Likes topsquark
oh I didn't catch that! i'll fix it, thank you

salqmander said:
Have another go (and I'm not referring to whether it's 19 or 20).

should I use the equation
xf = xi + (vx)i delta t
for time and then
yf = yi + vyi delta t- 1/2g t ^2

haruspex said:
Have another go (and I'm not referring to whether it's 19 or 20).
is this right?

xf = xi + (vx)i delta t, xi=0

t = xf / vxi

t = 25m / 19m/s, t = 1.3 seconds
vyi = vi sin theta, vyi = 9.5m/s

= 0m + 9.5m/s(1.5) - 0.5(9.8m/s^2)(1.5)^2

yf = 3.2m

3.2-2.5 = +0.7m

salqmander said:
is this right?

xf = xi + (vx)i delta t, xi=0

t = xf / vxi

vyi = vi sin theta, vyi = 9.5m/s

= 0m + 9.5m/s(1.5) - 0.5(9.8m/s^2)(1.5)^2

yf = 3.2m

3.2-2.5 = +0.7m
In post #4 I quoted one of your equations. Why am I finding fault with it?

oh its sin not cos

salqmander said:
t = xf / vxi

Also, do you see a similar problem above?

kuruman said:
Also, do you see a similar problem above?
yes, i solved for horizontal position not vertical position

salqmander said:
yes, i solved for horizontal position not vertical position
That's not it. You solved for the time of flight. Do you see what's wrong with it?

salqmander said:
Homework Statement: A soccer player is practicing their kick on a field. Initially at rest, an 0.8 kilogram ball is kicked directly toward a fence from a distance 25 meters away, as shown above. The ball's velocity as it leaves the kicker's foot is 19 m/s at an angle of 30 degrees above the horizontal. The top of the fence field is 2.5 meters high. The kicker's foot is in contact with the ball for 0.05 seconds. While in flight, the ball doesn't hit any other object, and air resistance is negligible.

Determine whether the ball will hit the fence. If it will, how high up the fence will it hit? If not, how far above the fence will it reach?
Relevant Equations: d = vt + .5at^2

t = 25m / ((cos30) * 20)m/s = 1.45 seconds

d = vt + .5at^2

v= 20sin30

v= 10 , d= 10(1.45s) + .5(-9.8m/s^s)(1.45s)^2

d=4.2m

4.2-2.5 = +1.7m, so the ball will not hit the fence

I need confirmation please
This solution was correct, apart from the typo(?) of y component, rather than x component. It was subsequently used as the x-component. And, the use of the wrong initial speed. Subsequent attempts seem to have deteriorated somewhat!

Likes haruspex

1. How do you calculate the initial velocity of the soccer ball?

The initial velocity of the soccer ball can be calculated using the formula v = d/t, where v is the velocity, d is the distance, and t is the time. In this case, the distance would be the height of the fence and the time would be the time it takes for the ball to reach the top of the fence. This can be determined by dividing the height of the fence by the time it takes for the ball to reach the top.

2. What factors affect the trajectory of the soccer ball?

The trajectory of the soccer ball is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity, the angle at which the ball is kicked, air resistance, and gravity. These factors can be manipulated to achieve a desired trajectory.

3. How does air resistance affect the motion of the soccer ball?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can slow down the motion of the soccer ball and change its trajectory. This is because as the ball moves through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion. This force increases as the speed of the ball increases, causing it to slow down and deviate from its original path.

4. How do you calculate the maximum height and range of the soccer ball?

The maximum height and range of the soccer ball can be calculated using the formulas h = (v^2 * sin^2θ)/2g and R = (v^2 * sin2θ)/g, where h is the maximum height, R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of the kick, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. These formulas take into account the initial velocity, angle, and gravitational pull to determine the maximum height and range of the ball.

5. Can the trajectory of the soccer ball be affected by external factors?

Yes, the trajectory of the soccer ball can be affected by external factors such as wind, air temperature, and air density. These factors can alter the air resistance and gravitational pull on the ball, causing it to deviate from its intended path. It is important to take these factors into account when calculating the trajectory of the ball.