Static fluid pressure. What did I do wrong?

In summary, the problem is calculating the depth of mud that will cause a 3m concrete retaining wall to tip about its forward edge A. The density of mud is 1760 kg/m3 and the density of concrete is 2400 kg/m3. The solution involves considering the weight of the wall as well as the force exerted by the mud, and summing the moments around point B rather than point A. The width of the slab is 0.8m as stated in the book.
frozenguy

Homework Statement

Calculate the depth h of mud for which the 3m concrete retaining wall is on the verge of tipping about its forward edge A. The density of mud may be taken to be 1760 kg/m3 and that of concrete to be 2400 kg/m3

The Attempt at a Solution

So I made A actually at 1.5m down from the top of the concrete wall. I figured Rb=R from the mud because of Sum of Fx. Then I just considered the weight of the wall as well.

I assumed for a 1m wide slab.
5177.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Does the problem state that the concrete slab is rotating about "A"? It looks to me that if the slab gets pushed over by the force of the mud it will rotate about "B". If you sum the moments about B you can get rid of the force exerted by the ground on the slab at that point. Where did the .8 m slab width come from?

RTW69 said:
Does the problem state that the concrete slab is rotating about "A"? It looks to me that if the slab gets pushed over by the force of the mud it will rotate about "B". If you sum the moments about B you can get rid of the force exerted by the ground on the slab at that point. Where did the .8 m slab width come from?

The 0.8 came from the book, I assumed the 1m depth into the paper.

Yeah that makes about it tipping over its forward lower edge, I just thought I could work it out with b in there.

But summing around that point seems like it makes more sense, plus my moment arms will be easier to calculate.

1. What is static fluid pressure?

Static fluid pressure is the pressure exerted by a fluid at rest. It is a measure of the force exerted by the weight of the fluid on a given area.

2. How is static fluid pressure calculated?

Static fluid pressure can be calculated using the equation P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the fluid column.

3. What factors affect static fluid pressure?

The factors that affect static fluid pressure include the density of the fluid, the depth of the fluid, and the acceleration due to gravity. The shape and size of the container holding the fluid can also affect the pressure.

4. Why is it important to understand static fluid pressure?

Understanding static fluid pressure is important in many fields, such as engineering, physics, and meteorology. It helps us to understand how fluids behave and how they exert pressure on objects, which is crucial in designing structures and predicting weather patterns.

5. What are some common mistakes made when dealing with static fluid pressure?

Some common mistakes when dealing with static fluid pressure include using the wrong units for density or height, not accounting for the effects of atmospheric pressure, and not considering the effects of different fluid densities at different depths. It is also important to make sure that all calculations are done accurately and with the correct equations.