Amatuer question about electron drift speed.

In summary, the electron velocity in a conductor is limited by the resistive effect of collisions and the voltage drop across the conductor.
wil3
I'm teaching myself some physics, and I am having some difficulty with the concept of drift speed. My book derived the time between collisions using

ma=Eq

and then substituting the acceleration into the first equation of kinematics and solving for v(final) as the drift speed. The time it took for the average velocity to increase from zero to the drift speed was equal to the time between collisions.

My question is: Why do the electrons cease to accelerate above the drift speed? I am aware that the drift speed is an average, but it seems like a constant emf in a circuit would cause the average velocity to gradually grow. Even if each elastic collision resets the velocity of the progenitor electron to zero, it seems that, with a constant field, eventually the circuit "runs out" of electrons traveling below the drift speed.

So, why don't the electrons keep accelerating in a circuit? Thank you very much for any help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
See Wiki on electron mobility at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_mobility

As the electron velocity increases in a drift field, the inelastic electron (and hole) collisions increase to the point that the energy lost per cm equals the energy gained, so the velocity does not increase further, unless the drift field is increased. Conductors never "run out" of conduction electrons. There are roughly 6 x 1023 conduction electrons per gram molecular weight in a conductor. An average conduction electron drift velocity of 1 cm/sec in copper corresponds to a current of about 13,000 amps per cm2.

Bob S

Even in a vacuum, an electron will only reach a speed such that its Kinetic Energy is equal to its charge times the voltage across the gap. The field across a conductor is very small, too, so one wouldn't expect high velocity. (For a perfect conductor the field would be zero, even.) The resistive effect of interactions and the voltage drop across the conductor are, of course, related and must tie in with the limit to the acquired (additional, mean) electron velocity due to 'collisions'. Remember, the mean square (thermal) velocity of the electrons is pretty high in comparison with the drift speed.

1. What is electron drift speed?

Electron drift speed is the average velocity at which electrons move through a conductor in an electric current. It is measured in meters per second (m/s) or centimeters per second (cm/s).

2. How is electron drift speed related to electric current?

Electric current is defined as the amount of charge passing through a conductor per unit time. The electron drift speed is directly proportional to the electric current, meaning that as the electric current increases, so does the electron drift speed.

3. What factors affect electron drift speed?

The electron drift speed is affected by the material of the conductor, the cross-sectional area of the conductor, and the strength of the electric field. Materials with higher conductivity, larger cross-sectional areas, and stronger electric fields will have higher electron drift speeds. Temperature also plays a role, as higher temperatures can increase the resistance of a material and decrease the electron drift speed.

4. Can electron drift speed be measured?

Yes, electron drift speed can be measured using various experimental techniques such as Hall effect measurements, drift tube experiments, and time-of-flight measurements. These methods involve measuring the time it takes for electrons to travel a known distance in a conductor.

5. Why is electron drift speed important?

Electron drift speed is important because it helps us understand how electric currents flow through conductors and how different materials affect the flow of electrons. It also has practical applications in fields such as electronics, where the speed of electrons plays a crucial role in the functioning of devices such as transistors and integrated circuits.