Any chance of an artificial Lymph gland?

• Medical
  • Thread starter sophiecentaur
  • Start date
In summary: True, of course if a couple of those cells doesn't make to Lymph-land, you're going to have neoplasms as PART of the Lymph tissue, and it we've seen what happens to most people in that situation. Better to be without some lymph nodes until a cloning method for the tissue can be perfected. As I said, Livers and hearts are easier! What a concept that is, but true.Kinda sad, too.Perhaps in a few years people like Anthony Atala will grow a lymph gland using the recipients tissues and then it won't be rejected. I realize a lymph gland is more complex than a bladder but the bladder was old news and I would bet his technique has included more
sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Many people have Lymph glands / nodes (?) removed during cancer surgery. This, I believe, gives rise to a lot of subsequent problems due to high levels of fluid which has not been returned to the bloodstream.
We can make dialysis machines which keep people alive for years and it seems a not too dissimilar function. I have never heard of artificial help / transplants / implants for the lymphatic system. Why is this?

Biology news on Phys.org
The issue is that the blood is easily contained in vessels, under pressure. Lymph can be siphoned, but it pervades tissue, so dialysis is flat out. Transplantation of lymph nodes would be instant rejection, so the only treatment I can imagine would be cloning or stem cell therapies which do not yet exist. It would be easier to grow and transplant a liver or heart.

In answer, no.

A general problem with transplants is that they are rejected by the body. The body does not recognize it as its own system, and makes antibodies to attack and destroy it. People with transplants have to be on immunosupressant drugs the rest of their lives, so that their immune system does not attack the needed organ.

So, lymph is part of the immune system. It would just attack it, like any other transplant, and immonsupressant drugs would be dumb, since it IS part of the immune system.

So NO, that would be bad.

GreatEscapist said:
In answer, no.

A general problem with transplants is that they are rejected by the body. The body does not recognize it as its own system, and makes antibodies to attack and destroy it. People with transplants have to be on immunosupressant drugs the rest of their lives, so that their immune system does not attack the needed organ.

So, lymph is part of the immune system. It would just attack it, like any other transplant, and immonsupressant drugs would be dumb, since it IS part of the immune system.

So NO, that would be bad.

Well said. :)

IcedEcliptic said:
Well said. :)

I try. :wink:

In all seriousness, this is a major problem in most transplants. That's why we are trying to advance stem cells so much- because the body would not reject that kind of grown organ/tissue/etc.

GreatEscapist said:
I try. :wink:

In all seriousness, this is a major problem in most transplants. That's why we are trying to advance stem cells so much- because the body would not reject that kind of grown organ/tissue/etc.

True, of course if a couple of those cells doesn't make to Lymph-land, you're going to have neoplasms as PART of the Lymph tissue, and it we've seen what happens to most people in that situation. Better to be without some lymph nodes until a cloning method for the tissue can be perfected. As I said, Livers and hearts are easier! What a concept that is, but true.

Kinda sad, too.

Perhaps in a few years people like Anthony Atala will grow a lymph gland using the recipients tissues and then it won't be rejected. I realize a lymph gland is more complex than a bladder but the bladder was old news and I would bet his technique has included more complex organs by now. Of course medical culture might take a long time to adapt to the idea of vat-grown organs and who knows how long (maybe even weeks or a few months) to grow one or what the price will be.

Last edited:
This is interesting info. Thanks, people.
I wonder whether any though has been given to grafting healthy lymph glands from one place to another in a patient's body. Lymph glands are not part of the general anatomical knowledge that you get from School and The Press so I have no idea how complex they are. But we do have quite a lot of them all over our bodies and, on a superficial level, it would seem to be a good idea to spread them out if possible.

FAQ: Any chance of an artificial Lymph gland?

1. What is an artificial Lymph gland?

An artificial Lymph gland is a man-made device designed to mimic the function of the body's natural lymph glands. These glands are part of the lymphatic system, which helps filter and remove waste, toxins, and other harmful substances from the body.

2. Why would we need an artificial Lymph gland?

There are several reasons why an artificial Lymph gland might be needed. One possible reason is if a person's natural lymph glands are damaged or removed due to injury or disease. Another reason could be to enhance the body's immune system and improve overall health.

3. How does an artificial Lymph gland work?

An artificial Lymph gland works by using special filters and pumps to mimic the function of the body's natural lymph glands. The filters help remove waste and toxins, while the pumps circulate lymph fluid throughout the body to help fight infections and boost the immune system.

4. Is an artificial Lymph gland safe?

As with any medical device, safety is a top priority when developing an artificial Lymph gland. Extensive testing and clinical trials would need to be conducted to ensure the device is safe and effective for use in humans. Additionally, strict regulations and guidelines would need to be followed in its production and use.

5. When can we expect to see an artificial Lymph gland available for use?

At this time, there is no specific timeline for when an artificial Lymph gland may become available for use. Development and testing of such a device would require significant time and resources. It is important to remember that scientific research and advancements can take time, and it is crucial to prioritize safety and efficacy in the development of any new medical technology.