Need a Supplemental Physics Book for My University Course?

In summary, the conversation suggests that the speaker is planning to take a university physics course that requires calculus 1 and 2. They have not taken a general physics course before and are looking for recommendations for a supplemental textbook. One suggestion is "Physics for Dummies," which provides a non-calc introduction to concepts covered in high school physics. Another suggestion is "Schaum's Outline for Physics for Scientists and Engineers," which is calc-based and includes practical examples. Both resources can be found on Amazon or in bookstores.
MathWarrior
I'm going to be taking a course on physics in the fall that requires the use of calculus1 & 2 called university physics 1. I have never taken a general physics course in high school or college yet. So I am thinking I should get a supplemental textbook for my course. Does anyone have any suggestions on good ones? I think the course mainly introduces mechanics and thermodynamics.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're looking for something to self-study over the summer and get a good overview: Physics for Dummies is actually pretty good. It's NOT Calculus based, but it will give you a non-calc intro to the concepts that an algebra-based high school Physics will cover and then some (they also make a workbook with problems, but again, not calc based). Getting the concepts down can definitely help so you can focus on the application for the class specifically. Depending on your calculus instructor, you may have a very good physics base already.

If you're looking for a Calc-based resource - look for Schaum's Outline for Physics for Scientists and Engineers (it will be a little more practical to start - but is calc based and works through examples, lots of examples).

You should be able to find both on Amazon, in a text-book carrying Barnes and Nobles or in your college bookstore (Dummies maybe not in college store).

1. What is a supplemental physics book?

A supplemental physics book is a book that provides additional information and resources to supplement a standard physics textbook. It may include more practice problems, explanations of difficult concepts, or real-world applications of physics principles.

2. How is a supplemental physics book different from a regular physics textbook?

A supplemental physics book is usually smaller and more focused than a regular textbook. It may also have a different format, such as being more interactive or visual, and may cover specific topics in more depth.

3. Who can benefit from using a supplemental physics book?

Anyone studying physics can benefit from using a supplemental physics book. It can be especially helpful for students struggling with certain concepts, or for those looking for extra practice and resources to deepen their understanding.

4. How can a supplemental physics book be used effectively?

To use a supplemental physics book effectively, it is important to first identify areas where you need additional help or practice. Then, use the book to supplement your regular textbook by working through extra problems, reading additional explanations, or using interactive features to solidify your understanding.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using a supplemental physics book?

While a supplemental physics book can be a helpful resource, it should not be relied on as a replacement for a regular textbook. It may also cover different topics or use different terminology, so it is important to use it in conjunction with a regular textbook and consult with your instructor if you have any questions.