Uniform circular motion, earth's rotation

In summary, we discussed the rotation of the Earth on its axis, which completes one rotation per day. We also determined the speed and centripetal acceleration of a person located at a latitude of 30.0 degrees north of the equator, assuming the Earth is a sphere with a radius of 6.38 x 106 m. The velocity and acceleration were found using the equations V = (2pi*r)/T and ac = v2/r, respectively. We also clarified that the radius at 30 degrees north of the equator is equal to rearthcos30, as it represents the distance to the axis of rotation.
bulbasaur88
The Earth rotates once per day about an axis passing through the north and south poles, an axis that is perpendicular to the plane of the equator. Assuming the Earth is a sphere with a radius of 6.38 x 106 m, determine the speed and centripetal acceleration of a person situated at a latitude of 30.0 degrees north of the equator.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Attempt
I understand that we are looking at a cross section of the Earth at latitude 30.0 degrees north of the equator. I also understand how to get to the answer:

Given
T = 1 day = 86, 400 seconds

1. Find velocity from V = (2pi*r)/T

2. Take the velocity from the previous equation and plug into to find ac:
ac = v2/r

I know that the radius at 30 degrees north of the equation is rearthcos30...My question is: WHY is the radius rearthcos30? I cannot see the geometry behind this conclusion! :(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The radius of import is the distance to the axis of rotation. For a latitude 30.0° N, how would you calculate that distance?

Wow - this was a very silly question to ask on my part. When I saw the answer, it literally slapped me in the face. I can't believe I didn't see that...Thank you gneill.

Related to Uniform circular motion, earth's rotation

1. What is uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path at a constant speed. This means that the object travels the same distance in the same amount of time, resulting in a constant velocity.

2. How does uniform circular motion relate to the Earth's rotation?

The Earth's rotation is an example of uniform circular motion, as it revolves around its axis at a constant speed. This rotation is what causes the day and night cycle on Earth.

3. What is the significance of the Earth's rotation?

The Earth's rotation is essential for life on our planet. It creates the day and night cycle, regulates the Earth's temperature, and helps distribute sunlight and nutrients for plants to grow.

4. How fast does the Earth rotate?

The Earth rotates at a speed of approximately 1,037 miles per hour at the equator. This speed decreases as you move towards the poles.

5. Does the Earth's rotation ever change?

Yes, the Earth's rotation is constantly changing, but the changes are very small. Factors such as the Moon's gravitational pull and earthquakes can cause tiny variations in the Earth's rotation speed.