Finding distance of point to y-axis.

• Thread starter V0ODO0CH1LD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point
In summary, the problem presents the scenario of two lines, r and s, with angular coefficients 2 and 1/2 respectively, intercepting at the origin in a cartesian coordinate system. The points B and C lie on these lines and form a triangle OBC in the first quadrant, with BC being perpendicular to r and the area of the triangle being 12x10-1. The question asks for the distance from point B to the y axis. Using the area formula for a triangle, the relationship between OC and BC is found to be 12/(5|OB|). However, this approach leads to a dead end and further information is needed to solve the problem. One possible approach is to rewrite everything in terms of coordinates
V0ODO0CH1LD

Homework Statement

In a cartesian coordinate system, two lines r and s, with angular coefficients 2 and 1/2, respectively, intercept at the origin. If B [itex]\in[/itex] r and C [itex]\in[/itex] s are two points in the first quadrant such that the line segment BC is perpendicular to r and the area of the triangle OBC is 12x10-1, then what is the distance from point B to the y axis?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, first I found the relationship between OC and BC using the formula for the area of a triangle:
[OBC] = 12x10-1 = 12/10 = 6/5 = (OB BC)/2

Now I am stuck. Whatever I do it seems like I am going around in circles..

Physics news on Phys.org
|OB| and |OC| don't have to be the same length.
But you do know that [OBC] forms a special kind of triangle, and you know one of the apex angles.

You also need a point Q=(0,y) and look at the triangle [OBQ].
You know one of these apex angles too.

Simon Bridge said:
|OB| and |OC| don't have to be the same length.

Yeah, I know. But the relationship between |BC| and |OB| is that |BC| = 12/(5|OB|); right?

Simon Bridge said:
But you do know that [OBC] forms a special kind of triangle, and you know one of the apex angles.

I did find all the angles of the triangle OBC, but they're not your usual angles and since this problem was taken from a test where calculators are not allowed, you kind of know you're going the wrong way..

I think I am actually missing some sort of theorem or property that would make this whole problem easier, but I have no idea which.

Reformulating - you want the x-coordinate of point B.

... so, rewrite everything in terms of coordinates:

##y_r=2x, y_s=\frac{1}{2}x## ... right?
So the position of the ponts B and C can be writen:
##\vec{B}=(x_b, y_b)=(1,2)x_b##
##\vec{C}=(x_c,y_c)=(2,1)x_c##

... and the area of the triangle [OBC] is:
##A=\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{x_b^2+y_b^2}\sqrt{(x_b-x_c)^2+(y_b-y_c)^2}##

... that's three equations and four unknowns: you need one more equation: the line through B perpendicular to r, or Pythagoras on the sides of [OBC]?

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for finding the distance of a point to the y-axis?

The formula for finding the distance of a point to the y-axis is the absolute value of the x-coordinate of the point. This can be represented as d = |x|.

2. How do you find the distance of a point to the y-axis if the point is on the y-axis itself?

If the point is on the y-axis, the distance to the y-axis is simply 0, since the x-coordinate is 0. Therefore, the distance is represented as d = |0| = 0.

3. Can the distance of a point to the y-axis be negative?

No, the distance of a point to the y-axis cannot be negative. Distance is always a positive value, and the absolute value function ensures that the result is positive.

4. Is there a difference between the distance of a point to the y-axis and the distance from the y-axis to the point?

No, the distance of a point to the y-axis and the distance from the y-axis to the point are the same thing. Distance is a two-way measurement, so the direction does not affect the result.

5. Can the distance of a point to the y-axis be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem?

No, the Pythagorean theorem is used to find the distance between two points in a coordinate plane, but it cannot be used to find the distance of a point to the y-axis. The formula for finding the distance of a point to the y-axis is simpler and does not involve using the Pythagorean theorem.