How High Does a Cannonball Go When Fired Straight Up at 28m/s?

In summary, the maximum height the cannonball will reach when fired straight up at a velocity of 28m/s and an angle of 90° is calculated using the equation mgh = 1/2mv^2, with the mass cancelling out. By setting the mass to any value and solving, the same answer is obtained.
mayhemlikeme

Homework Statement

a cannon is fired out of a cannon at a velocity of 28m/s and at an angle of 90°. Straight up. Assume it starts at a height of 0, figure out the max height it will reach. Air resistance is ignored.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not 100% on this but I think with conservation you can use the equation: mgh= 1/2mv^2
I just need help setting it up I'm usually pretty good working it out. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
mayhemlikeme said:

Homework Statement

a cannon is fired out of a cannon at a velocity of 28m/s and at an angle of 90°. Straight up. Assume it starts at a height of 0, figure out the max height it will reach. Air resistance is ignored.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not 100% on this but I think with conservation you can use the equation: mgh= 1/2mv^2
I just need help setting it up I'm usually pretty good working it out. Thanks in advance.

You've already set it up correctly. Cancel the m and solve for h.

Dick said:
You've already set it up correctly. Cancel the m and solve for h.

How do you set it up without knowing mass?

mayhemlikeme said:
How do you set it up without knowing mass?

Put the mass equal to 1kg. Solve it. Put the mass equal to 2kg. Solve it. You'll get the same answer. The mass doesn't matter. It cancels.

Hello! It seems like you are trying to calculate the maximum height reached by a cannonball when fired straight up with a velocity of 28m/s and ignoring air resistance. To solve this problem, we can use the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred from one form to another. In this case, we can consider the initial kinetic energy of the cannonball (1/2mv^2) to be converted into potential energy at the highest point of its trajectory (mgh).

To set up the equation, we can start by identifying the variables given in the problem:

- Velocity (v) = 28 m/s
- Angle (θ) = 90°
- Height (h) = 0
- Mass (m) = unknown

Next, we can use the equation you mentioned, mgh = 1/2mv^2, and plug in the given values:

- mgh = 1/2mv^2
- (m)(9.8)(0) = 1/2(m)(28)^2
- 0 = 1/2(m)(784)
- 0 = 392m

From this, we can see that the mass (m) cancels out and we are left with 0 = 0. This means that the mass of the cannonball does not affect the maximum height reached and therefore, the maximum height is solely determined by the initial velocity and angle.

To solve for the maximum height, we can rearrange the equation to solve for h:

- mgh = 1/2mv^2
- h = 1/2v^2/g
- h = 1/2(28)^2/9.8
- h = 392/9.8
- h = 40 meters

Therefore, the maximum height reached by the cannonball is 40 meters. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the law of conversation of energy?

The law of conversation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another.

2. How does the conversation of energy relate to everyday life?

The conversation of energy is applicable to everyday life as it explains how energy is constantly being transferred and transformed in various processes, such as cooking, driving, and even in our own bodies.

3. What are some examples of energy transformation?

Some examples of energy transformation include turning on a light bulb (electrical energy to light energy), burning wood (chemical energy to heat and light energy), and photosynthesis in plants (solar energy to chemical energy).

4. What happens if the conversation of energy is violated?

If the conversation of energy is violated, it would mean that energy is either being created or destroyed, which goes against the fundamental principle of the law. This would require further investigation and possibly lead to the discovery of new laws or theories.

5. How does the conversation of energy apply to the universe?

The conversation of energy applies to the universe as a whole, as it is a closed system where energy cannot enter or leave. This means that the total amount of energy in the universe remains constant, and any changes in energy are simply transformations from one form to another.