How high does the ball rise on the non-slip surface?

In summary, a solid ball with a radius of 9.7 cm is released from a height of 88.1 cm and begins to rise again on a frictionless surface. Using the law of conservation of energy and the moment of inertia of the ball, it can be determined that the ball will rise to a height of 62.9 cm on the other side.
annao

Homework Statement

A solid ball with radius of 9.7 cm is released from the height of hs=88.1 cm on a non-slip surface. After reaching its lowest point the ball begins to rise again, on a frictionless surface. How high does the ball rise on that side? Express your answer in cm.

Homework Equations

I=2/5mr^2
Law of conservation of energy: 1/2mv^2 +1/2Iω^2 +mgh=1/2mv^2 +1/2Iω^2 +mgh
ω=sqrt(2mgh/(mr^2+I))
h'=v^2/2g=(rω)^2/2g

The Attempt at a Solution

r=9.7cm =9.7*10^-2m
hs=88.1 cm =0.881m

moment of inertia of ball: I=2/5 mr^2

Law of conservation of energy: 1/2mv^2 +1/2Iω^2 +mgh=1/2mv^2 +1/2Iω^2 +mgh
1/2mr^2ω^2 +1/2Iω^2 =mgh

ω=sqrt(2mgh/(mr^2+I))
= sqrt (2mgh/ (mr^2 +2/5mr^2))
= sqrt (2mgh/ mr^2(1+2/5))
= sqrt (2gh/ r^2(1+2/5)

= sqrt(2*9.81m/s^2*0.881m) / (9.7*10^-2m)^2* (1+2/5))
=36.22444194rad/s

h' =v^2/2g
=(rω)^2/2g
=( 9.7*10^-2m*36.22444194rad/s)^2/(2*9.81m/s^2)
=0.6292857143m

Am I doing this problem correctly?

Attachments

• non_slip_fric.png
    non_slip_fric.png
    41.7 KB · Views: 473
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks okay.

I would probably have let ##\omega = \frac{v}{r}## and solved for ##v^2## at the bottom. Then the conservation of energy for the upslope journey would be pretty trivial.

annao said:
0.6292857143m
Too many digits, given the initial height is only specified to three digits.
Quickest way is probably to show (or remember) that for a rolling solid ball 5/7 of the KE is linear. So the new height must be 5/7 of the original height.

1. How does the non-slip surface affect the height of the ball's bounce?

The non-slip surface can greatly affect the height of the ball's bounce. Due to its high friction and grip, the surface can absorb some of the energy from the ball's impact, resulting in a lower bounce compared to a smooth surface.

2. Is there a specific height limit for the ball's bounce on a non-slip surface?

There is no specific height limit for the ball's bounce on a non-slip surface. The height can vary depending on factors such as the type of non-slip surface, the material and weight of the ball, and the force of the impact.

3. How does the height of the bounce change with different types of non-slip surfaces?

The height of the bounce can vary with different types of non-slip surfaces. Some surfaces may have a higher friction coefficient, resulting in a lower bounce, while others may have a lower coefficient, allowing for a higher bounce.

4. Can the height of the ball's bounce be increased on a non-slip surface?

Yes, the height of the ball's bounce can be increased on a non-slip surface. This can be achieved by using a ball with a higher elasticity or by increasing the force of the impact on the surface.

5. How does the height of the ball's bounce on a non-slip surface compare to a smooth surface?

The height of the ball's bounce on a non-slip surface is typically lower compared to a smooth surface. This is because the non-slip surface absorbs some of the energy from the impact, resulting in a lower rebound height.