Have You Noticed: "Affect" vs. "Effect

• Thread starter honestrosewater
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the increased use of the word "affect" instead of "effect" and the confusion between the two words. Some believe it is due to a lack of understanding or attention to grammar, while others attribute it to a change in reading habits. The conversation also mentions that "affect" can be used as both a verb and a noun, with the latter being pronounced with the accent on the first syllable. Ultimately, the use of the correct word depends on the context and understanding of the difference between the two.
honestrosewater
Gold Member
Why is everyone suddenly using "affect" instead of "effect"? I know it's language and blah blah it changes. But has anyone noticed this, or is it just me? I rarely ever used to see anyone use "affect", and now I see it all the time- when "effect" makes perfect sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
In what instances? Sometimes "affect" is the correct word, and sometimes "effect" is the correct word. Naturally, most of the English speakers in the world have no idea that they are not the same word, so it can be pretty irritating if it's one of your pet peeves.

--J

Yeah Justin is right.
You're probably just seeing people using it in a sense where it is the correct word to use instead of affect.
Although I'd probably bank on the fact that it might be someone who just doesn't know the difference between to the two words.

Justin Lazear said:
In what instances? Sometimes "affect" is the correct word, and sometimes "effect" is the correct word. Naturally, most of the English speakers in the world have no idea that they are not the same word, so it can be pretty irritating if it's one of your pet peeves.

--J
Well, I guess using "affect" as a noun when they mean "effect". For instance, google "affect on"- over a million hits. Bah, I never paid much attention to the difference, but now it's on my list. No one taught us this in school. Or I was absent that day. Anyway, I'm not really talking about improper use, just that people are using "affect" more than usual. I'm seeing "effect" less and "affect" more.

You people ought to read books and stop thinking about all sorts of **** during the English classes.

Else,don't go to school,especially since it's not free,nor compulsory.

Daniel.

Note dex's meticulous attention to grammar during this specific post :tongue2:

Soilwork said:
Yeah Justin is right.
You're probably just seeing people using it in a sense where it is the correct word to use instead of affect.
It does make sense that as I read more advanced writing, in a more formal setting, I would see "affect" more often, since I think a lot of people are more comfortable with "effect" and use it more often. I used "effect" more often myself, not really thinking about which was correct (until this morning).

I always pay attention to grammar.Spelling can be screwed up from time to time,but i may have the excuse of (English) not being my native language.:wink:

As for effect vs. affect,it's simply LAME.:yuck:

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
You people ought to read books and stop thinking about all sorts of **** during the English classes.

Else,don't go to school,especially since it's not free,nor compulsory.

Daniel.
Grammar school is compulsory. :tongue2: And it's something I noticed while I was reading books. And I'm checking to see if others have made the same observation. So :tongue2: Of course, I appreciate your words of wisdom as always. :biggrin:

Well, the next time you start examining the effects of your particle accelerator bunny exterminator on cute pink flying bunny rabbits and wish it could effect them more, don't come complaining to me when you drown in your own pool of rabbits.

--J

Justin Lazear said:
Well, the next time you start examining the effects of your particle accelerator bunny exterminator on cute pink flying bunny rabbits and wish it could effect them more, don't come complaining to me when you drown in your own pool of rabbits.

--J

*wondering* Should I tell'im ? :rolleyes:

Affect (v. t.) To act upon; to produce an effect or change upon.

Daniel.

P.S.honestlyrosewater,I appreciate your kind words and your irony... :tongue2:

Don't worry, dex, it was intentional.

tr.v. ef·fect·ed, ef·fect·ing, ef·fects

1. To bring into existence.

--J

dextercioby said:
*wondering* Should I tell'im ?
Did you get it yet, dexter, or should we tell you?

honestrosewater said:
Why is everyone suddenly using "affect" instead of "effect"? I know it's language and blah blah it changes. But has anyone noticed this, or is it just me? I rarely ever used to see anyone use "affect", and now I see it all the time- when "effect" makes perfect sense.
I'm not exactly sure what you're saying.

I've noticed that people misuse both word here all the time, thinking, I suppose, that they're interchangable, which they aren't. The confusion probably results from the obvious fact that the pronounciation is the same.

Did you know that "affect" is also a noun, with the accent on the first syllable?

"Conan the Barbarian effected his entrance into the Temple of Doom by lopping off the high priest's head. This action affected the high priest's health in a grievous manner"

zoobyshoe said:
I'm not exactly sure what you're saying.

I've noticed that people misuse both word here all the time, thinking, I suppose, that they're interchangable, which they aren't. The confusion probably results from the obvious fact that the pronounciation is the same.

Did you know that "affect" is also a noun, with the accent on the first syllable?
Yes, but that was the only part of the definition I remembered reading, and I knew what "effect" meant, so I would just use "effect". It never bothered me and doesn't really bother me now. I had just noticed "affect" being used more than I had seen it used a couple years ago. This is probably just because I am reading more formal works where the mistake is less likely. So it was probably just because of a change in my reading habits, not a change in other people's writing habits.

Anyway, don't keep me hanging. What happens to the bunnies?

Oh, I didn't know the pronunciation. I never really use "affect" as a noun.

Last edited:
Some probably don't know that they are making the mistake (due to English as alternate [not necessarily 2nd] language)
Others because they just don't know the difference (English first language)

And probably more, out of laziness for not spellchecking their post because the figure the affect that their misuse of the words will not effect the posting community.

honestrosewater said:
Yes, but that was the only part of the definition I remembered reading, and I knew what "effect" meant, so I would just use "effect". It never bothered me and doesn't really bother me now. I had just noticed "affect" being used more than I had seen it used a couple years ago. This is probably just because I am reading more formal works where the mistake is less likely. So it was probably just because of a change in my reading habits, not a change in other people's writing habits.

Oh, I didn't know the pronunciation. I never really use "affect" as a noun.
I am still not sure what you're pointing at. Could you go and get all the definitions of affect and effect in all their parts of speech and post them here for us, then point out the ones you see being mistaken for each other?

From this example, it should be quite clear that the verbs have distinct usages:
arildno said:
"Conan the Barbarian effected his entrance into the Temple of Doom by lopping off the high priest's head. This action affected the high priest's health in a grievous manner"

bross7 said:
And probably more, out of laziness for not spellchecking their post because the figure the affect that their misuse of the words will not effect the posting community.
Whoopsey! You need to check what "affect" means when used as a noun.

Edit: And what "effect" means when used as a verb.

arildno said:
Yes, you have used them both to good effect.

It was rather affected, though; strangely enough, however, it was the first sentence to pop into my head (does that make me psychotic??)

:biggrin: lol, I am sure I am among those who are guilty of this grievous miscarriage of wordage.

arildno said:
It was rather affected, though; strangely enough, however, it was the first sentence to pop into my head (does that make me psychotic??)

No, although it does suggest you might have a rather temperamental affect.

Affection or affliction, what's the difference, really?
I guess I have one of those, at least.

It doesn't make sense to just decide you're seeing one more than the other to determine if it's in some way wrong. Both are words, both have different meanings, and both are frequently misspelled as the other.

In a crude way of putting it, effect refers to the output side of things (think "cause and effect"); The effect of blasting the stereo was that people's hearing was damaged.

Affect refers to the receiving side of things. Those people's hearing was affected by the blasting stereo.

Affect can also refer to the way someone expresses an emotion: Sufferers of severe depression often display a flat affect.

And effect can refer to causing something to come into existence or to happen:
Blasting the car stereo effected hearing loss in an otherwise healthy group of people.

Note, in the above sentence, the direction is clear, hearing loss was caused by the blasting stereo. If I instead wrote, "Blasting the car stereo affected hearing loss in an otherwise healthy group of people," then direction is not clear. This could equally suggest the effect of the stereo was an improvement in hearing loss rather than a cause of hearing loss or a worsening of hearing loss. All it indicates is there was a change, but not the direction of that change. This is an incredibly important distinction in scientific writing, so since you're hanging around scientists here, you're around a group of writers who need to be more in tune with the two different meanings than the general public who is sloppy with their usage.

arildno said:
Affection or affliction, what's the difference, really?
I guess I have one of those, at least.
Did you mean affection or affectation? Affection is caring for someone...I show affection for my friends by hugging them when I greet them. An affectation is a mannerism that's somewhat fake, such as someone who uses a snooty accent when talking to those he feels are beneath him in rank; to effect and affect if you will. :biggrin:

An affliction is something bad you have, like a disease. I think affliction fits best with that sentence that was the first to come to mind for you above. :rofl:

Yes, that's it: I'm afflicted by affectation; my wrist has gone all limp typing this..:cry:

To supplement Moonbear's post-- the difference between 'effect' and 'affect' when used in discourse about causal relationships is suggested by their etymology. 'Effect' = ex + facere, loosely, 'to come out from,' vs. 'affect' = ad + facere, loosely, 'to make towards.' So an effect is an outcome of a causal process, and to affect is to cause or change or influence.

arildno said:
Yes, that's it: I'm afflicted by affectation; my wrist has gone all limp typing this..:cry:
:rofl: That's a rather nasty affliction of an affectation with which you have been affected; perhaps you should examine what effected it. :rofl:

Okay, third time's the charm. I am not confused about the correct usage. I looked it up this morning. Recently, I have seen "affect" used more often than I saw it used a few years ago. That's pretty much all I'm saying. :yuck: I'm not saying I always see it used correctly. I'm just saying I see it used more often than I had in the past.

Got that part? Now, I have also seen "effect" and its inflections used less often than I had in the past. Initially, I thought this was because people were starting to use "affect" instead of "effect". That is, a lot of people had changed their usage habits. But now I think it is just that I am reading stuff where "affect" is more often being used correctly. That is, my reading habits have changed. Before, I was seeing "effect" used incorrectly (as a verb), where "affect" was actually the correct verb. Now, I am seeing "affect" used as the correct verb. So people are probably still using the same words in the same cases; I am just reading the peolpe who use "affect" more often.

I would assume "effect" to crop up more regularly than "affect" in technical literature; probably the other way around in novels.

arildno said:
What it makes you is: a master of all the forms of "affect" and "effect"!

I'll petition the administration to make you up a banner to that effect.

Edit: Oh, I see you mitigated the good effect of your post by later mistaking affection for affectation. We'll have to give you a smaller banner than previously planned.

Last edited:
honestrosewater said:
Got that part?...

...I am just reading the peolpe who use "affect" more often.
In this case, then no to your original question. I haven't happened to notice this.