What were the consequences of Israel's attack on the Gaza Aid Flotilla?

• News
  • Thread starter TubbaBlubba
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ship
In summary, a group of peace advocates organized a convoy to ship supplies to Gaza, but Israel's military attacked the vessels on international waters, resulting in injuries and deaths. The details of the incident are still unclear, but it has sparked controversy and criticism towards Israel's actions. The organizers of the convoy had hoped for a reaction from Israel, and the IDF claims that the activists on board instigated the violence. This event was not unexpected, as Israel had announced earlier that they would prevent the ships from reaching Gaza.
TubbaBlubba said:
We're talking about the action of states here, however, not individuals. I can't say I know what it is like to have a friend killed, but I do think that having experienced that would give me a biased view against whoever killed him, regardless of their intentions or reasons to.

Yeah, and one nation state wants to take out another nation state, basically by killing and invading the nation state constantly.

So the other nation state defends itself... simple.

Physics news on Phys.org
zomgwtf said:
Yeah, and one nation state wants to take out another nation state, basically by killing and invading the nation state constantly.

Israel won the war against... Well, most of the Middle East (due to superior weaponry because of their support from the west). They're now conducting terrorism against the people in Gaza. I have no idea what they even want to ACHIEVE with that.

I know Egypt closed the border too, but they don't seem to speak much of the matter.

zomgwtf said:

You forgot to mention the part that one state is constantly building illegal settlements and destroying homes of the other. Don't spin this as a simple matter of a nation defending itself from aggression.

TubbaBlubba said:
Israel won the war against... Well, most of the Middle East (due to superior weaponry because of their support from the west). They're now conducting terrorism against the people in Gaza. I have no idea what they even want to ACHIEVE with that.

I know Egypt closed the border too, but they don't seem to speak much of the matter.

The independence war wasn't won by "superior weaponry", but by the sense of rightfulness for self existence.

estro said:
The independence war wasn't won by "superior weaponry", but by the sense of rightfulness for self existence.

Uh-huh, uh-huh. Certainly not because Israel is one of the most powerful (the most powerful, even?) military superpower in the world and has the arguably best intelligence network in the world.

TubbaBlubba said:
Uh-huh, uh-huh. Certainly not because Israel is one of the most powerful (the most powerful, even?) military superpower in the world and has the arguably best intelligence network in the world.

Are you sure you know what you are talking about?! The independence war took place when Israel was ONE DAY old. Back then IDF was improvisation.
But thank you for complimenting my nation=)

Last edited:
No it's not that its just that you are young and opinonated and it makes us older folks uneasy.

estro said:
Are you sure you know what you are talking about?! The independence war took place when Israel was ONE DAY old. Back then IDF was improvisation.
But thank you for complimenting my nation=)

And they sure didn't receive any support from the US or the UN.

I like Israel in many ways, it's an amazing nation as far as science goes, and I'm sure it has a lot of interesting cultural aspects.

I however, condemn many of the military actions of it, and as I have said before, I will stand by my notion that the treatment of the Gaza strip is nothing less than state terrorism.

(Why are people fighting over it, anyway? Isn't it mostly... rocky desert?)

TubbaBlubba said:

Some made that desert bloom, others are culturally trained to make it...BOOM!

I just wish that a god of either side would appear and say "Hey, let's go find some nicer place, this place is boring."

TubbaBlubba said:
And they sure didn't receive any support from the US or the UN.

I like Israel in many ways, it's an amazing nation as far as science goes, and I'm sure it has a lot of interesting cultural aspects.

I however, condemn many of the military actions of it, and as I have said before, I will stand by my notion that the treatment of the Gaza strip is nothing less than state terrorism.

Israel don't fight over the Gaza strip, we don't have any soldiers there by now more then 4 years I think...

TubbaBlubba said:
I just wish that a god of either side would appear and say "Hey, let's go find some nicer place, this place is boring."
I just wish people like you stopped day-dreaming, and started basing your endless assertion upon FACTS and not fancy

TubbaBlubba said:

Some say honey and milk flowing all over the rocks...=)

estro said:
Israel don't fight over the Gaza strip, we don't have any soldiers there by now more then 4 years I think...

Uh... ?

On January 3, 2009, the Israeli ground invasion began.[70][71] Human rights groups and aid organisations have accused Hamas and Israel of war crimes.[72][73][74] An estimated 1,166-1,417 Palestinians and 13 Israelis died in the conflict.[75][76][77] The conflict came to an end on 18 January after first Israel and then Hamas announced unilateral ceasefires.[78][79] On 21 January, Israel completed its withdrawal from the Gaza Strip.[80] On March 2, it was reported that international donors had pledged $4.5 billion in aid for the Palestinians, mainly for rebuilding Gaza after Israel's offensive.[81]

arildno: I know, I'm considering euthanasia. People like me really ruin this world.

Getting back to the topic: a 19 year old American citizen was killed in the debacle. Reportedly, they were shot 4 times in the head, and once in the chest, at close range. This definitely smells like foul play on the part of IDF. Source:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2010/06/03/2010-06-03_american_citizen_among_dead_in_botched_israeli_raid_of_gazabound_flotilla.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
I will double check these facts later. It would appear that plenty of supplies are coming via Israel already.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Israel+actions+self+defence/3109496/story.html

Figures in that range are commonly cited in the press. That amount demonstrates a regular and ongoing flow, but I don't know that 15,000 tons per week into Gaza qualifies as plenty. By way of comparison, during the Berlin blockade, Berlin contained 2.8 million people (vs Gaza's 1.5 million today) but the airlift transported 13,000 tons per day to meet the needs of the populace.

mheslep said:
Figures in that range are commonly cited in the press. That amount demonstrates a regular and ongoing flow, but I don't know that 15,000 tons per week into Gaza qualifies as plenty. By way of comparison, during the Berlin blockade, Berlin contained 2.8 million people (vs Gaza's 1.5 million today) but the airlift transported 13,000 tons per day to meet the needs of the populace.

According to the UN, Gaza would need a minimum of four times that amount, I believe.

I'm also curious about the quality of the supplies.

TubbaBlubba said:
Uh... ?

On January 3, 2009, the Israeli ground invasion began.[70][71] Human rights groups and aid organisations have accused Hamas and Israel of war crimes.[72][73][74] An estimated 1,166-1,417 Palestinians and 13 Israelis died in the conflict.[75][76][77] The conflict came to an end on 18 January after first Israel and then Hamas announced unilateral ceasefires.[78][79] On 21 January, Israel completed its withdrawal from the Gaza Strip.[80] On March 2, it was reported that international donors had pledged $4.5 billion in aid for the Palestinians, mainly for rebuilding Gaza after Israel's offensive.[81]

arildno: I know, I'm considering euthanasia. People like me really ruin this world.

I meant IDF soldiers are not "occupying" Gaza Strip on permanent basis.
Operation Defensive Shield was meant to stop rocket launching from Gaza on Israeli civilians.

estro said:
I meant IDF soldiers are not "occupying" Gaza Strip on permanent basis.
Operation Defensive Shield was meant to stop rocket launching from Gaza on Israeli civilians.

Ah, I see.

Honestly, it irks me somewhat to see the casualty numbers...

Looking for a source on the UN statement regarding supplies, by the way. I know I've read it on a newspage at least.

TubbaBlubba said:

I can't remember where I posted something regarding the borders in the middle east, so I'll have to regurgitate this from my somewhat poor memory.

I often hear that people are P.O.'d about former British colonialism, and how the borders they drew cause many of the problems in the region. My question was; "Why don't they do away with, or change the borders?"

The British have been gone for decades. The borders don't make any sense to me. They probably don't make sense to anyone really, except for maybe a handful of lazy mapmakers.

Ah ha! It might have been related to the map of the region from 1917 that hangs on my wall.

1917meperamerica.jpg

I think I also mentioned something regarding the geographic differences of the Gaza-Israel-Egypt border area as seen from google earth:

gaza_egypt_israel_border.jpg

Israel: looks like farm land
Gaza: looks like one big metropolitan area
Egypt: looks like empty desert

:rolleyes:

Werg22 said:
Getting back to the topic: a 19 year old American citizen was killed in the debacle. Reportedly, they were shot 4 times in the head, and once in the chest, at close range. This definitely smells like foul play on the part of IDF. Source:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2010/06/03/2010-06-03_american_citizen_among_dead_in_botched_israeli_raid_of_gazabound_flotilla.html"

When you repel blood thirsty mob many unpleasing things can happen.
Peace loving 19 years old girls SHOULDN'T be cruising on over intensive love cruises...

estro said:
When you repel blood thirsty mob many unpleasing things can happen.

I don't think this is the place to spread propaganda like that.

There!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/middle_east/10200351.stm

"Israel says it allows about 15,000 tonnes of humanitarian aid into Gaza every week, but the UN says this is less than a quarter of what is needed. "

I believe the UN also deemed that some 70-80% (the poorer lot) of the Gaza population was "food insecure", let's see if I can dig that up.

zomgwtf said:
I don't think this is the place to spread propaganda like that.

I didn't mean any propaganda.
But from my personal experience in military operations all happens very fast and under massive pressure add to this fear and you'll get recipe for mistakes...

But we should remember the boy from Ramallah who's death was put on IDF hands.
INTERNATIONAL investigation later revealed the boy died by Palestinian bullet...

I respect Israel's security concerns, but I view some of their reactions have been a bit extreme: demoralization, shock and awe bombing campaigns etc.

But how can anyone honestly say that there is no humanitarian crisis in Gaza. Just google gaza on Google images. The argument that they deserve it because of the religion or culture they belong to is a separate issue.

TubbaBlubba said:
Uh... ?
He surely is not referring to the events of last January, but instead the fact that Israel peacefully left Gaza of its own accord several years ago, forcing Jewish settlers to leave in some cases. If it were not for the daily rocket attacks on Israel stemming from Gaza, the January (re)invasion would have never happened.

http://unispal.un.org/UNISPAL.NSF/0/9A265F2A909E9A1D8525772E004FC34B

"People are scraping by on basics and rely on humanitarian aid to fill the gaps. An average household spends 56 cents of every US dollar on food. The average food insecure household has between 6 to 9 people relying on one breadwinner.8""Food Security in the Gaza Strip
Food security exists when all people, at all times, have physical, social and economic access to sufficient, safe and nutritious food which meets their dietary needs and food preferences for an active and healthy life. Food insecurity exists when people do not have adequate physical, social or economic access to food as defined above33 61% of people in the Gaza Strip are considered to be food insecure and are reliant on food assistance from humanitarian agencies for their health and well being. An additional 16.2% are considered vulnerable to food insecurity. Of those food insecure, 65% are children under 18 years.34 For these children, long-term food insecurity is linked to rising levels of acute malnutrition and stunted growth. In addition, health conditions such as watery diarrhea and iron deficiency anemia result from the ongoing lack of access to clean water and balanced diet. In February 2009, the level of anemia in babies (9-12 months) was as high as 65.5%.35"

mheslep: Fair enough.
So... If I'm not skewing the statistics, 61% relies on food supplies which are deemed enough for 15%?

mheslep said:

But we had to airlift all of Berlin's food to them. It's been discussed earlier in this thread about how Gaza has an abundance of food already

Office_Shredder said:
It's been discussed earlier in this thread about how Gaza has an abundance of food already

Well, the UN disagrees as seen above.

TubbaBlubba said:
According to the UN, Gaza would need a minimum of four times that amount, I believe.
I can find no such reference from the UN. Do you have some idea of what UN organization made the claim?

mheslep said:
I can find no such reference from the UN. Do you have some idea of what UN organization made the claim?

I don't know who specifically made the claim, as I posted above I got the claim from BBC:

TubbaBlubba said:
There!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/middle_east/10200351.stm

"Israel says it allows about 15,000 tonnes of humanitarian aid into Gaza every week, but the UN says this is less than a quarter of what is needed."

Office_Shredder said:
But we had to airlift all of Berlin's food to them. It's been discussed earlier in this thread about how Gaza has an abundance of food already
I been following the thread and just researched for food. I can find nothing definative saying Gaza has an 'abundance of food'. The closest to thing to that claim I can find is second hand, here (food is 'on the shelves', but no affordable).
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2745775&postcount=275

TubbaBlubba said:
I don't know who specifically made the claim, as I posted above I got the claim from BBC:
Yes I recall the BBC bit at the bottom, but I can't find any backup for it.

mheslep said:
The closest to thing to that claim I can find is second hand, here (food is 'on the shelves', but no affordable).
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2745775&postcount=275

Similar to what I've heard, that only the rich have the luxury of available food.

Until I see the children of Gaza:

gaza_kids.jpg

looking like the children of Darfur:

children_of_Darfur.jpg

I'm afraid I'm going to have to go with the assumption that they are being fed adequately.