Laser Beam - Divergence and Solid Angle

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between divergence and solid angle for a beam, specifically in the context of laser physics. The equation for calculating solid angle using the two polar angle coordinates is mentioned, but there is confusion on how to relate solid angle and beam divergence. The concept of projecting a circle onto the surface of a sphere is brought up, and the idea of using a cone of revolution with the divergence angle as the angle to calculate the solid angle is discussed. A helpful resource with a clear explanation of solid angle is also provided.
Naz93
I am somewhat confused about the connection between divergence and solid angle for a beam. I know individually what each term means... but I'm confused as to how (or even if) one can calculate the solid angle of a beam, given the divergence.

I have some notes from a previous lecture series I attended on laser physics, where I wrote down: "Laser radiation has a narrow divergence (~1mrad), and so a small solid angle (~10^-6∏ sterad)". That seems to imply that the divergence is sufficient information to calculate the solid angle of the beam... but I just can't seem to do it.

(I'm not concerned just with the numbers given here, but rather the general problem of how to relate solid angle and beam divergence)

Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
Are you looking for an equation? Or do you need help understanding an existing equation?

I don't know of an equation to calculate solid angle from beam divergence... I only know solid angle by the definition dΩ=sinθ*dθ*dø

I feel like I'm missing something obvious here...

Hmm, that kind of explains it. All I'm really after is a way to calculate a number for the solid angle of a beam, given a number for the divergence of the beam... I'm still not sure how to do this

the equation above looks correct. Are you looking for theta or phi? Or are you trying to figure out how to solve the eq above?

Well... I don't know what theta or phi even are in relation to the beam divergence. The equation is a correct expression for a solid angle in terms of the two polar angle coordinates, but I don't see how it helps in finding the solid angle given a beam divergence...

Divergence angle is used because it is relatively easy to measure given that the beam has a circular profile. The formulas given in the article are for the ideal Gaussian beam, which is often, but not always what is output from a laser.

For the simplest application just determine the diameter of the circle which contains 90% of the beam power (or your favorite proxy for beam width) at two points sufficiently far apart. Then apply the formula pointed out by rigetFrog.

Likes 1 person
Thanks both. The formula would then give the divergence, calculated from the two beam diameters and the distance between them... but then I'm still confused how to get the solid angle of the beam from the divergence. I think I'm just confused what a solid angle even is...

Naz93 said:
Thanks both. The formula would then give the divergence, calculated from the two beam diameters and the distance between them... but then I'm still confused how to get the solid angle of the beam from the divergence. I think I'm just confused what a solid angle even is...

The cone of revolution about the central ray of the beam, whose angle is the divergence angle, will intersect the surface of every sphere whose center is the apex of the cone.

The solid angle is the ratio of the surface area enclosed by the cone to the total surface area of the sphere. Pick the distance R=1 as being the most convenient surface.

Solid angle: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_angle

But how to project a circle onto the curved surface of a sphere? Is the way to actually calculate a solid angle to use the equation on wikepedia (integral of sin(theta)d(theta)d(phi) ) with the limits of theta and phi both set to the divergence angle?

Amazing, thanks! That's a really nice explanation :-)

1. What is the difference between laser beam divergence and solid angle?

Laser beam divergence refers to the spreading out of a laser beam as it travels through space, while solid angle measures the total amount of space that a laser beam covers. In other words, laser beam divergence is a measure of the spread of the beam, while solid angle is a measure of the coverage area.

2. How is laser beam divergence measured?

Laser beam divergence is typically measured in milliradians (mrad) or radians (rad). It can be measured using specialized instruments, such as a beam profiler or a goniometer, which measure the angle at which the beam diverges.

3. What factors affect laser beam divergence?

The main factors that affect laser beam divergence are the size of the laser beam aperture, the quality of the laser beam optics, and the wavelength of the laser. Other factors such as atmospheric conditions and temperature can also have an impact on divergence.

4. How can laser beam divergence be reduced?

Laser beam divergence can be reduced by using high quality optics, such as lenses or mirrors, to shape and control the beam. The size of the laser beam aperture can also be adjusted to reduce divergence. Additionally, using a longer focal length or lower power laser can also help reduce divergence.

5. How does solid angle affect laser beam intensity?

The solid angle of a laser beam is directly proportional to the beam's intensity. This means that the larger the solid angle, the more spread out the beam is, resulting in a lower intensity. Conversely, a smaller solid angle indicates a more concentrated beam with a higher intensity.