Can I Create a Visible Light Pattern Using a Combination of Laser Beam and LED?

In summary, the speaker is looking to create a visible light pattern from 1-5 feet away, similar to a sniper sight, using an LED and laser beam combined in a narrow tube. They are also open to suggestions for producing the pattern with just a laser. The project is meant to be a fun hack for a toy. They have received helpful responses in the past on a different topic, but are now questioning whether their question is appropriate for this forum.
DannySmythe
I want to create a visible pattern of light from 1-5 feet away. The pattern would have a bright dot in the middle (ala sniper sight) visible in bright light at 5 feet. The cheap toy pointers seem to work just fine. It would also have a filled circular pattern around the dot, 8" in diameter at 4' and visible at about 3' in bright light. I have an LED that does this fairly well with the right diversion (dispersion?) angle. Red seems to be the best color.

So I have 2 questions
1. How do I combine the laser beam with the LED? All of the optics needs to be packaged in a narrow tube about 1/2' in diameter. I know that a prism of some kind might work but I don't want to spend a lot of time machining down a large prism. What about a mirror with a 2-way coating?

2. Even better, is there a way to produce this pattern with just the laser. Maybe a lens with a hole?

This is just a hack for a toy laser 'shotgun' just for fun.
So all ideas and criticisms cheerfully accepted.

Science news on Phys.org
I think you'll get better answers on a hobbyist forum than on a physícs forum.

That's kind of offensive anorlunda.

So just because this is a fun hack for a toy, it's beneath the mean of this forum?
Do others feel this way?

Why would I go to a hobbyist forum for answers about optics?

I've had some great responses here about water flow for my rainbarrels and water conservation projects. I guess I should have gone to a plumbers forum to ask about fluid dynamics.

I guess I should have said "So most ideas and criticisms cheerfully accepted."

1. What is the purpose of combining a laser beam with an LED?

The purpose of combining a laser beam with an LED is to create a more powerful and efficient light source. While lasers produce a concentrated beam of light, LEDs emit a broader spectrum of light. Combining the two allows for a more focused and intense beam of light.

2. How does combining a laser beam with an LED affect the overall brightness of the light?

Combining a laser beam with an LED can significantly increase the overall brightness of the light. This is because the laser beam adds a concentrated and intense component to the LED's broader spectrum of light, resulting in a more powerful and brighter light source.

3. Is there a difference between using a laser beam and an LED separately versus combining them?

Yes, there is a difference between using a laser beam and an LED separately versus combining them. When used separately, the laser beam and LED emit different types of light. However, when combined, they create a more powerful and efficient light source with a more focused and intense beam of light.

4. Can combining a laser beam with an LED be used in any application?

Combining a laser beam with an LED can be used in various applications, such as in scientific research, medical procedures, and industrial processes. It is also commonly used in light shows and entertainment events.

5. Are there any safety concerns when combining a laser beam with an LED?

Yes, there are potential safety concerns when combining a laser beam with an LED. Lasers produce highly concentrated and intense light, which can be harmful to the eyes and skin. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and use protective gear when working with combined laser and LED lights.