No Active Mixers? Troubleshoot Volume Control Issues in XP

• Thread starter Gale
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker has recently experienced viruses due to downloading a file and now their volume control and sound are not working. They are unable to find the "mixer devices" folder in their control panel and are unsure of what to do. They are advised to check if they are in classic or new view in the control panel, and if the mixer is not found, to reinstall sound drivers from the manufacturer's website.
Gale
So I've had a few viruses lately, (my own fault... i wanted to download a claymation christmas and downloaded viruses instead...) and now today, i have no volume control... no sound of any kind. when i click it, it says "there are no active mixer devices available. to install mixer devices go to control panel, click printers and other devices, and then click add hardware."

first of all, i don't even have a folder called that... I'm on XP and i just have "printers" and "add devices" separate folders in my CP. but at any rate, i can't listen to any music or anything either. so... what do i do eh?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Gale said:
So I've had a few viruses lately, (my own fault... i wanted to download a claymation christmas and downloaded viruses instead...) and now today, i have no volume control... no sound of any kind. when i click it, it says "there are no active mixer devices available. to install mixer devices go to control panel, click printers and other devices, and then click add hardware."
first of all, i don't even have a folder called that... I'm on XP and i just have "printers" and "add devices" separate folders in my CP. but at any rate, i can't listen to any music or anything either. so... what do i do eh?

Are you in classic view or that stupid new XP one in the control panel?

try reinstalling your sound drivers, if you can't find the mixer anywhere

1. Why is there no sound coming from my computer?

There could be several reasons why you are not hearing any sound from your computer. One common reason is that the volume on your computer is turned down or muted. You can check the volume control in the bottom right corner of your screen or in the control panel to adjust the volume. Another possible reason is that your speakers or headphones are not properly connected to your computer. Make sure they are plugged in correctly and turned on. Lastly, there may be an issue with your sound drivers or audio settings. You can troubleshoot these by going to the device manager and updating your drivers or checking your audio settings.

2. Why is my volume control not working?

If your volume control is not working, it could be due to a few different reasons. First, check if the volume control is muted or turned down. If it is not, then there may be an issue with the volume control itself. You can try restarting your computer or checking for updates to your sound drivers. If the issue persists, there may be a hardware problem with your volume control, and you may need to get it repaired or replaced.

3. How do I troubleshoot volume control issues on Windows XP?

To troubleshoot volume control issues on Windows XP, you can start by checking the volume control in the bottom right corner of your screen. If it is not muted or turned down, then you can try restarting your computer or checking for updates to your sound drivers. You can also check the audio settings in the control panel to make sure they are configured correctly. If the issue persists, there may be a hardware problem with your volume control, and you may need to get it repaired or replaced.

4. Why is my computer showing "No Active Mixers"?

If your computer is showing "No Active Mixers," it means that it is unable to detect any audio devices or sound drivers. This could be due to a few different reasons, such as outdated or corrupted sound drivers, disabled audio settings, or a hardware issue with your audio device. You can try updating your sound drivers, checking your audio settings, or troubleshooting any hardware problems to resolve this issue.

5. How do I fix the "No Active Mixers" error on my computer?

To fix the "No Active Mixers" error on your computer, you can start by updating your sound drivers. You can also check your audio settings in the control panel to make sure they are configured correctly. If the issue persists, there may be a hardware issue with your audio device, and you may need to get it repaired or replaced. You can also try restarting your computer or performing a system restore to a previous point in time when the audio was working properly. If none of these solutions work, it may be best to seek the help of a professional technician.