Math undergrad research experience

In summary, for undergrads studying pure or applied math, there are NSF funded REU summer research programs available. These programs can be found on the NSF website. While undergraduate research may not be a requirement for graduate programs in math, it is still beneficial to gain research experience and can be obtained through talking with a math advisor and participating in REU programs.
JohnDuck
So for undergrads in the natural sciences, there exists a multitude of programs and internships and whatnot for research experience--but are there equivalent programs specifically for undergrads studying pure or applied math? What are they like and where can I find out about them? How important is such experience when applying for a grad program for math, and how might research experience in other disciplines be considered?

Physics news on Phys.org
JohnDuck said:
So for undergrads in the natural sciences, there exists a multitude of programs and internships and whatnot for research experience--but are there equivalent programs specifically for undergrads studying pure or applied math? What are they like and where can I find out about them? How important is such experience when applying for a grad program for math, and how might research experience in other disciplines be considered?

If your studying math I don't think lack of undergraduate research is going to hurt your application too much. I never did undergrad research and got into several graduate programs. I'd just focus on learning as much as possible if you plan to study math at the graduate level.

As for how to get involved in undergrad research, I think talking with your math advisor is a good first step.

Last edited:
There are NSF funded REU summer research programs in math for undergraduates, as there are for the other natural sciences. You can find a full listing of programs on this page.

qualgorithm said:
There are NSF funded REU summer research programs in math for undergraduates, as there are for the other natural sciences. You can find a full listing of programs on this page.
Thanks, that's precisely what I was looking for.

1. What is "math undergrad research experience"?

Math undergrad research experience refers to the opportunity for undergraduate students to engage in mathematical research projects, typically under the guidance and mentorship of a faculty member or graduate student. It allows students to gain hands-on experience in conducting research, analyzing data, and presenting findings, which can be helpful for pursuing graduate studies or a career in mathematics or related fields.

2. How can I get involved in math undergrad research experience?

There are a few ways to get involved in math undergrad research experience. One way is to inquire with your math department or faculty members about ongoing research projects and express your interest in participating. Another way is to apply for research programs or internships specifically geared towards undergraduate students. You can also reach out to graduate students or fellow classmates who may be working on research projects and ask if you can assist or collaborate with them.

3. What kind of projects can I expect to work on during math undergrad research experience?

The type of projects you will work on during math undergrad research experience can vary, depending on the research interests of the faculty member or graduate student you are working with. Projects can range from pure math topics, such as number theory or abstract algebra, to applied math topics, such as data analysis or mathematical modeling. You may also have the opportunity to work on interdisciplinary projects with other fields, such as physics or computer science.

4. Do I need to have a strong math background to participate in math undergrad research experience?

While having a strong math background can be helpful, it is not always necessary to participate in math undergrad research experience. Many research projects are designed to provide students with an opportunity to learn and develop their skills, so you may not need to have extensive knowledge in a particular area of math. However, it is important to have a solid foundation in basic math concepts and be willing to put in the time and effort to learn and understand new concepts related to the research project.

5. Can math undergrad research experience lead to publication or presentation opportunities?

Yes, math undergrad research experience can lead to publication or presentation opportunities. If your research project yields significant results, your mentor may encourage you to present your findings at a conference or submit a paper for publication. This can be a valuable experience and can help you gain recognition in the math community. However, it is not a guarantee, and the main goal of math undergrad research experience should be to learn and gain research skills.