Answer: Calculate Average Power Output for 600 kg Top Fuel Drag Racer

In summary, a top fuel drag racer with a mass of 600.0 kg completes a quarter-mile drag race in 4.4 seconds with a final speed of 115 m/s. Neglecting friction and air resistance, the engine's average power output is 1432.747 kW. This can be calculated by finding the work done, which is equal to the change in kinetic energy, using the formula W = (m*v^2)/2 and then dividing by the change in time. This is equivalent to finding the force applied, which is equal to the mass multiplied by the acceleration, and then using the formula P = F*d/t to find the power.
lpcampbe
A top fuel drag racer with a mass of 600.0 kg completes a quarter-mile (402 m) drag race in a time of 4.4 s starting from rest. The car's final speed is 115 m/s. What is the engine's average power output? Neglect friction and air resistance.

I know:
Power = Work/ change in time
W = Force * change in distance
F = mass * acceleration
Vf = Vi + at

so i solve for a
115 m/s = 0 m/s + a(4.4 s)
a = 26.1364 m/s^2

then i solve for F
F = 600 kg * 26.1364 m/s^2
F = 15681.8182 N

then i solve for W
W =15681.8182 N * 402 m
W = 6304090.909 J

then i solve for P
P = 6304090.909 J / 4.4 s
P = 1432747.934 W

I'm supposed to answer in kW
P = 1432.747 kW

I don't understand why this answer is wrong!

Physics news on Phys.org
lpcampbe said:
A top fuel drag racer with a mass of 600.0 kg completes a quarter-mile (402 m) drag race in a time of 4.4 s starting from rest. The car's final speed is 115 m/s. What is the engine's average power output? Neglect friction and air resistance.

I know:
Power = Work/ change in time
W = Force * change in distance
F = mass * acceleration
Vf = Vi + at

so i solve for a
115 m/s = 0 m/s + a(4.4 s)
a = 26.1364 m/s^2

then i solve for F
F = 600 kg * 26.1364 m/s^2
F = 15681.8182 N

then i solve for W
W =15681.8182 N * 402 m
W = 6304090.909 J

then i solve for P
P = 6304090.909 J / 4.4 s
P = 1432747.934 W

I'm supposed to answer in kW
P = 1432.747 kW

I don't understand why this answer is wrong!

Perhaps you want to consider that

[tex]Work = \Delta KineticEnergy = \frac{m*v^2}{2} - 0[/tex]

Thanks, LowlyPion!

I also tried to find a using Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ax and i got this same answer, but the equation you gave me made my life so much easier. :)

Thanks again!

1. How do you calculate the average power output for a 600 kg top fuel drag racer?

The average power output for a 600 kg top fuel drag racer can be calculated by dividing the total work done by the time it takes to complete the race. This can be represented by the formula: average power output = work ÷ time. Work can be calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance traveled, and time can be measured by the duration of the race.

2. What is the unit of measurement for average power output?

The unit of measurement for average power output is watts (W). This unit is derived from the International System of Units (SI) and represents the rate of energy transfer or work done per unit time.

3. How does the weight of the drag racer affect its average power output?

The weight of the drag racer does not directly affect its average power output. However, a heavier drag racer may require more force and energy to accelerate and maintain its speed, therefore potentially affecting its average power output. This is why drag racers are designed to be as lightweight as possible.

4. Can the average power output of a drag racer be improved?

Yes, the average power output of a drag racer can be improved through various means such as increasing the engine's horsepower, reducing the weight of the vehicle, and optimizing the aerodynamics. Additionally, the skills of the driver and the track conditions can also play a role in the average power output of a drag racer.

5. Are there any safety concerns when calculating the average power output for a top fuel drag racer?

Yes, there are definitely safety concerns when dealing with high power outputs in motorsports. It is important to closely monitor and regulate the power output to ensure the safety of the driver and those around the track. Additionally, proper protective gear and safety protocols should always be followed when operating a top fuel drag racer.