Determining rate constant and reaction order

In summary, the conversation discusses a chemical reaction where CH3OCH3 gas decomposes into CH4, H2, and CO gases at a constant volume and temperature of 777.15 K. The reaction is started with pure ether and the pressure is measured at different time intervals, but the order of the reaction and rate constant are not known. The equation PV = nRT is mentioned and it is suggested to use the pressure values to calculate the number of moles. However, there is difficulty in calculating the number of moles without knowing the volume. The conversation ends with a request for help in solving the problem.
Aeon

Homework Statement

CH3OCH3(g) ---> CH4(g) + H2(g) + CO(g)

The reaction is conducted at 777.15 K, at constant volume beginning with pure ether.

Code:
t(hours)  0    390  777  1195  3155  +inf
P (torr) 312   408  488  562    779   931

Determine the order of the reaction and approximate the rate constant.

Homework Equations

1) PV = nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I need a number of moles. Pressure is related to moles as stated by equation 1.
Unless I assign an arbitrary value to V, I cannot calculate a value for n.

I have written this table:

Code:
                A --------------> 3B
t=0             a                   0
t              a-x                +3x
t=+inf         0                   3a

I know I have to convert P(tot) in P(ether) using:

P(tot) = (nA + nB) RT/V and
P(ether) = nA RT/V

But erm...
major brainfreeze. (as is usually the case when trying to study after a big meal lol!)

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
bump

I'm done with the rest of my HW. For some reason I can't get my head around this one (and another similar problem).

Can someone help me solve this problem? Please.

Thanks,
Aeon.

1. What is the rate constant and reaction order?

The rate constant is a proportionality constant that relates the concentration of reactants to the rate of a chemical reaction. It is denoted by the symbol k. The reaction order refers to the exponent of the concentration term in the rate law equation, which indicates the dependence of the reaction rate on the concentration of a particular reactant.

2. How do you determine the rate constant and reaction order experimentally?

The rate constant can be determined by measuring the reaction rate at different concentrations of reactants and plotting a graph of concentration versus time. The slope of the resulting curve is equal to the rate constant. The reaction order can be determined by varying the concentration of one reactant while keeping the others constant and observing the effect on the reaction rate.

3. What factors can affect the rate constant and reaction order?

The rate constant and reaction order can be affected by several factors, including temperature, concentration of reactants, presence of catalysts, and the nature of the reactants. Changes in these factors can alter the rate of the reaction and therefore, affect the rate constant and reaction order.

4. Can the rate constant and reaction order change over time?

The rate constant and reaction order are constant at a given temperature and can be considered as characteristic properties of a particular reaction. However, changes in temperature or other factors can cause these values to change over time.

5. How do the rate constant and reaction order relate to the overall rate of a reaction?

The rate constant and reaction order determine the rate law of a reaction, which is an equation that relates the rate of the reaction to the concentration of reactants. This rate law, in turn, determines the overall rate of the reaction and allows us to predict how changes in reactant concentrations will affect the rate of the reaction.