Finding Displacement through integration

In summary, the conversation was about finding the displacement of a particle P from a point O at any given time, given that its acceleration is inversely proportional to (t+1)^3 and it starts at rest at t = 0 and has a speed of 2 m/s at t = 3 seconds. The conversation included a working solution using integration, but the final answer did not match the one in the book. The error was found to be in the initial conditions, and the correct answer is s = 32t^2/(15(t+1)).
GregA
I'm having trouble with the following question:

at any time t, the acceleration of a particle P, traveling in a straight line, is inversely proportional to (t+1)3. Initially, when t = 0, P is at rest at a point O, and 3 seconds later it has a speed 2ms-1. Find in terms of t the displacement of P from O at any time.

My working (using u = t+1):

[tex]a=\frac{k}{(t+1)^3}[/tex]
[tex]v=\int\frac{k}{(t+1)^3}dt[/tex] = [tex]\frac{-k}{2(t+1)^2}+C[/tex]

Now as the particle starts from rest at t= 0, C = 0, and when t =3, v = 2 such that

[tex]2 = \frac{-k}{2(3+1)^2}[/tex] and so K= -64 giving [tex] v = \frac{32}{(t+1)^2}[/tex]

I should now integrate this again to find s...
[tex]s=\int\frac{32}{(t+1)^2}dt[/tex] = [tex]\frac{32}{t+1}+C[/tex]
again, I can lose the constant because when t = 0 P is at the origin so that
[tex]s=\frac{32}{t+1}[/tex]

problem is...the books answer is [tex]s=\frac{32t^2}{15(t+1)}[/tex] and even worse...by differentiating this I find that v does indeed = 2 when t = 3. I am stumped as to how I should derive this though :frown: ... what am I doing wrong? :confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If v is given by

[tex]\frac{-k}{2(t+1)^2}+C[/tex]

and v = 0 at t = 0, then this would mean,

[tex]C = \frac{k}{2(0+1)^2} = \frac{k}{2}[/tex],

not that C = 0.

Then one needs the intial dispacement at t=0

agh...just kept overlooking that screw up in my working :redface: ...Thanks astronuc :smile:

I've done the same :biggrin:

Sometimes, one has to just walk away and not think about it, and that's usually when one has an "Aha!" moment. :cool:

What is displacement and why is it important?

Displacement is a vector quantity that measures the change in position of an object. It is important because it helps us understand an object's motion and calculate its velocity and acceleration.

How is displacement calculated using integration?

Displacement is calculated by taking the integral of an object's velocity over a given time period. This involves finding the area under the velocity-time graph, which represents the change in position.

What are the units of displacement?

The units of displacement are typically measured in meters (m) or a similar unit of length, depending on the system of measurement being used.

What is the difference between displacement and distance?

Displacement is a vector quantity that measures the change in position, while distance is a scalar quantity that measures the total length traveled. Displacement takes into account direction, while distance does not.

Can displacement be negative?

Yes, displacement can be negative. A negative displacement indicates that an object has moved in the opposite direction of a chosen reference point. A positive displacement means the object has moved in the same direction as the reference point.