Analyse motion of an oscillator: x(t)=0.2cos(12*pi*t)

In summary, the author found that the speed is increasing whenever the velocity and acceleration have the same sign. He showed that the product of velocity and acceleration is equal to a positive constant times ##\sin(24 \pi t)##, so it is a matter of figuring out the time for which it is positive in (0, 1/18), then subtracting that from half of 8/12.
MatinSAR
Homework Statement
The equation of motion of an oscillator in SI is ##x(t)=0.2cos(12\pi t)##. In the time interval ## (\frac {1}{18}s,\frac {2}{3}s)##, How many seconds is the speed increasing?
Relevant Equations
Kinematics.
Hello.
I have tried to solve it using x-t Graph. We know that period of this function is ##T=\frac {1}{6}s##.
Then I've used ##x(t)=0## to find the times in which the oscillator is at ##x=0##:
##t=\frac {k}{12} + \frac {1}{24}## for ## k \in Z.##
Now I can draw x-t graph.
1685139958724.png

We should check time interval ## (\frac {1}{18}s,\frac {2}{3}s)##:
##x(\frac {1}{18}s)=-0.1m## (Point A in below graph.)
##x(\frac {2}{3}s)=0.2m## (Point B in below graph.)
1685140639162.png

Blue lines show motion with increasing speed.
So time of motion with increasing speed is: ##(7)(\frac {3}{24}s-\frac {2}{24}s)= \frac {7}{24}s.##

Is it correct?
Can someone suggest another easy way please?

Attachments

• 1685140351510.png
    1685140351510.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 57
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the time interval from ##t=1/12##s to time ##t=2/3##s. During one half of this interval, the object's speed is increasing and during one half of the interval, it's decreasing.

Likes MatinSAR
@sammy Thank you for your help.

Another way that came to my mind:
In a complete period, the speed is increasing in ##T/2## seconds.
First period is incomplete(I mean we should check time interval ##(1/12,2/3s)##) but we can find that in this period the speed is increasing in ##T/4## seconds.
Here we have 3 complete periods plus one incomplete period. We put ##T=1/6s## then we have:
##(3)(T/2)+T/4=7T/4=7/24s##

MatinSAR said:
Is it correct?
Can someone suggest another easy way please?
Your result looks correct to me and your method looks good.

Another approach is to note that the speed is increasing whenever the velocity and acceleration have the same sign. This is equivalent to saying that the product of the velocity and acceleration is positive.

You can easily show that the product of velocity and acceleration is equal to a positive constant times ##\sin(24 \pi t)##. So, the speed is increasing whenever ##\sin(24 \pi t)## is positive. But, you still have to think about the beginning and ending times: 1/18 s and 2/3 s.

I don't think this approach is really any better. It's just a different way to think about it.

Likes MatinSAR
TSny said:
Another approach is to note that the speed is increasing whenever the velocity and acceleration have the same sign. This is equivalent to saying that the product of the velocity and acceleration is positive.

You can easily show that the product of velocity and acceleration is equal to a positive constant times ##\sin(24 \pi t)##. So, the speed is increasing whenever ##\sin(24 \pi t)## is positive. But, you still have to think about the beginning and ending times: 1/18 s and 2/3 s.
Taking that a bit further, the product is positive for half the time in any interval of 1/12s, so it is a matter of figuring out the time for which it is positive in (0, 1/18), then subtracting that from half of 8/12.

Likes TSny and MatinSAR
TSny said:
Your result looks correct to me and your method looks good.
@TSny Thank you for your time.
TSny said:
I don't think this approach is really any better. It's just a different way to think about it.
Thank you for sharing this.

@haruspex Thank you for your help.

Likes TSny

1. What is an oscillator?

An oscillator is a physical system that exhibits repetitive motion around a central equilibrium point. It can be described by a periodic function, such as a sine or cosine wave.

2. How is motion of an oscillator analyzed?

The motion of an oscillator can be analyzed using mathematical tools such as calculus and trigonometry. This involves finding the position, velocity, and acceleration of the oscillator at different points in time.

3. What does x(t) = 0.2cos(12*pi*t) represent?

This equation represents the position of an oscillator at any given time t. The value 0.2 represents the amplitude of the oscillation, while 12*pi represents the frequency.

4. How do you calculate the period of an oscillator?

The period of an oscillator is the time it takes for one complete cycle of motion. It can be calculated using the formula T = 2π/ω, where ω is the angular frequency of the oscillator.

5. What factors affect the motion of an oscillator?

The motion of an oscillator can be affected by factors such as the amplitude, frequency, and initial conditions. External forces, such as friction and damping, can also impact the motion of an oscillator.