Ladder question (Static equilibrium)

In summary, the problem presented is about an 8.0 m, 200 N ladder leaning against a smooth vertical wall with a coefficient of static friction of 0.60 and making a 50.0° angle with the ground. The question is how far up the ladder an 800 N person can climb before the ladder begins to slip. The solution involves setting up an equation for torques, taking into account the forces being in equilibrium, and considering the friction and normal force.
bjgawp
Here's my problem:
An 8.0 m, 200 N ladder rests against a smooth vertical wall. The coefficient of static friction between the ladder and the ground is 0.60, and the ladder makes a 50.0° angle with the ground. How far up the ladder can an 800 N person climb before the ladder begins to slip?

The problem is that I cannot set up the equation for the torques.
Tnet = 0
If we use the bottom of the ladder as our pivot point, we won't have to worry about friction and the normal force - leaving the 200 N ladder, the 800 N person, and the force provided from the wall (I may be wrong). But, after looking through my notes, I am lost on setting up the equation for the torques. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you taken the fact that the forces need to be in equilibrium into account?

bjgawp said:
...If we use the bottom of the ladder as our pivot point, we won't have to worry about friction and the normal force...

It's quite the opposite - you should worry about friction and the normal force.

1. What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium is a state in which all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in the object being at rest or moving with a constant velocity.

2. How does the ladder question relate to static equilibrium?

The ladder question is a common example used to demonstrate the concept of static equilibrium. It involves a ladder leaning against a wall and the forces acting on it to keep it from falling over.

3. What are the forces acting on the ladder in the ladder question?

The forces acting on the ladder include the weight of the ladder, the normal force from the wall, and the force of friction between the ladder and the ground.

4. How can I determine if the ladder is in static equilibrium?

In order for the ladder to be in static equilibrium, the sum of all the forces acting on it must be equal to zero. This can be determined by drawing a free body diagram and using the equations of static equilibrium.

5. What are some real-life applications of static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium is a fundamental concept in engineering and physics and is used in many real-life applications such as building structures, bridges, and even the human body. It is also important in understanding the stability of objects and structures in various environments.