Problems dealing with calorimetry

In summary, the conversation is about a problem dealing with calorimetry, specifically finding the final temperature when a gold bar and water are combined using the equation cx,mx,(Tf-Tix) = cy,my,(Tf-Tiy). The person seeking help was confused about the equation and thought it should be a conservation of energy, but the expert clarifies that it is correct and the issue was a typo.
Speedy
Hey, I am working on some problems dealing with calorimetry. The problem I am stuck on is: What is the final temperature when a 3.0 kg gold bar at 99 degrees C is dropped into a 0.22 kg of water at 25 degrees C.

The equation I am working with is: cx,mx,(Tf-Tix) = cy,my,(Tf-Tiy)
It seems like it should be simple to solve, but I keep getting the wrong answer. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation should be a conservation of energy.

Change in Q of one system plus the change in Q of another system has to be equal to 0.

What you said is change in Q of one system is equal to change in Q of the other system. This is not true. That would mean that if one system lost 100 Joules of energy so would the other one. In fact if one loses 100 Joules then the other one gains 100 Joules.

Sorry, that was a typo, it should read like you said.

Okay, now I got it. I think I punched it in wrong with the calculator. Thanks!

1. What is calorimetry and why is it important in science?

Calorimetry is the scientific measurement of heat energy. It is important because it allows scientists to study and understand the energy changes that occur during chemical reactions, and can also be used to determine the energy content of food and fuels.

2. What are the different types of calorimeters?

There are two main types of calorimeters: constant-pressure calorimeters and constant-volume calorimeters. Constant-pressure calorimeters measure heat at a constant pressure, while constant-volume calorimeters measure heat at a constant volume. There are also bomb calorimeters, which are used to measure the energy content of food and fuels.

3. How do you calculate heat using calorimetry?

The formula for calculating heat using calorimetry is Q = m x c x ΔT, where Q is the heat energy, m is the mass of the substance, c is the specific heat capacity of the substance, and ΔT is the change in temperature. This formula can be used to determine the heat involved in a chemical reaction or to calculate the energy content of a substance.

4. What are some common sources of error in calorimetry experiments?

Some common sources of error in calorimetry experiments include heat loss to the surroundings, incomplete combustion in bomb calorimeters, and heat absorption from the container or apparatus. It is important to control and minimize these sources of error in order to obtain accurate results.

5. How is calorimetry used in real-world applications?

Calorimetry is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in the food industry to determine the energy content of food products, in environmental science to study the energy changes in ecosystems, and in the development of new energy sources and technologies. It is also an important tool in chemistry and physics research for studying the energy changes in chemical reactions and physical processes.