Find Inverse of 2x2 Matrix: Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the conversation is about finding the inverse of a 2x2 matrix and a user needing help with algebraic steps. The formula for the inverse is mentioned, but the user is trying to derive it themselves and is stuck in the process. They provide a matrix and ask for help on the forum.
hoffmann
I need to find the inverse of a 2x2 matrix of the form [a b ; c d]

I'm halfway there, but the algebra gets really messy. Could anyone help me out by doing the problem step by step? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not going to do the problem for you, but I can give you a hint... you should be find that the inverse is of the form (1/ad-bc)M(a,b,c,d), where M(a,b,c,d) is a pretty simple 2x2 matrix.

thanks for the reply. I'm aware of the formula. in fact, I'm trying to derive the formula to prove to myself that i can do gauss jordan elimination. i just got stuck midway because the algebra gets pretty messy. here's where i am in the process:

[ a b ; c d | 1 0 ; 0 1 ] -->
[ a b ; (ac/c) (ad/c) | 1 0 ; 0 (a/c) ] -->
[ a b ; 0 ((ad/c)/c) -b | -1 (a/c) ] -->

i went a couple of steps ahead and i must not be doing something right. i'd appreciate if someone could lay it out for me on the site. thanks!

hoffmann said:
[ a b ; c d | 1 0 ; 0 1 ] -->
[ a b ; (ac/c) (ad/c) | 1 0 ; 0 (a/c) ] -->
[ a b ; 0 ((ad/c)/c) -b | -1 (a/c) ] -->
I don't see how you got that. Starting from the matrix above that, multiply the 2nd row by -1 and add it to the first row. See how to continue from there?

EDIT: Please don't double-post threads. You've already posted this here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=258994

Last edited:

FAQ: Find Inverse of 2x2 Matrix: Step-by-Step Guide

What is a 2x2 matrix?

A 2x2 matrix is a square matrix with two rows and two columns. It is represented by the following general form: [ [a, b], [c, d] ]

What is the inverse of a matrix?

The inverse of a matrix is a matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, results in the identity matrix. In other words, the inverse undoes the original matrix's transformation.

Why is finding the inverse of a matrix important?

Finding the inverse of a matrix is important in solving systems of linear equations, performing matrix operations, and in many other applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science.

What is the process for finding the inverse of a 2x2 matrix?

The process for finding the inverse of a 2x2 matrix involves swapping the main diagonal elements, changing the sign of the off-diagonal elements, and dividing each element by the determinant of the original matrix. This can be represented by the following formula: [ [d, -b], [-c, a] / determinant ]

What are some properties of the inverse of a matrix?

Some properties of the inverse of a matrix include: the inverse of the inverse is the original matrix, the inverse of a product of matrices is equal to the product of the inverses in reverse order, and the inverse of a diagonal matrix is a diagonal matrix with the reciprocals of the original diagonal elements.

Back