Can Gauss-Jordan Elimination Help Me Find the Inverse of a 2x2 Matrix?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the inverse of a 2x2 matrix using Gauss-Jordan elimination. The person asking for help is stuck on the algebra and is looking for someone to provide step by step instructions. The other person helps them by correcting their previous steps and guiding them towards the correct solution. The conversation ends with the correct inverse matrix being presented.
hoffmann
I need to find the inverse of a 2x2 matrix [a b ; c d] using Gauss-Jordan elimination.

I am halfway there but I'm stuck on the algebra because it gets really messy. Could anyone possibly do it step by step?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you show us what you've got so far?

sure:

[ a b ; c d | 1 0 ; 0 1 ] -->
[ a b ; (ac/c) (ad/c) | 1 0 ; 0 (a/c) ] -->
[ a b ; 0 ((ad/c)/c) -b | -1 (a/c) ] -->

here's where I'm a little stuck. I'm bad at keeping track of every variable...i think i miss something along the way because of the messy algebra.

Assuming that your last line is supposed to be:
[tex]\begin{pmatrix} a & b &1 & 0 \\ 0 & \frac{ad}{c}-b & -1 & \frac{a}{c} \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

then your doing fine so far. what is your next step?

here it is:

[ (a(((ad/c)-b)/b) (((ad/c)-b)/b) ; 0 ((ad/c) -b) | (((ad/c)-b)/b) 0 ; -1 (a/c) ]

look good?

Are you multiplying the top row by (ad/c-b)/b ? If so, you should get:
[tex]
\begin{pmatrix} \frac{a(\frac{ad}{c}-b)}{b} & (\frac{ad}{c}-b) &\frac{(\frac{ad}{c}-b)}{b} & 0 \\ 0 & \frac{ad}{c}-b & -1 & \frac{a}{c} \end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

ah right, so the next step is:

[ (a(((ad/c)-b)/b) - (((ad/c)-b)) 0 ; 0 ((ad/c) -b) | ((((ad/c)-b)/b) - (ad/c) -b) 0 ; -1 (a/c) ]

it's messy this way...sorry.

Wouldn't the step be to subtract the bottom row from the top row to get:
[tex]\begin{pmatrix} \frac{a(\frac{ad}{c}-b)}{b} & 0 &\frac{(\frac{ad}{c}-b)}{b}+1 & \frac{-1}{c} \\ 0 & \frac{ad}{c}-b & -1 & \frac{a}{c} \end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix} \frac{a(\frac{ad}{c}-b)}{b} & 0 &\frac{ad}{bc} & \frac{-1}{c} \\ 0 & \frac{ad}{c}-b & -1 & \frac{a}{c} \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

alright, so now we have a matrix with zeros along the anti-diagonal. the inverse doesn't equal the inverse given by the 2x2 inverse formula. what went wrong?

You still have to set the diagonal elements to 1: simply multiply the top row by b/(a(ad/c-b)) and the bottom row by 1/(ad/c-b)

What is a 2x2 matrix inverse formula?

A 2x2 matrix inverse formula is a mathematical equation used to find the inverse of a 2x2 matrix. It is used in linear algebra and is important in solving systems of equations and finding solutions to various problems in physics, engineering, and economics.

How do you find the inverse of a 2x2 matrix using the formula?

To find the inverse of a 2x2 matrix using the formula, you first need to determine the determinant of the matrix. Then, using the determinant, you can find the adjugate of the matrix. Finally, you can use these values to calculate the inverse of the matrix using the formula: inverse = (1/determinant) * adjugate.

What is the purpose of finding the inverse of a 2x2 matrix?

The inverse of a 2x2 matrix is useful in solving systems of linear equations, as well as in finding solutions to problems in geometry, physics, and economics. It can also be used in matrix transformations and inverting matrices.

What are some properties of a 2x2 matrix inverse?

Some properties of a 2x2 matrix inverse include: 1) the product of a matrix and its inverse is equal to the identity matrix, 2) the inverse of a diagonal matrix is a diagonal matrix with the reciprocals of the original diagonal entries, and 3) the inverse of a symmetric matrix is also symmetric.

Are there any limitations or requirements for using the 2x2 matrix inverse formula?

Yes, there are a few limitations and requirements for using the 2x2 matrix inverse formula. The matrix must be square (same number of rows and columns) and non-singular (having a non-zero determinant). Additionally, the formula only works for 2x2 matrices and cannot be applied to larger matrices.