Start Learning Physics: A Beginner's Guide

In summary, if you want to study physics, a good place to start is PhysicsForums (PF). It is recommended to have a strong background in mathematics, including calculus and differential equations. However, there are also introductory physics textbooks available for those without a strong mathematical background. Some suggested books include "A Brief History of Time" and Feynman's lectures, which can be purchased online or found in public libraries.
Demoniac
I want to study physics. Where should I start? If this is the wrong section please forgive me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Demoniac said:
I want to study physics. Where should I start? If this is the wrong section please forgive me.
PF is a good place to start.

What background does one have?

I am 14. I have no physics background except the 3 laws of motion. the coanda effect and bernoulli's principal? What is PF?

PF is PhysicsForums, which is this place!

What is your background in mathematics? Any calculus? Differential? Integral?

Have you learned first order differential equations?

Perhaps one should find an Introductory Physics textbook.

I'm going to be a sophmore in September. I have already taken Living Environment and Math A/Algebra.

You're going to want to learn so math before you can study physics in any mathematical depth. Currently I'd start by trying to learn some geometry and the concepts covered in algebra 2.

That's not to say you can't learn any physics. There are a lot of book written for everyday people. A Brief History of Time comes to mind, and books like that.

Read Feynman's lectures, they don't involve too much problem solving (which offsets the need for calculus, for now) while you learn the math necessary to do those problems.

Or you can also read algebra-based physics books, there are a bunch of them everywhere.

Can Feynman's lectures be purchased at a Barnes & Noble store?

Unfortunately, I think you have to purchase it online.

Although there should be copies lying around in public libraries. It's such a well-known book (or collection of books, I should say).

FAQ: Start Learning Physics: A Beginner's Guide

1. What is the best way to start learning physics?

The best way to start learning physics is to begin with the fundamentals. This includes understanding basic mathematical concepts such as algebra, trigonometry, and calculus. It is also important to have a strong understanding of scientific notation and units of measurement. Once you have a solid foundation in these areas, you can move on to more complex topics in physics.

2. Do I need to be good at math to learn physics?

While a strong understanding of math is important for learning physics, it is not necessary to be a math genius. Many concepts in physics can be understood through visualizations and real-world examples. With dedication and practice, anyone can learn and understand physics.

3. What are some good resources for beginners learning physics?

There are many great resources for beginners learning physics. Some popular options include textbooks, online courses, and educational videos. It is also helpful to find a study group or tutor to assist with any difficult concepts.

4. How long does it take to learn physics?

The amount of time it takes to learn physics varies for each individual. It depends on factors such as your prior knowledge, learning style, and the level of depth you want to go into. With consistent studying and practice, most people can gain a basic understanding of physics within a few months.

5. What are some common misconceptions about learning physics?

One common misconception about learning physics is that it is only for students pursuing a career in science or engineering. In reality, physics is applicable to many different fields and can be beneficial for anyone to learn. Another misconception is that you have to be a genius to understand physics. While it can be challenging, anyone can learn physics with dedication and effort.