Where to start learning mathematics for physics?

In summary: Thank you Dr.Courtney. I think this sounds more like where I'm at. From what little I know, it sounds like I need to start with pre-caculus at least, if not prior to that (if that makes sense). I'll check out that ALEKS system.
Lynch101
Gold Member
Homework Statement:: I'm looking to start learning mathematics to help me understand physics better.
Relevant Equations:: N/A

Hi all. For the longest time I've been talking about learning (or possibly even studying) mathematics to help me better understand physics. My biggest problem is, I'm not entirely sure where to start. I studied physics to a high school equivalent level but I would be quite rusty, so I'm thinking somewhere there would be the best place to start. With the Covid-19 when better to start?

Would anyone be able to recommend a textbook and some accompanying resources? I sometimes struggle with mathematics if it is too abstract, so if there are any textbooks which relate the mathematics to real world scenarios, I find that helps me understand things more and remain motivated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Yes you are right.For deeply understanding physics you need also good intuition of the mathematical machinery which lies behind it.
Maybe you can start with the books of Boa,Cahill or something else which is analogous to this Präsentation.The chronological manner how these books are structured could be a model for your approach.

Likes Lynch101
troglodyte said:
Hi,

Yes you are right.For deeply understanding physics you need also good intuition of the mathematical machinery which lies behind it.
Maybe you can start with the books of Boa,Cahill or something else which is analogous to this Präsentation.The chronological manner how these books are structured could be a model for your approach.
thank you troglodyte! what are the names of the books by Boa and Cahill?

Likes troglodyte and berkeman
Deciding where to start depends on where you are now, and you need an accurate assessment of that which is rare based on high school classes and grades. An ACT Math score provides a better assessment, and better yet, use the ALEKS online learning system and complete the precalculus course there.

When you complete 95+% of the ALEKS precalculus "pie" you are ready to begin algebra-based college physics and not far from calc-based college physics.

But don't let a passing grade in a Calculus class fool you into thinking you know enough precalculus to succeed in physics.

Likes mpresic3, SammyS and Lynch101
Dr. Courtney said:
Deciding where to start depends on where you are now, and you need an accurate assessment of that which is rare based on high school classes and grades. An ACT Math score provides a better assessment, and better yet, use the ALEKS online learning system and complete the precalculus course there.

When you complete 95+% of the ALEKS precalculus "pie" you are ready to begin algebra-based college physics and not far from calc-based college physics.

But don't let a passing grade in a Calculus class fool you into thinking you know enough precalculus to succeed in physics.
Thank you Dr.Courtney. I think this sounds more like where I'm at. From what little I know, it sounds like I need to start with pre-caculus at least, if not prior to that (if that makes sense). I'll check out that ALEKS system.

1. What are the essential mathematical concepts for understanding physics?

The essential mathematical concepts for understanding physics include algebra, calculus, geometry, and trigonometry. These concepts are used to describe and analyze the laws and principles of physics.

2. How can I improve my math skills for physics?

To improve your math skills for physics, it is important to practice regularly and seek help from a tutor or teacher if needed. You can also use online resources, such as Khan Academy, to learn and review mathematical concepts.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong math background to study physics?

While a strong math background is helpful, it is not always necessary to study physics. Many introductory physics courses cover the necessary mathematical concepts, and as long as you are willing to put in the effort to learn and practice, you can be successful in studying physics.

4. Should I focus on learning specific math topics or general problem-solving skills?

Both specific math topics and general problem-solving skills are important for understanding physics. It is recommended to have a strong foundation in basic mathematical concepts and also develop problem-solving skills through practice and application.

5. What resources are available for learning math for physics?

There are many resources available for learning math for physics, including textbooks, online courses, and video tutorials. You can also seek help from your teacher or tutor, or join study groups to work on problems together.