Learning a new topic in graduate school classes in Physics

JorgeA22
Homework Statement: My question is how do you approach a new topic in Physics?, I'm starting grad school next semester and I think that I don't have the best routine studying Physics, so I wanted to know what are your best tips to learn something new in physics?

Specially after the pandemic I had some problems and it was harder for me to concentrate and study properly, so I have some blurry memories about some basic Physics concepts.
Relevant Equations: Learning, Math, Physics

Help

Physics news on Phys.org
JorgeA22 said:
so I have some blurry memories about some basic Physics concepts
That tells you where to start, the basics. Unless you never studied physics everything will be new. Physics is built upon and dependent upon previously discussed principles and techniques. Subjects have prerequisites that you are assumed to understand. Make sure you understand that material. Go back as far as necessary so as to be comfortable with the new subject.

Likes JorgeA22
Welcome to PF.

JorgeA22 said:
I'm starting grad school next semester
Well if you got accepted to grad school in Physics, you must have done fairly well in undergrad, no? What are you specializing in for grad school?

Likes JorgeA22
In grad school the responsibility of learning is placed squarely on your shoulders. If you have a good professor, you learn. If you have a bad professor, you learn despite your professor. In grad school one is expected to convert oneself from college kid to professional. How do you think that will happen to you?

The transformation has to come from within and only you can bring it about. If your routine for studying physics is not good, get rid of it and adopt a better one. If some of the physics you have seen is blurred, make sure it becomes unblurred. Your success in grad school will depend on how focused, determined and persistent you are. At U.S. universities a grade of B- is "good enough" if assigned to an undergraduate but a failing grade if assigned to a grad student.

Likes JorgeA22, Vanadium 50 and berkeman
berkeman said:
Welcome to PF.
Thank You!!
berkeman said:
Well if you got accepted to grad school in Physics, you must have done fairly well in undergrad, no?
I've done my effort that's for sure, but also I'm positive that I could've done far better than what I did in the past, so that's where my insecurity comes from.
berkeman said:
What are you specializing in for grad school?
That's also one of the questions that I don't know how to answer, I've been doing cosmology in undergrad, but I have a few months to see to which area I want to specialize. My pick will probably be either General Relativity or Quantum Physics. In GR I have a fair understanding of the concepts and It will be easier to deal with, but I'm also thinking in switching to the Quantum world…

The modern physics in general is my favorite area of physics.

After I had failed achieving an MScs in both pure mathematics and Theoretical Physics (I took all the course but in physics I failed one class four times and couldn't find a thesis adviser in maths I changed several times my advisers but my Average grades in the courses and seminar was something like 95-96 I cannot remember. This coming year I am enrolling in an MSc in Electrical Engineering without thesis only 10 courses are needed for me to get the degree.
But I still remember stuff that I once learnt in both maths and physics. Though I am not from the US.

What I am trying to advise, is for learning new subject you get a good book, if there are solutions which are known you go over them and check that their derivations are indeed sound. If there aren't you ask in forums like PF or others, and try your luck. If that doesn't work then you're on your own.

1. What is the best way to approach learning a new topic in graduate school physics classes?

The best way to approach learning a new topic in graduate school physics classes is to start by familiarizing yourself with the basics and building a strong foundation. This can include reading textbooks, attending lectures, and seeking help from professors or peers. It is also important to actively engage with the material by practicing problems and applying the concepts to real-world situations.

2. How much time should I dedicate to studying a new topic in graduate school physics classes?

The amount of time you should dedicate to studying a new topic in graduate school physics classes will vary depending on the complexity of the topic and your own learning style. However, as a general rule, it is recommended to spend at least 2-3 hours outside of class for every hour spent in class. This can include reviewing notes, practicing problems, and seeking additional resources.

3. What resources are available to help me learn a new topic in graduate school physics classes?

There are many resources available to help you learn a new topic in graduate school physics classes. These can include textbooks, online lectures and tutorials, study groups, and office hours with professors. It is important to utilize a variety of resources to find what works best for you and to supplement your understanding of the material.

4. How can I stay motivated while learning a new topic in graduate school physics classes?

Staying motivated while learning a new topic in graduate school physics classes can be challenging, but there are a few strategies that can help. Setting achievable goals, breaking up studying into smaller chunks, and taking breaks when needed can all help to keep you motivated. Additionally, reminding yourself of the larger goals and the importance of the topic in your overall education can also be motivating.

5. What should I do if I am struggling to understand a new topic in graduate school physics classes?

If you are struggling to understand a new topic in graduate school physics classes, it is important to seek help as soon as possible. This can include reaching out to your professor, attending office hours, or joining a study group. It is also helpful to review the basics and make sure you have a strong understanding of the fundamentals before moving on to more complex concepts. Don't be afraid to ask for help and remember that it is normal to struggle with challenging material in graduate school.