Do I understand Stokes' theorem? (Calc 3)

In summary: This can be useful because sometimes it's easier to evaluate a line integral rather than a surface integral.In summary, Stokes' theorem provides a method for computing a line integral around a closed curve in three dimensions, with a given vector field F, without having to parametrize the field. This closed curve must be a boundary of a surface S in 3 dimensions. The theorem states that the line integral can be calculated by taking the double integral of the curl of F dotted with the vector field n, which is normal to the plane in which the curve lies. This allows for the evaluation of the line integral on a 2-dimensional plane, making n the vector (i,j,k) that is orthogonal to that plane. By solving for the area
RaoulDuke
Here's where I try to explain Stokes' theorem in my own words and you tell me if I'm right / what I need to clarify on.

Essentially, it's a method to compute a line integral around a closed curve in three dimensions, with a given vector field F, without having to parametrize this field and solve it how one would normally solve a line integral. This closed curve needs to be a boundary of some surface S in 3 dimensions. Stokes' theorem states that the line integral one needs to compute is equal to double integral with respect to area of the curl of F dotted with the vector field n that is normal to the plane in which your curve that you wish to evaluate the line integral of lies. This means that the area on which you evaluate your curl of F dotted with n lies on some 2-dimensional plane. This makes n whatever vector (i, j, k) that lies orthogonal to that plane. Then you simply dot the 2 vectors and solve for the area with respect to whatever plane your surface resides in.

As a bonus, here's a problem:

Homework Statement

Verify Stokes' Theorem for the given vector field F, surface S, and curve C.

Homework Equations

Vector field F = (z-y)i + (x+z)j - (x+y)k
Surface S: z= 9 - x2 - y2 (paraboloid)
Curve C: The circle x2 + y2 = 9 (oriented counterclockwise as seen from above)

curl of F
Stokes' Theorem: outlined above (clearly, I hope)

The Attempt at a Solution

This prompt I assumed wants me to solve both the line integral of the curve I got and if it indeed equals curlF dotted with n over the area (in this case, a circle in the xy plane with radius of 3).

For the line integral:

=(z-y)dx + (x+z)dy - (x+y) dz
since z = 0 (xy plane)
=-y(dx) + x(dy)
Since the surface is a circle w/ radius of 3, we can parametrize x and y as:
x = 3cos(t)
y = 3sin(t)
dx/dt = -3sin(t)
dy/dt = 3cos(t)
Allowing us to rewrite the line integral:
= -(3sin(t))(-3sin(t))+3cos(t)(3cos(t) dt
= 9(sin2(t)) + 9(cos2(t)) dt
= 9 (sin2(t)) + cos2(t)) dt
= 9
swithing to polar for convenience yields
9 * integral from 2pi to zero dt
= 18 [tex]\pi[/tex]

For the other method:

The surface I have to work with is the same one I used with the line integral - the circle in the xy plane with a radius of 3. My curl of F is -2i + 2j. Since my normal is in the direction -i - j + k, dotting these two leads me to a number: 2. Then I set up the double integral as I normally would for a circle with a radius 3 (again, in polar): the outer integral is from 2[tex]\pi[/tex] to 0, the inner from 3 to zero, and the inside is r dr d[tex]\theta[/tex]. Integrating here and multiplying by my curl F dotted with n yields 18[tex]\pi[/tex].

Sorry for my lack of clarity with tex, I couldn't get it to work at all w/ integrals.

Also, if anyone feels like it, could you explain why, if k is positive, i and j are negative (and vice-versa) when it comes to the normal vector n? Also, if someone wants to say how the curl of F helps to calculate line integrals, feel free.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes.

The other way to describe it is that it's a way to compute a surface integral (on an open surface) by only evaluating a line integral of a related function around the edge.

1. What is Stokes' theorem?

Stokes' theorem is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus that establishes a relationship between the surface integral of a vector field over a closed surface and the line integral of the vector field along the boundary of that surface.

2. How is Stokes' theorem related to the divergence theorem?

Stokes' theorem is a generalization of the divergence theorem in three-dimensional space. While the divergence theorem relates a volume integral to a surface integral, Stokes' theorem relates a surface integral to a line integral. Both theorems are based on the concept of flux, which is the measure of how much a vector field flows through a given region.

3. What are the prerequisites for understanding Stokes' theorem?

To understand Stokes' theorem, you should have a solid understanding of vector calculus and its concepts, such as vector fields, line integrals, surface integrals, and gradient, curl, and divergence of a vector field. You should also be familiar with the fundamental theorems of calculus and have a good grasp of multivariable calculus.

4. Can you explain the geometric interpretation of Stokes' theorem?

The geometric interpretation of Stokes' theorem is that it relates the circulation of a vector field along the boundary of a surface to the flux of the curl of the vector field through the surface. In other words, it states that the circulation of a vector field around a closed curve is equal to the flux of the curl of the vector field through any surface bounded by that curve.

5. How is Stokes' theorem used in real-world applications?

Stokes' theorem has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and fluid mechanics. It is used to solve problems involving fluid flow, electromagnetism, and heat transfer. For example, it can be used to calculate the work done by a force field on a moving object or to determine the flow of electric current through a closed loop.