Is the normal of c(t) always directed toward the z-axis?

In summary, the normal to the curve c(t) = (cos(At), sin(At), 1) is always directed toward the z-axis, as shown by the fact that the normal vector N(t) = (-cos(At), -sin(At), 0) always passes through the origin and is perpendicular to the point (0,0). This can be illustrated by sketching the normal on the xy-plane, which forms a circle with each diameter passing through the origin.
madachi

Homework Statement

Let [itex] c(t) = ( cos(At), sin(At), 1) [/itex] be a curve. (A is a constant)

Show that the normal to [itex] c(t) [/itex] is always directed toward the z-axis.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure how to show this. (For example, is the question "asking" us to show the cross product of something is 0 ?) If you tell me how to start the problem, I should have no problem.

I have found the normal, which is [itex] N(t) = ( -cos(At), -sin(At), 0) [/itex].

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
So you have N=<-cos(At),-sin(At),0> and this is in the form <x,y,z>.

What is z equal to? What are the consequences of the negative sign in terms of direction?

rock.freak667 said:
So you have N=<-cos(At),-sin(At),0> and this is in the form <x,y,z>.

What is z equal to? What are the consequences of the negative sign in terms of direction?

[itex] z = 1 [/itex] ? I mean [itex] z [/itex] is always equal to 1, unless you ask what [itex] z [/itex] is for the normal, which is 0. I'm not sure about your second question, could you explain more? Thanks.

madachi said:
[itex] z = 1 [/itex] ? I mean [itex] z [/itex] is always equal to 1, unless you ask what [itex] z [/itex] is for the normal, which is 0. I'm not sure about your second question, could you explain more? Thanks.

I meant for the normal. If z=0, then you're normal is essentially in the xy-plane right?

As for my other question if you have positive values of x and y, in relation to the z-axis, where would you plot those numbers? (Away or toward the axis when you keep increasing positively?)

rock.freak667 said:
I meant for the normal. If z=0, then you're normal is essentially in the xy-plane right?

As for my other question if you have positive values of x and y, in relation to the z-axis, where would you plot those numbers? (Away or toward the axis when you keep increasing positively?)

Away the z axis?

madachi said:
Away the z axis?

Right, so if you have <x,y,0> it points away from the z-axis. Where would <-x,-y,0> point?

rock.freak667 said:
Right, so if you have <x,y,0> it points away from the z-axis. Where would <-x,-y,0> point?

Directed toward the axis. I have a question though, cos(At) and sin(At) aren't always positive, so does this still work?

Thanks.

madachi said:
Directed toward the axis. I have a question though, cos(At) and sin(At) aren't always positive, so does this still work?

Thanks.

I believe if you draw it out, you will see that when cosine is +ve, sine is -ve so one part of the normal will point towards the z-axis and when sine is +ve and cosine is -ve, the other part of the normal points towards the z-axis. In essence it will always point towards the z-axis.

rock.freak667 said:
I believe if you draw it out, you will see that when cosine is +ve, sine is -ve so one part of the normal will point towards the z-axis and when sine is +ve and cosine is -ve, the other part of the normal points towards the z-axis. In essence it will always point towards the z-axis.

Thanks. How should we justify the answer though? I am not sure "what to say" to answer the question. Thanks.

madachi said:
Thanks. How should we justify the answer though? I am not sure "what to say" to answer the question. Thanks.

Your normal is <-cos(At),-sin(At),0> or x= - cos(At), y= -sin(At), if you sketch this in the xy-plane you will get a circle. Each diameter will be a normal. As long as each one passes through the origin (where the z-axis would be perpendicular to the point (0,0)) that would illustrate it.

The illustration would work I guess.

1. What is a parametric curve?

A parametric curve is a mathematical representation of a curve in which the coordinates of a point on the curve are expressed in terms of one or more parameters. This allows for more flexibility in describing complex curves compared to traditional Cartesian coordinates.

2. How is a parametric curve different from a normal curve?

A normal curve, also known as a Gaussian curve, is a specific type of parametric curve that follows a bell-shaped distribution. However, a parametric curve can take on various shapes and does not necessarily have to follow a normal distribution.

3. What is a normal vector in relation to a parametric curve?

A normal vector is a vector that is perpendicular to a tangent vector at a specific point on a parametric curve. It represents the direction of the curve's local curvature at that point.

4. How is a parametric curve useful in scientific research?

Parametric curves have many applications in science, including modeling complex systems, analyzing data, and creating visual representations of mathematical concepts. They are particularly useful for studying the behavior of dynamic systems over time.

5. Can a parametric curve be used to represent any type of curve?

Yes, a parametric curve can be used to represent any type of curve, including straight lines, circles, and more complex curves. By adjusting the parameters, the curve can be manipulated to fit a desired shape or pattern.