What should I do with (-1)^n and factorials in limit problems?

In summary: But it's always good to be thorough :) So the final answer would be 0, right?In summary, when finding the limit of a sequence as n approaches infinity, one can often ignore terms that become negligible at extreme values of n. For example, in the sequence (-1)^n√(n+1)/n, the (-1)^n term becomes irrelevant as n approaches infinity, allowing the sequence to simply approach 0. Similarly, in the sequence 10^n/n!, the factorial term grows much faster than the exponential term, causing the sequence to also approach 0. It is important to keep in mind that this method may not always be applicable and other techniques may need to be used to find the limit.
DieCommie
I have already completed this calculus course but I can't seem to do these problems that I should know I have to find the limit of the sequence which seems to be the same as the limit of a function.

Homework Statement

Find the limit of the given sequence as [tex]n \rightarrow \infty [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\ (-1)^n\sqrt{n+1}}{n}[/tex]

Here the [tex] (-1)^n [/tex] is throwing me... Should I just take the absolute value or what?

[tex]\frac{10^n}{n!}[/tex]

Here my problem is the factorial. I want to use L'Hospital rule, but the factorial isn't differentiable. I am am only a little familiar with the gamma function, what should I do? I have a few with factorials that I am stuck on.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
DieCommie said:
Notice that,
[tex]\left| \frac{(-1)^n \sqrt{n+1}}{n} \right| \leq \frac{\sqrt{n+n}}{n} = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{n}} \to 0[/tex]

Use the Ratio Test:
[tex] \lim_{n\to \infty} \frac{10^{n+1}}{(n+1)!}\cdot \frac{n!}{10^n} = \lim_{n\to \infty} \frac{10}{n+1}\to 0[/tex]
Since the limit [tex]|L|<1[/tex] it means the original sequence converges to 0.

OK, Thank you. Each of those make sense to me. I still wonder if there is another way however... Because the sections in the book that describe your two methods are after these problems.

EDIT- BTW, the book is Math Methods, Boas, 3rd edition.

Well those methods, Such as the Ratio test, are the ways of formally proving the fact, in the sections of the book earlier than them it may just have expected you to work out that the factorial function gets large much quicker than 10^n.

And for the first one, alternatively you may remember that as x--> infinity, you only need to consider the leading term in a polynomial, as that is the dominating one. So as n-->infinity, n+1 ---> n.

So ignoring the (-1)^n for now, it becomes [tex] \frac{ \sqrt{n} }{n} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}[/tex], which as n --> infinity becomes 0. Knowing that all (-1)^n can do is change the sign, and that the sign doesn't matter for 0, we are done.

Notice that you cannot, in general, just ignore (-1)n. n/(n+1) converges to 1 but (-1)nn/(n+1) does not converge. Do you see why?

Okay

DieCommie said:
I have already completed this calculus course but I can't seem to do these problems that I should know I have to find the limit of the sequence which seems to be the same as the limit of a function.

Homework Statement

Find the limit of the given sequence as [tex]n \rightarrow \infty [/tex]

Here the [tex] (-1)^n [/tex] is throwing me... Should I just take the absolute value or what?

Here my problem is the factorial. I want to use L'Hospital rule, but the factorial isn't differentiable. I am am only a little familiar with the gamma function, what should I do? I have a few with factorials that I am stuck on.

Thanks

Well, forget L'Hopital's Rule; hell, forget math for a second. With series, the math is intrinsically vital; with sequences, just visualizing what the hell is going on is a lot better.

Okay, here goes:

Visualize a square root function, and a linear function (the numerator and the denominator of the sequence). The square root function grows slowly; it takes its good old time to reach the same numbers that the linear function climbs to early on. So as you increase the value of x (or n), the denominator is increasing a lot faster than the numerator is, right? I mean, even though the numerator is shifted across the x-axis by one unit, that kinda goes away, doesn't it, as your numbers get larger?

Take, for example, if you add 1 to 4 and then take the square root; that equals 2.23... and the other is 2. That seems like a good difference early on, right? Well, look at it as you increase the value of x: 100000 and 100001

sqrt(1000000) = 316.2277
sqrt(1000001) = 316.2293

See how small that difference is getting? Well, taking x to infinity is like taking that difference and making it 0. It's related to the whole concept of if x = infinity, then "anything plus infinity is still infinity." So even though that x value on the top has one added to it, you can forget about it when we push this sequence to the extremes of infinity.

So then, what happens when top and the bottom when we make that +1 negligable? Well, the bottom is growing faster. What happens when your denominator is growing faster than your numerator? Well, it gets smaller. What happens when you amplify that to the extremes of infinity? That seeming small increase to the denominator becomes infinite, and the whole function approaches 0.

Well, that takes care of the whole oscillation problem, now doesn't it? You can't attach a sign to 0, can you? It's neutral, so whatever (-1)^infinity is, it doesn't matter. You can't calculate it's effect anyways.

And that's how you've got to look at sequences. Let's apply this concept to your next sequence.

10^n is growing really, really fast, right? But is n! growing faster?

Well, look at it this way: 10^n is growing really fast, but n! is growing even faster. It's growing hyper fast, because it keeps on multiplying everything before it. 10*10*10 is fast, but keep in mind, n! is multiplying everything, including all of those values of 10*10*10, plus every number inbetween together. Much faster, no?

So since the denominator is growing faster than the numerator, it approaches zero.

HallsofIvy said:
Notice that you cannot, in general, just ignore (-1)n. n/(n+1) converges to 1 but (-1)nn/(n+1) does not converge. Do you see why?

yup that is true :) I justify myself that I didn't completely ignore them, but just noticed that they wouldn't make a difference if the rest of the expression goes to 0.

Related to What should I do with (-1)^n and factorials in limit problems?

1. What is a limit of a sequence?

A limit of a sequence is the value that the terms of the sequence approach as the sequence continues infinitely. It represents the ultimate behavior or trend of the sequence.

2. How do you determine the limit of a sequence?

The limit of a sequence can be determined by evaluating the terms of the sequence as it approaches infinity. This can be done by observing the behavior of the terms, such as whether they are increasing or decreasing, and if they are converging towards a specific value.

3. Can a sequence have multiple limits?

No, a sequence can only have one limit. If a sequence has multiple limits, then it is not considered a convergent sequence and does not have a limit.

4. What is the difference between a bounded and unbounded sequence?

A bounded sequence is one in which the terms of the sequence remain within a finite range or interval. An unbounded sequence, on the other hand, has terms that continue to increase or decrease without any limit.

5. How are limits of sequences related to limits of functions?

Limits of sequences and limits of functions are closely related, as both involve the behavior of a quantity as it approaches a certain value. In fact, the limit of a sequence is considered to be a special case of the limit of a function, where the sequence can be thought of as a discrete set of points on a graph.