Real Analysis (Rudin) exercise with inequalities

In summary, the problem states that if k>2, x, y in R^k, |x-y| = d > 0, and r > 0, and 2r > d, then there are infinitely many z in R^k such that |z-x| = |z-y| = r. The general outline for the proof is to show that there exists at least one z that satisfies the equation, and then use the definition of the distance function in R^k to yield two quadratic equations in at least three unknowns. These can then be expanded with the binomial theorem and the components of z can be canceled out, resulting in two linear equations in at least k>2 unknowns. This shows
murmillo

Homework Statement

Suppose k>2, x, y in R^k, |x-y| = d > 0, and r > 0.
Prove if 2r > d, there are infinitely many z in R^k such that
|z-x| = |z-y| = r

(In Principles of Mathematical Analysis, it is problem 16(a) on page 23.)

Homework Equations

|ax| = |a||x|
|x-z| < or = |x-y| + |y-z|
|x+y| < or = |x| + |y|

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not quite sure how to tackle this proof. Here's the general outline I have:
- Show that there exists at least one z.
- Suppose there existed one and only one z. Is there a contradiction? Or, can I find z', a linear combination of z that also works and then from z' use the same rule to get z'', ad infinitum?

As you can see, I don't really know how to tackle "show there are infinitely many solutions" proofs.
One thought I had was, well, suppose z satisfies the necessary conditions.
Can I show that there exists c in R or d in R^k such that z' = cz + d also satisfies the necessary conditions?

But all I can get is |z' - y| = |z - y + d| < or = |z-y| + |d|
And |z' - y| has to = |z-y| = r, but that doesn't tell me anything.

Can someone give a hint or two to point me in the right direction? How should I tackle this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Once you show that some z satisfies the equation, you can use the definition of the distance function in R^k to yield two quadratic equations in at least three unknowns. Expand with the binomial theorem and you cancel out the components of z and thus there are two linear equations in at k>2 unknowns, which has infinite solutions.

1. What is Real Analysis?

Real Analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of real numbers and their properties. It involves the rigorous examination of concepts such as limits, continuity, differentiation, and integration.

2. What is Rudin?

Rudin, or "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" by Walter Rudin, is a widely used textbook in the field of Real Analysis. It covers a variety of topics in a concise and rigorous manner, making it a popular choice for students and researchers alike.

3. What are inequalities in Real Analysis?

Inequalities in Real Analysis refer to mathematical statements that compare two real numbers or functions. They can be used to establish relationships between different quantities and are an important tool in proving theorems and solving problems in Real Analysis.

4. How do I approach exercises with inequalities in Rudin?

When working on exercises with inequalities in Rudin, it is important to carefully read and understand the problem, identify the relevant concepts and theorems, and use them to construct a logical and rigorous proof. It is also helpful to consider special cases and counterexamples to support or refute your solution.

5. What are some common challenges when working on exercises with inequalities in Rudin?

Some common challenges when working on exercises with inequalities in Rudin include understanding the definitions and properties of real numbers, correctly applying theorems and techniques, and constructing clear and concise proofs. It is also important to practice and develop a strong understanding of the concepts before attempting more complex exercises.