What Textbooks Do University Physics Students Use?

In summary, the person is a grade 11 student who has completed their grade 11 math and physics credits and is interested in studying grade 12 and university level physics. They have enjoyed math and tried physics for the first time last semester, finding it "awesome" except for optics. They have already almost finished a grade 12 physics textbook and are looking for more challenging material. They are also interested in studying more math and are recommended to check out Stewart's calculus text for calculus based physics and Thomas' Calculus for calculus of a single variable and multivariable calculus. They are advised to look for older editions to save money if self-studying.
nobelium102
Hi, I am grade 11 in high school
I got my grade 11 math and physics credit
and i thought i want to move on and study grade 12 and more (maybe even university level)
I always loved math and last semester I tried physics for first time and it was awesome
(except optics,, hahaha personal preference i guess)

anyways

I have a grade 12 physics textbook and giancoli physics 5th edition
I am almost done giancoli
and i want to try some more challenging stuff

So which textbooks do 1st 2nd 3rd 4th year students use for physics?

physics is so cool and almost beautiful

P.s. I think i need to study some math as well? can you recommend some math textbook?

Physics news on Phys.org
Grab a good calculus text that covers the 3 semesters of university calculus. The next step is calculus based physics which is certainly a drag if you don't know calculus :). Check out Stewart's calculus text. I know there's another well known calculus text but I can't put my finger on it.

For first year physics, I would recommend "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and Jewett. It is a very readable text with plenty of examples and chapter summaries.

As far as math goes, Thomas' Calculus is very good. It covers calculus of a single variable and multivariable calculus, so you will have plenty to learn.

You can probably pick up an older edition of either of these books relatively cheap on amazon or ebay. If you are self studying, there is no reason to buy a newer edition.

thx for the replies
i should have read some of the older posts before i asked
many questions were similar as mine

no need to answer mine anymore
thx though

I am excited to hear about your interest in self-teaching physics! It is wonderful that you have already completed your grade 11 math and physics credits and are eager to continue learning. Physics is a fascinating subject that can be challenging but also incredibly rewarding.

To answer your question about textbooks, it really depends on the specific university or program you are interested in. However, some commonly used textbooks for undergraduate physics courses include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, and "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by Griffiths. I would recommend doing some research on the specific textbooks used in the universities or programs you are interested in to get a better idea of what to expect.

In terms of math, it is definitely important to have a strong foundation in mathematics in order to excel in physics. I would recommend reviewing and practicing algebra, trigonometry, and calculus, as these are fundamental concepts used in physics. A good math textbook to start with would be "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by Stewart.

Remember, self-teaching can be challenging, but with dedication and a passion for the subject, you can achieve your goals. Good luck on your journey of self-teaching physics!

1. What resources do I need to self teach physics?

To self teach physics, you will need textbooks, online resources, practice problems, and possibly access to a laboratory. You may also want to invest in a good calculator and some physics software.

2. How much time should I dedicate to self teaching physics?

The amount of time you should dedicate to self teaching physics depends on your prior knowledge and learning pace. However, on average, you should plan to spend at least 6-8 hours per week on studying and practicing physics concepts.

3. Can I self teach physics without any prior knowledge?

Yes, it is possible to self teach physics without any prior knowledge. However, it may take more time and effort to understand the fundamental concepts. It is recommended to start with basic algebra and trigonometry skills before diving into physics.

4. How can I ensure I am understanding the material correctly while self teaching physics?

One way to ensure you are understanding the material correctly is to regularly test yourself with practice problems and quizzes. You can also seek out online communities or forums for help and clarification on concepts you are struggling with.

5. Can I self teach physics and still excel in the subject?

Yes, self teaching physics can be just as effective as taking a traditional course if you are dedicated and motivated. With proper resources and time management, you can excel in the subject and even pursue higher levels of physics in the future.