Why Isn't x^2-1 Divisible by m?

In summary: I've got the idea.-TetsujiIn summary, the conversation discusses the divisibility of Euler's function by 4 when m has a prime factor p such that p is equivalent to 1 modulo 4. It also mentions that the book being referenced states that x^2-1 is not divisible by m due to the nature of a prime factor. However, this is not always the case and further clarification is needed.
maverick6664
I have a question; Let m have a prime factor [itex] p \equiv 1 (mod 4)[/itex]. Then Euler function [itex]\varphi(m)[/itex] is divisible by 4. Let [itex]x = r^{\varphi(m)}[/itex], then [itex]m|(x^4-1)[/itex] and [itex]x^4-1=(x^2-1)(x^2+1)[/itex]. As [itex]gcd(x^2-1,x^2+1)|2[/itex], either [itex]x^2-1[/itex] or [itex]x^2+1[/itex] is divisible by m. My book says here because of the nature of a prime factor, and that [itex]x^2-1[/itex] isn't divisible by m, so that [itex]x^2+1[/itex] is divisible by m. I cannot understand why [itex]x^2-1[/itex] isn't divisible by m because of "a nature of a prime factor".

Will anyone help me?

TIA

Mathematics news on Phys.org
maverick6664 said:
I have a question; Let m have a prime factor [itex] p \equiv 1 (mod 4)[/itex]. Then Euler function [itex]\varphi(m)[/itex] is divisible by 4. Let [itex]x = r^{\varphi(m)}[/itex], then [itex]m|(x^4-1)[/itex] and [itex]x^4-1=(x^2-1)(x^2+1)[/itex]. As [itex]gcd(x^2-1,x^2+1)|2[/itex], either [itex]x^2-1[/itex] or [itex]x^2+1[/itex] is divisible by m. My book says here because of the nature of a prime factor, and that [itex]x^2-1[/itex] isn't divisible by m, so that [itex]x^2+1[/itex] is divisible by m. I cannot understand why [itex]x^2-1[/itex] isn't divisible by m because of "a nature of a prime factor".

Will anyone help me?

TIA

What is r in [itex]\,x=r^{\varphi(m)}\,[/itex] ? And what book are you reading and where?

Some conditions must be imposed here: take for example $$\,m=5\,\,,\,r=2\,,\,x=r^{\varphi(m)}=2^4=16 \Longrightarrow 65,525=16^4-1=(16^2-1)(16^2+1)$$but in this case precisely [itex]\,\,5=m\nmid 16^2+1=257\,\,[/itex] , but rather [itex]\,\,5=m\mid 16^2-1=255\,\,[/itex] , contradicting what you wrote.

DonAntonio

DonAntonio said:
What is r in [itex]\,x=r^{\varphi(m)}\,[/itex] ? And what book are you reading and where?

Some conditions must be imposed here: take for example $$\,m=5\,\,,\,r=2\,,\,x=r^{\varphi(m)}=2^4=16 \Longrightarrow 65,525=16^4-1=(16^2-1)(16^2+1)$$but in this case precisely [itex]\,\,5=m\nmid 16^2+1=257\,\,[/itex] , but rather [itex]\,\,5=m\mid 16^2-1=255\,\,[/itex] , contradicting what you wrote.

DonAntonio

Thank you for your reply.

r is a primitive root for m. Sorry I wrote "primitive factor" because I didn't know the math nomenclature (I'm Japanese in Japan). This is a Japanese book for preparation for IMO. I'm too old for IMO, but just interested in it and reading. My 1st daughter was chosen as a Japanese representative for CGMO(China Girl's Math Olympiad).

I have made two mistakes in the previous message; my book says m is "a power of prime number" p, where [itex]p\equiv 1 (mod 4)[/itex]. (but this is not a big mistake).

The other main mistake is [itex]x=r^\frac{\varphi(m)}{4}[/itex] (so [itex]p\equiv 1 (mod 4)[/itex] is necessary). So in your case, [itex] x ≠ 16[/itex]. x had to be (or could be) 2 and [itex]m|x^4-1=15=(x^2-1)(x^2+1).[/itex] It makes sense. x=r can be 3.

Sorry for mistakes.

Last edited:
Since r is a primitive root of m = pk, the values [itex]r, r^{2}, r^{3}, ... r^{\phi(m)}[/itex], modulo m, are distinct. In particular, [itex]r^{\phi(m)}\equiv1 (m)[/itex], and no power of r from 1 to [itex]\phi(m)-1[/itex] can satisfy that. [itex]x^{2} = r^{\phi(m)/2}[/itex], so [itex]x^{2} \neq 1 (m)[/itex]
(Latex doesn't seem to have a \nequiv symbol.)

haruspex said:
Since r is a primitive root of m = pk, the values [itex]r, r^{2}, r^{3}, ... r^{\phi(m)}[/itex], modulo m, are distinct. In particular, [itex]r^{\phi(m)}\equiv1 (m)[/itex], and no power of r from 1 to [itex]\phi(m)-1[/itex] can satisfy that. [itex]x^{2} = r^{\phi(m)/2}[/itex], so [itex]x^{2} \neq 1 (m)[/itex]

Try [itex]\rlap{\,/}{\equiv}[/itex] to negate the equivalence sign.

DonAntonio

haruspex said:

Thank you! I've got the idea.

-Tetsuji

DonAntonio said:
Try [itex]\rlap{\,/}{\equiv}[/itex] to negate the equivalence sign.
Thanks!

1. What is a primitive root?

A primitive root is an integer that, when raised to different powers, generates all of the integers relatively prime to a given modulus. In other words, a primitive root is a number that serves as a base for a multiplicative group modulo a given number.

2. How do you find a primitive root?

Finding a primitive root involves using a mathematical concept called the "primitive root theorem." This theorem states that if a prime number p is given, then there exists at least one primitive root modulo p. To find a primitive root, one must systematically test different values until a primitive root is found.

3. What are the properties of a primitive root?

A primitive root must have the following properties:

• It must be relatively prime to the modulus.
  • It must be a generator of the multiplicative group of integers modulo the given modulus.
  • It must have the property that all of its powers (up to the modulus - 1) are distinct and relatively prime to the modulus.

4. Can a number have more than one primitive root?

Yes, a number can have multiple primitive roots. However, the number of primitive roots modulo a given modulus is limited by the totient function. For example, a prime number p has exactly phi(p-1) primitive roots, where phi is the totient function.

5. What is the significance of primitive roots?

Primitive roots have several applications in number theory and cryptography. They are used in the construction of public key encryption schemes, where the difficulty of finding primitive roots modulo a large number is essential in ensuring the security of the encryption algorithm.