Relationship between the Chi_squared and Gamma Distributions ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the distribution of the sum and mean of n independent Chi-squared distributed random variables, as well as the relationship between Chi-squared and Gamma distributions. The Wikipedia entry is questioned for asserting that the mean of n Chi-squared RVs is distributed as Gamma(nk/2,2/n) instead of n*Gamma(nx;nk/2,2). The conversation concludes that the Wikipedia entry may be incorrect and seeks confirmation from an expert in the subject.
Usjes
Hi,

It has been a long time since I have worked with pdfs so perhaps someone can help. According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Chi-squared_distribution#Additivity) the pdf of the addition of n independend Chi_squared distributed R.V.s is also Chi_squared distributed but with n*k degrees of freedom where the original R.V.s each had k DofF. It goes on though to say that the mean of n such Chi_squared R.V.s has a Gamma Distribution (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Chi-squared_distribution#Sample_mean)
But the mean is just the sum scaled by 1/n, does this imply that the Gamma distribution is essentially the same as the Chi_squared distribution (just compressed along the x-axis) ? Or is the Wikipedia entry wrong ? I just find it odd that there would be two 'standard' distributions that are just transforms of one-another, can anyone anyone confirm this ?

Thanks,

Usjes.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks to the above reference I have been able to confirm that the sum of n IID Chi_squared(k) RVs will be distributed as:
Chi_squared(n*k) or equivalently Gamma(nk/2,2)
I still see a problem with the Wikipedia entry though, it asserts that the mean of n IID Chi_squared(k) RVs will be:
Gamma(n*k/2,2/n) (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chi-squared_distribution#Sample_mean)
My problem with this is that the mean is just the sum scaled by 1/n => by the standard result for scaling of an RV:
If X has pdf p(x) then Y = aX has pdf 1/a*p(y/a)
So the sum of n Chi_squared(k) should be Chi_squared(n*k) and the mean should be n*Chi_squared(nx;nk) or eqivalently n*Gamma(nx;nk/2,2)
The Wikipedia article lists the distribution of the sample mean of IID Chi_squared RVs as:
Gamma(x;nk/2,2/n) which is not the same.
So it seems to me that the Wikipedia entry is incorrect, can anyone confirm/disprove this, I'd rather not change it without someone else confirming as I am clearly not an expert in this subject.

1. What is the relationship between the Chi-squared and Gamma distributions?

The Chi-squared distribution is a special case of the Gamma distribution, where the shape parameter (k) is equal to 2. This means that the Chi-squared distribution is a specific form of the Gamma distribution with a shape parameter of 2.

2. How are the probability density functions of the Chi-squared and Gamma distributions related?

The probability density functions of the Chi-squared and Gamma distributions are similar, but not identical. The Chi-squared distribution has a more restricted range of values and a sharper peak compared to the Gamma distribution.

3. Can the Chi-squared distribution be used to approximate the Gamma distribution?

Yes, the Chi-squared distribution can be used to approximate the Gamma distribution when the shape parameter (k) is large. This is known as the Chi-squared approximation to the Gamma distribution.

4. What are the main differences between the Chi-squared and Gamma distributions?

The main difference between the Chi-squared and Gamma distributions is the range of values they can take. The Chi-squared distribution is only defined for non-negative integers, while the Gamma distribution can take on any positive real value. Additionally, the shape and scale parameters of the two distributions have different interpretations and implications.

5. How are the Chi-squared and Gamma distributions used in statistics?

The Chi-squared and Gamma distributions are commonly used in statistical tests and analyses. The Chi-squared distribution is used to test for independence in contingency tables, while the Gamma distribution is used in regression analysis and survival analysis. These distributions also have applications in fields such as finance, engineering, and physics.