Relationship between size and frequency of an oscillator

In summary, the resonant frequency, Q factor, and size of a MEMS oscillator all scale with each other.
CraigH
I've always just accepted that as you scale down a mechanical system the frequency and Q factor both increase. For example, this Wikipedia page simply says that "Small bells ring at higher frequencies than large bells".

But for a driven damped harmonic oscillator, what is the exact relationship between size, resonant frequency, and Q factor?

http://www.ieee-uffc.org/frequency-control/learning/pdf/Kaajakari-MEMS_Resonators_v2b.pdf states that a tuning fork scales:

##\omega_r \propto \frac{1}{size}##

But how about a mass-spring-damper? Will this also scale the same as the tuning fork?

I'm trying to find out how the frequency and Q factor scale as you scale down MEMS oscillators, and the PDF above states that a MEMS oscillator can be modeled as a mass-spring-damper.

##m \ddot{x} + c \dot{x} + kx = F_{input}##

If the oscillator can be modeled as above, can we use the same scaling law as the tuning fork? If we can, how can this be proved mathematically? If not, how will it scale? I'm guessing it all depends on how ##m##, ##c##, and ##k## scale with size. If this is complex, what is a fair assumption to simplify the problem? If the maths is still too complex, are there any rules of thumb of how mass-spring-damper frequency scales with size? Is there anything I need to watch out for as the MEMS resonator can be scaled down to micro and nano scale sizes?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I've almost found the answer. http://www.ieee-uffc.org/frequency-control/learning/pdf/Piazza-MEMS_Resonators_for_Frequency_v1.pdf says the answer is:

##f_0 \propto \frac{T}{L^2} \sqrt{\frac{E}{\rho}}##

I now just need to know what the symbols are. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
from normal bell, frequency tuner, and other oscillations it is all f = sqrt (k/m), as the resonator mass decreases for a constant stiffness the frequency increases. or as stiffness increases the frequency increases.

the equation above takes into account the geometry and young's modulus of the material - I think its material flexural vibration modes. take beam of material and you trying to calculate the stiffness and mass. the not an equals sign is to indicate that there a multiple modes possible.
so basically a L length of beam, with a E young's modulus and a density rho, T is the beam's thickness.
the first mode is going to be the greatest usually and the lowest frequency - simple bending.

1. What is the relationship between the size of an oscillator and its frequency?

The relationship between size and frequency of an oscillator is inverse. This means that as the size of the oscillator increases, the frequency decreases and vice versa. This is known as the size-frequency law.

2. How does the size of an oscillator affect its frequency?

The size of an oscillator affects its frequency because it determines the length of the oscillator's period. A longer oscillator will have a longer period and therefore a lower frequency, while a shorter oscillator will have a shorter period and a higher frequency.

3. Is there a specific mathematical equation that describes the relationship between size and frequency of an oscillator?

Yes, there is a mathematical equation known as the size-frequency law that describes the relationship between size and frequency of an oscillator. It states that the frequency is inversely proportional to the square root of the length of the oscillator.

4. Are there any exceptions to the size-frequency law?

Yes, there are exceptions to the size-frequency law. In some cases, the relationship between size and frequency may not follow a perfect inverse relationship. This can occur when there are other factors at play, such as the material properties of the oscillator or external forces acting on it.

5. How does the relationship between size and frequency of an oscillator impact its practical applications?

The relationship between size and frequency of an oscillator is important in various practical applications, such as in engineering and physics. It allows for the design and optimization of oscillating systems for specific purposes, such as in electronic circuits, musical instruments, and timekeeping devices.