Calculate Force of Rod at Fixed Pivot Point

• Thread starter sportymat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pivot Rod
In summary, to calculate the kinetic energy of an object striking the ground, you'll need to take into account the velocity of the striking object, as well as the elevation and angle of the striking object at the time of impact.
sportymat
Hello,

I have not studied any physics or mechanics in a number of years so apologise in advance.

Part of my dissertation involves the manufacture of a test rig that will continually strike an implement just above the floor, at a known force.

The rig is comprised of a rod with a known mass which is fixed at one end to a pivot point. The other end is weighted. The rod will be raised to a known angle and then left to rotate freely under gravity until it strikes the ground.

As i see it, the variables that can be manipulated in order to achieve the desired force, are length of rod, mass at end point of rod, relative angle of rod to the ground.

How would i go about calculating the necessary parameters to achieve a certain end force?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
dPE=-dKE

The potential energy stored as the rig is raised will be converted to kinetic energy on the way down. KE=mV^2. Your issue is going to be a little complicated though. Because the rod also has mass of a known linear density and each differential slice dx will be raised a distance of x(sin(theta1)-sin(theta2)) you'll need to account for that too. So you'll need to do some integral calculus to figure out the total difference in kinetic energy between top and bottom. That will be the energy expended in the collision when it strikes bottom. Friction (if any) in your pivot will need to be subtracted.

The speed at which this energy is expended will factor into how much peak force is generated. You may be able to model it after something like a ball bearing hitting the floor, or you may have to determine it experimentally. You should be able to figure out the deceleration (acceleration), and then plug that into F=ma, and solve for F. Or use the impulse equation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impulse_(physics )

That's the short answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your reply,

I again apologise for my lack of knowledge on this subject, so if i am thinking incorrectly please let me know.

I was looking at calculating linear impact forces earlier today in which, Impact force = KE/D (D = distance traveled by object), could this not be used in a similar fashion to calculate the force of the impact.

when attempting to calculate KE, I am struggling to calculate the Velocity of the striking implement at the end of the rod when it is free falling under gravity, so any help here would be appreciated? For example if the rod is 1.5m long and has mass 3kg, is raised at an angle of 30 degrees to the horizontal and has a point mass located at the far end of the rod of mass 20kg, how would we calculate KE and therefore the impact force. (assuming that there is no friction in the system)

Thanks

The final kinetic energy, mass times mv^2 will be equal to the vertical distance fallen times gravity times mass, mgh.

Set the two equal to each other, and mass cancels out. So you can solve for final velocity. But your device is complicated by the fact that the rod has mass as well, and will add to the total kinetic energy (and momentum) of the device at impact.

Is this the case even though the mass will move in an arc around the pivot point?

Thanks

Yes. The mass moving in an arc really doesn't affect the net KE being generated as a result of it changing elevation. And I'm assuming that the head of the striking implement will be more-or-less perpendicular to the surface of the object it's striking. This means all the velocity will be instantaneously confined to the up-and-down axis.

If you're a decent mathematician, that should be enough to calculate the average velocity for your mass at impact. Which will give you a momentum to plug into the impulse equation. Sorry I'm kind of pressed for time at present, so I don't have time to go into all the equations in-depth. It may take you a page or two of calculations, but definitely do-able to a reasonable degree of accuracy.

What is the formula for calculating the force of a rod at a fixed pivot point?

The formula for calculating the force of a rod at a fixed pivot point is F = m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass of the rod, and a is the acceleration.

What is a fixed pivot point?

A fixed pivot point is a point on a rod or object that does not move when force is applied to it. It serves as a reference point for calculating the force and torque on the object.

How do you determine the direction of the force at a fixed pivot point?

The direction of the force at a fixed pivot point is determined by the direction of the acceleration of the object. If the acceleration is in the same direction as the force, then the force is positive. If the acceleration is in the opposite direction, then the force is negative.

What factors affect the force of a rod at a fixed pivot point?

The force of a rod at a fixed pivot point is affected by the mass of the rod, the acceleration of the rod, and the distance from the fixed pivot point to the center of mass of the rod. The direction of the force is also affected by the direction of the acceleration.

What are some real-life examples of calculating the force of a rod at a fixed pivot point?

A common example is a seesaw, where the force of a person sitting at one end of the seesaw is balanced by the force of a person sitting at the other end. Another example is a lever, where the force applied to one end of the lever is transferred to the other end to lift a heavy object.