What is the horizontal force exerted by the pivot on the rod

In summary, the speed of the com of the rod just after it is hit is v, and the horizontal component of the force exerted by the pivot on the rod is Ix.
Vitani11

Homework Statement

A rod swings freely about a pivot. Is has mass M and length L. The average force and duration of hit are Fo and t respectively. A) What is the speed of the com of the rod just after It is hit? B) what is the horizontal component of the force exerted by the pivot on the rod? At what value of x is the center of percussion?

Homework Equations

V = (L^2) (omega) / (12x)
I of rod = (1/12)ML^2
X is distance down rod of applied force

The Attempt at a Solution

A has been found. I think C) is one third - and if it is that means I don't need help with b. To find B I just used the equation from A and multiplied it by mass and divided by time and reduced to m(L^2)*alpha/(12x). I set this equal to I*alpha for the pivot - the I of which I THINK is just mr^2. The moment of inertia of the pivot needs to be accounted for because it exerts a force on the rod in this case. This gave me 1/3 for part c. Is this correct? Because I used r for the pivot as L/2 (same L as rod) which can't possibly make sense...

Physics news on Phys.org
Vitani11 said:
A rod swings freely about a pivot.
The pivot is at one end? It is hanging vertically?
Vitani11 said:
The average force and duration of hit
What hit? Is it struck perpendicularly at the free end?

It hangs freely. It's hit with an average force f which causes it to rotate about the pivot. I now know that part B and C are wrong. It is number 2

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 621
Vitani11 said:
It hangs freely. It's hit with an average force f which causes it to rotate about the pivot. I now know that part B and C are wrong. It is number 2
Thanks for posting the original text, that's much clearer.
Please show your working for part b. The outline you gave is not detailed enough.

Likes Vitani11
Okay. Uh, part A is wrong...the moment of inertia is actually ML^2/3. To go about part A this is what I did... please tell me if this is correct because I have absolutely no confidence in my ability to do physics at this point. I don't know what to do for B - all I know is that the force at the bottom is equal to the force at the top which is determined by the torque of the pivot point at the top and the force that is solved for by rearranging part A for the bottom. I know that x needs to be 2L/3, I just need to show this. I can't come up with a correct equation to equate the torque and force respectively. And if part A is wrong I can say goodbye to this entire problem, anyway. So that is my first priority right now.

Attachments

• IMG_16421.jpg
    IMG_16421.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 567
There is no part C, lol.

Vitani11 said:
part A is wrong
What makes you say that? I also get ##\frac {3xF_0\Delta t}{2ML}##. The only thing I see wrong with your answer in the attachment is that you have renamed ##\Delta t## to just t.
Vitani11 said:
the force at the bottom is equal to the force at the top
If that were true there would be no acceleration of the rod's mass centre.

Likes Vitani11
Wow. That is honestly incredibly reassuring. Okay then... now onto B. Valid??

Attachments

• IMG_16441.jpg
    IMG_16441.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 615
Vitani11 said:
Wow. That is honestly incredibly reassuring. Okay then... now onto B. Valid??
Your image is a bit faint for my old eyes, but the final answer is right.

Likes Vitani11
Awesome. Thank you so much.

1. What is meant by "horizontal force" in this context?

Horizontal force refers to the component of force acting in a horizontal direction, parallel to the surface of the ground or other reference frame.

2. Why is the pivot exerting a force on the rod?

The pivot is exerting a force on the rod because it is the point of rotation for the rod. As the rod rotates, the pivot exerts a force to keep it in place and maintain its position.

3. How is the horizontal force exerted by the pivot on the rod calculated?

The horizontal force exerted by the pivot on the rod can be calculated using the equation F = m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass of the rod, and a is the acceleration of the rod caused by the pivot.

4. What factors can affect the horizontal force exerted by the pivot on the rod?

The horizontal force exerted by the pivot on the rod can be affected by several factors, such as the mass and length of the rod, the distance from the pivot to the point of force application, and the angle of rotation of the rod.

5. How does the horizontal force exerted by the pivot on the rod impact the motion of the rod?

The horizontal force exerted by the pivot on the rod is responsible for causing the rod to rotate. The magnitude and direction of this force can determine the speed and direction of the rod's rotation.