Mastering Derivatives: Tips and Tricks for Calculus Success

• Thread starter mathzeroh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivatives
In summary: Differentiation of FunctionsDifferentiation is the process of calculating the derivative of a function. The derivative is a number that tells you the slope of the tangent line to the graph at a specific point. It is important to remember that the derivative is not the equation of the tangent line.
mathzeroh
In light of my current failure of the first exam of my calculus class, I've been a bit discouraged, but i try not to let these grades get me down.

with that said, can anyone be so kind as to help me wrap my mind around the concept of derivatives? i have a shaky understanding of them as it is, therefore, any help or tips that you all may have, is greatly appreciated. how did you learn about them? what helped you go, "OH! i get it now!" ?

for example, how do i find this:

f'(-4)

and all I'm given is a graph of f(x).

any help on this??:confused: i greatly appreciate it in advance! thank you!

i tried my best to duplicate the graph, though it may be a poor representation. my apologies.

Attachments

• Graph of f(x).JPG
    Graph of f(x).JPG
    6.3 KB · Views: 401
Physics news on Phys.org
Well think about what a derivative is? What does the derivative of a function at a specific point mean?

i know that at a specific point, it's the equation of the tangent line.

but what about that example problem?:confused:

mathzeroh said:
i know that at a specific point, it's the equation of the tangent line.

but what about that example problem?:confused:

Well, that's your first problem- you know wrong!

The derivative of a function, at a specific point, is the slope of the tangent line to the graph at that point, a number, not the equation of the tangent line.

Now, it isn't easy to sketch the graph of f ' just by eyeballing the graph of f but in your specific case it looks like the graph is largely made of straight lines. Can you find the slope of those? Of course, where the graph is a straight line, the derivative at each point is the slope. Also you should be able to easily see where the derivative is positive, negative, or zero.

Be careful about places where the derivative does not exist.

HallsofIvy said:
Now, it isn't easy to sketch the graph of f ' just by eyeballing the graph of f but in your specific case it looks like the graph is largely made of straight lines. Can you find the slope of those? Of course, where the graph is a straight line, the derivative at each point is the slope. Also you should be able to easily see where the derivative is positive, negative, or zero.

Be careful about places where the derivative does not exist.

i don't understand. what about the quotient formulas?

mathzeroh said:
i don't understand. what about the quotient formulas?

I don't understand what that has to do with you're initial problem... You aren't differentiating a function you're trying to estimate the derivative at a point.

The derivative at a point is the slope of the tangent line at that point. If the graph happens to be a straight line, then the derivative at each point is the slope of that line.

You asked specifically about f'(-4). From your graph it looks like the graph there is a straight line through (-3, -2) and (-5, 2). What is the slope of that line?

the slope of that line is:

2-(-2)/(-5)-(-3)

=2+2/-5+3

=4/-2

=(-2)

is that it? :uhh: :confused:

HallsofIvy said:
The derivative at a point is the slope of the tangent line at that point. If the graph happens to be a straight line, then the derivative at each point is the slope of that line.

You asked specifically about f'(-4). From your graph it looks like the graph there is a straight line through (-3, -2) and (-5, 2). What is the slope of that line?

so was that it? -2?

mathzeroh said:
so was that it? -2?
Is it what? You were originally asking about f '(-4). One of the first things you should have learned about the derivative at a point is that it is the slope of the tangent line at that point. In particular if a graph is a straight line on an interval, its derivative at any point in that interval is its slope.

HallsofIvy said:
Is it what? You were originally asking about f '(-4). One of the first things you should have learned about the derivative at a point is that it is the slope of the tangent line at that point. In particular if a graph is a straight line on an interval, its derivative at any point in that interval is its slope.
But I thought his post #8, apart from some missing parentheses, is correct... :approve:
Isn't it?

HallsofIvy said:

well thanks a lot for your help. that makes sense. i guess its just something that will take a little while to sink in completely, but i know that once know it fully, i'll be better at knowing what to do. so the answer to my question of f'(-4) in that problem was -2, though right?:blushing: (just like VietDao said?)

What is the purpose of mastering derivatives in calculus?

The purpose of mastering derivatives in calculus is to develop a deep understanding of their concepts and applications, which are crucial for success in higher level mathematics and science courses. Derivatives are used to analyze rates of change, optimize functions, and solve various problems in physics, engineering, economics, and more.

What are some common challenges when learning derivatives in calculus?

Some common challenges when learning derivatives in calculus include understanding the various rules and properties of derivatives, knowing when to apply them, and being able to differentiate various types of functions. Many students also struggle with the algebraic manipulations involved in finding derivatives.

How can I improve my understanding of derivatives in calculus?

To improve your understanding of derivatives in calculus, it is important to practice applying the rules and properties, especially in real-world contexts. You can also deepen your understanding by exploring the connections between derivatives and other mathematical concepts, such as limits and integrals.

What are some tips and tricks for mastering derivatives in calculus?

Some tips and tricks for mastering derivatives in calculus include memorizing the basic rules and properties, practicing with a variety of functions, and breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts. It can also be helpful to work with a tutor or study group to discuss and solve problems together.

What are some resources for further learning about derivatives in calculus?

There are many resources available for further learning about derivatives in calculus, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. Additionally, many universities and educational websites offer free or low-cost courses on calculus and derivatives. It can also be helpful to seek out additional guidance from a teacher, tutor, or mentor.