Lab report help: calculating uncertainty

In summary, if you are multiplying two quantities with different uncertainties and the resulting number has fewer digits after the comma than the number of uncertainties in the original quantities, you should round up the digits in the original quantities.
theIBnerd

Homework Statement

I have a problem while writing the uncertainty of datas in my lab report (portfolio).
So, here is my question:

While multiplying some data with different uncertainties, I do multiply their uncertainties too, right?

Then, if the multiplication of uncertainities has less digits after comma than that of the actual multiplication af data; should I round up some digits of the actual multiplication of data?

Homework Equations

To make it more clear, here is an example:

Work= Force x distance
W(J)= m(kg) ±0.1 kg x g(m/sec2) ±0.1 m/sec2 x h(m) ±0.01 m
W= 47.9 kg x 9.79 m/sec2 x 3.975 m
W= 1864.040475 kg x m2/sec2= 1864.040475 Joule ±0.0001 Joule

The Attempt at a Solution

Should it be like:
W= 1864.0405 Joule ±0.0001 Joule ?

Physics news on Phys.org
When multiplying terms with calculated uncertainties, you cannot multiply the uncertainties themselves. Unless you're given an error equation, one of the best ways to go about finding the uncertainty for a quantity (such as work) is to use the computational method.

If you're trying to calculate work for example, and you have uncertainties in force and distance, you want to find the uncertainty in the work caused by the uncertainty in the force [tex] \delta_{W,F} [/tex], as well as the uncertainty in the work cause by the uncertainty in the distance [tex] \delta_{W,d}.[/tex]. Once you obtain these quantities, you can square them, add them together and take the square root to obtain the uncertainty in the work. It would be a little lengthy to describe the entire computational method, so I would suggest researching it online. I hope that helps.

First of all, thanks a lot! It really helped. My physics teacher does not give us these "details" (which I don't think so); I believe he expects us to suddenly come up with the idea of this process for uncertainties. Thank you anyway.

What is the purpose of calculating uncertainty in a lab report?

The purpose of calculating uncertainty is to determine the range of possible values for a measured quantity and to communicate the level of confidence in the measurement. This helps to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the data presented in the lab report.

How is uncertainty calculated?

Uncertainty is calculated by taking into account the precision of the measuring instrument and the variation in the measurement. This is typically done using statistical analysis and mathematical formulas, such as the standard deviation or the percent error.

Why is it important to include uncertainty in a lab report?

Including uncertainty in a lab report is important because it provides a more complete and accurate representation of the data. It also allows for comparison and evaluation of the results by other scientists, and helps to identify any potential sources of error in the experiment.

What are some common sources of uncertainty in a lab experiment?

Some common sources of uncertainty in a lab experiment include limitations of the measuring instrument, human error in recording measurements, external factors such as temperature or humidity, and inherent variability in the sample being tested.

How can uncertainty be minimized in a lab experiment?

Uncertainty can be minimized by using precise and calibrated measuring instruments, following proper experimental procedures, and repeating measurements multiple times to reduce random errors. It is also important to carefully consider and control for any potential sources of error in the experiment.