Calculating Measurement Error for a Digital Lux Meter

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the error of measurements taken with a lux meter for a lab report. The lux meter has a tolerance or accuracy of 5% and is a digital instrument with a maximum reading of 47.5 lux. The conversation also mentions the possibility of systematic error and whether or not to add a reading error of +0.1 to all errors. Ultimately, it is decided to take the error as independent on each reading and not to add the reading error unless it is significantly larger than the 5% error.
AltruisticVariation

Homework Statement

For my lab report I am asked to calculate the error of a couple of measurements which I did with a lux meter. I know that the lux meter has tolerance(or accuracy?) 5%. The instrument is digital and it's last digit is 0.1. The maximum reading is 47.5 lux.

Homework Equations

:

The Attempt at a Solution

:[/B][/B]
Is the error 5% of each measurement? Should I add reading error? I'm pretty confused, sorry if it's a silly question.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
AltruisticVariation said:
Is the error 5% of each measurement?
Do you mean, are the errors on different readings independent? Hard to know without knowing how the device works and what its chief source of error is, but I would expect some degree of systematic error.
Should I add reading error?
How is the reading done? Is it a digital readout or a sweeping hand on a dial?

Edited the post. The professor said that the error is 5%, nothing more and now I can't figure it out.

Edited the post. The professor said that the error is 5%, nothing more and now I can't figure it out.
Then take is as independent on each reading.
Just noticed you did state it is a digital readout. You mention the last digit is 0.1, but that doesn't help without knowing how large a typical reading is.

haruspex said:
Then take is as independent on each reading.
Just noticed you did state it is a digital readout. You mention the last digit is 0.1, but that doesn't help without knowing how large a typical reading is.

What do you mean by independent on each reading? 5% of each reading? The minimum value is 0 and the maximum 47.5. So the bigger the reading the bigger the error? For example what is the error when the reading is 0?

the bigger the reading the bigger the error?
That's what is usually meant by 5%.
What do you mean by independent on each reading
Measuring devices tend to have some systematic error. E.g. all readings tend to be, say, 1% over; or all tend to be so much under, etc.
Independent would mean that the error in one reading is unrelated to errors in other readings.

haruspex said:
That's what is usually meant by 5%.

Measuring devices tend to have some systematic error. E.g. all readings tend to be, say, 1% over; or all tend to be so much under, etc.
Independent would mean that the error in one reading is unrelated to errors in other readings.
Well yes possibly then we suppose we have no systematic error. Generally the devices were in pretty bad situation so the professor told us to consider the error 5%.
So should I add the reading error (+0.1 to all errors)? That makes sense to me.

Well yes possibly then we suppose we have no systematic error. Generally the devices were in pretty bad situation so the professor told us to consider the error 5%.
So should I add the reading error (+0.1 to all errors)? That makes sense to me.
It depends. If a reading is 100 then the ±5% is going to make the ±0.05 irrelevant.

haruspex said:
It depends. If a reading is 100 then the ±5% is going to make the ±0.05 irrelevant.
Yes sure. So the reading error isn't 0.1 that I thought? :nb)

What is the definition of "error of an instrument"?

The error of an instrument refers to the degree of inaccuracy or deviation from the true value of a measurement that is caused by imperfections in the instrument's design, calibration, or usage.

What are the types of errors that can occur in an instrument?

The types of errors that can occur in an instrument include random errors, systematic errors, and gross errors. Random errors are caused by chance and can be reduced by taking multiple measurements. Systematic errors are consistent and can be caused by faulty equipment or incorrect calibration. Gross errors are extreme outliers that can be caused by human error or malfunctioning equipment.

How is the error of an instrument calculated?

The error of an instrument is typically calculated by comparing the measured value to the true value and expressing the difference as a percentage or absolute value. This can be done by taking repeated measurements and calculating the average difference between the measured values and the known true value.

What are some ways to reduce the error of an instrument?

To reduce the error of an instrument, one can use more precise instruments, follow proper calibration procedures, and take multiple measurements to account for random errors. It is also important to minimize external factors that can affect the measurement, such as temperature or humidity.

Why is it important to consider the error of an instrument in scientific experiments?

The error of an instrument can significantly impact the accuracy and reliability of scientific experiments. By understanding and accounting for the potential errors in an instrument, scientists can ensure more precise and valid results. It also allows for comparisons between different experiments and instruments to be more accurately made.