Bachelors in Chemistry and Masters in Chemical Engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses the prospects of obtaining an engineering job without a bachelors in engineering. The speaker mentions that some jobs may require a professional engineer certification and suggests looking into the requirements for this in Canada. They also mention that in the US, a bachelor's in science can be acceptable with a master's in engineering. The conversation concludes by discussing the potential job prospects with a graduate degree in engineering.
EasyTuner21
Hello

I have a bachelors in chemistry and am planning to do a masters in chemical engineering. I was just wondering what the prospects would be of obtaining an engineering job without the bachelors in engineering? I am in Toronto if that matters.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The one concern I would have is that some jobs might require a professional engineer certification... you may want to look into this. I'm not sure of the requirements for this certification in Canada, but in the US you need a bachelor's degree in the field of interest (at least that's the present case in the US, but in I think 2015 or so, they will change it to include science majors plus 30 degrees graduate credit in engineering -- i.e. a bachelor's in science is ok if you have a master's in engineering).

Note: That might limit your prospects only if the job lists it as a requirement and if the company uses I computerized search. I'd still say your job prospects with a graduate degree in engineering are pretty good. :wink:

Thanks a lot for the information physicsgirl. May I ask what educational and career path you took?

What is the difference between a Bachelors in Chemistry and a Masters in Chemical Engineering?

A Bachelors in Chemistry typically focuses on the fundamental concepts and principles of chemistry, while a Masters in Chemical Engineering combines these principles with engineering principles to design and develop new chemical processes and products.

What are the job opportunities for graduates with a Bachelors in Chemistry and Masters in Chemical Engineering?

Graduates with a Bachelors in Chemistry can pursue careers in research, quality control, and production in industries such as pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, and environmental science. Graduates with a Masters in Chemical Engineering can work in various roles in industries such as biotechnology, energy, and materials science.

What skills can I expect to gain from a Bachelors in Chemistry and Masters in Chemical Engineering?

A Bachelors in Chemistry can help you develop strong analytical, problem-solving, and laboratory skills, while a Masters in Chemical Engineering can further enhance these skills and also provide you with skills in process design, data analysis, and project management.

What is the curriculum like for a Bachelors in Chemistry and Masters in Chemical Engineering?

The curriculum for a Bachelors in Chemistry typically includes courses in general chemistry, organic chemistry, analytical chemistry, and physical chemistry. A Masters in Chemical Engineering curriculum includes courses in chemical process design, transport phenomena, and thermodynamics, along with elective courses in areas such as biochemistry, polymers, and environmental engineering.

What are the prerequisites for pursuing a Bachelors in Chemistry and Masters in Chemical Engineering?

Most universities require students to have a strong background in math and science, particularly in chemistry, physics, and calculus, to pursue a Bachelors in Chemistry and Masters in Chemical Engineering. Some universities may also require students to have completed specific courses in chemistry and engineering prior to admission to a Masters program.