Are my goals realistic if I pursue a PhD at a mid/low rank school?

In summary: It depends. Would you be happy if you do something else for a day job, but teach the occasional math class at a small college for low pay? Getting an adjunct job is pretty easy, but the pay is awful (2k-3k for a 4 credit course), getting full time positions is very difficult.
lus1450
I'll be applying to PhD programs in pure math this fall. However, my profile isn't that outstanding, so I'll most likely being going to a "mid" to "low" rank (as determined by US News Grad Rankings, for what it's worth). Ultimately, I'd want to do research as well as teach lower/upper division math classes. That being said, I know how overfilled the market is with math PhDs, so even those from top 10 schools don't have much of a chance getting tenure, at least, not super fast. That being said, I'm totally okay with being able to either just teach lower/upper division classes with no research, or doing research and teaching at a "No Name" or "low rank" school. I just love the idea of always learning new mathematics and contributing to it, no matter how small or insignificant it may end up compared to others', and I don't think it's absolutely necessary to go to a top 10 school to do that. I could be wrong though. So given my last few statements about be content with ending up somewhere that's not necessarily top rank, are my goals for teaching/research realistic?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the target (as opposed to the plan) is somewhat unrealistic. There are relatively few career-track jobs out there of the sort you describe, and even "low rank" schools get some highly qualified candidates.

Community colleges in our area require an MS in the subject and at least 20 graduate credit hours in order to be qualified to teach 1st and 2nd year college math like Calculus I, II, III. So I think its possible that going to a second tier math school you'll be able to find work at least part-time at a local community college at some point.

Last edited:
Keep in mind also that it is not always about the name of the school, but who your mentor is. You can find some well known people in some not so well known places. Having your name associated with somebody well known in a particular field is very beneficial.

Vanadium 50 said:
I think the target (as opposed to the plan) is somewhat unrealistic. There are relatively few career-track jobs out there of the sort you describe, and even "low rank" schools get some highly qualified candidates.

Thanks for the reply. I'm from California, so I'm not sure if you're familiar with California State system. Even though none of them are "ranked" I do see that there quite a few professors from top schools and quite a few from mid rank schools. So even schools like that seem some what unrealistic if I want to teach there?

dkotschessaa said:
Keep in mind also that it is not always about the name of the school, but who your mentor is. You can find some well known people in some not so well known places. Having your name associated with somebody well known in a particular field is very beneficial.

Thanks for the reply. To expand on this, what is a good metric to finding a "well known" professor at these schools? I've recently been searching their names through the arXiv and the Genealogy Project, but I'm not sure if that tells me anything since having papers uploaded there doesn't mean they're being cited. Though, I think I'm getting some decent information by looking up how many students they had and where they ended up, but I'm not sure how complete the list is on Genealogy.

Zaculus said:
Thanks for the reply. To expand on this, what is a good metric to finding a "well known" professor at these schools? I've recently been searching their names through the arXiv and the Genealogy Project, but I'm not sure if that tells me anything since having papers uploaded there doesn't mean they're being cited. Though, I think I'm getting some decent information by looking up how many students they had and where they ended up, but I'm not sure how complete the list is on Genealogy.

I'm not exactly sure either, since I found this type of information out after I was already at the school for awhile. I think the number of publications, students, and where those students are working are pretty good indicators.

-Dave K

Zaculus said:
So given my last few statements about be content with ending up somewhere that's not necessarily top rank, are my goals for teaching/research realistic?

It depends. Would you be happy if you do something else for a day job, but teach the occasional math class at a small college for low pay? Getting an adjunct job is pretty easy, but the pay is awful (2k-3k for a 4 credit course), getting full time positions is very difficult.

Even high school teaching is tricky- with a phd you start at a higher pay bracket, so you are asking a school to take a chance on someone who will get paid more despite no experience teaching people in the age group.

1. What factors should I consider when determining if my goals are realistic for pursuing a PhD at a mid/low rank school?

There are several factors to consider when evaluating the feasibility of pursuing a PhD at a mid/low rank school. These include the reputation and resources of the school's program, the faculty and research opportunities available, the overall academic environment, and your own personal goals and motivations.

2. Will attending a mid/low rank school limit my career prospects after obtaining a PhD?

While attending a top-ranked school may provide certain advantages, such as networking opportunities and prestige, it is ultimately your own dedication, research experience, and publications that will determine your career prospects. Many successful scientists have come from mid/low rank schools and have made significant contributions to their fields.

3. How can I ensure a successful PhD experience at a mid/low rank school?

To have a successful PhD experience at a mid/low rank school, it is important to carefully research and choose a program with faculty and research opportunities that align with your interests and goals. Additionally, it is important to maintain strong communication with your advisor and actively seek out opportunities to present your research and collaborate with other scientists.

4. Are there any specific challenges or disadvantages to pursuing a PhD at a mid/low rank school?

One potential challenge of attending a mid/low rank school for a PhD is the lack of name recognition or brand recognition. This may make it more difficult to secure funding or job opportunities after graduation. Additionally, there may be fewer resources or opportunities available compared to a top-ranked school.

5. What advice do you have for someone considering pursuing a PhD at a mid/low rank school?

My advice would be to thoroughly research and consider your options before making a decision. Look into the faculty, research opportunities, and overall academic environment of the program to ensure it aligns with your goals. Additionally, be proactive in seeking out opportunities to present your research and collaborate with others in your field. Ultimately, your dedication and hard work will determine your success, regardless of the ranking of your school.